How much really??

Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all
Default Re: How much really??

Originally Posted by BEVS
Mate. Don't even try to go there with me in this way. I'm not sad. Sad and me don't go together. I'm realistic. Very realistic It's in my nature.

This is possible in the UK. More than possible. Our friends and family are doing this all the time. I was doing that back in the UK. A single parent friend of mine just did a 2 week camping trip down to Devon . No sweat.

If you're not happy where you are & think a move to NZ will help all of that then that is fine , however, please don't try to undermine others - my - experiences here. We live it.
I've only just read this. Think its a bit unfair. Wasn't trying to be anything other than friendly.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Scousebird
I've been pondering about this question due to recent threads so I hope I can ask this well so it will make sense so here goes.

There has been much debate about the cost of living in NZ and how expensive it is. I've never been under any illusion that I will make my fortune by going out to NZ as we want more of the outdoor living lifestyle.

Posts keep stating about this is expensive, that is expensive but I'm trying to understand this. The recession has hit most countries and everything is expensive these days. My shopping, running a car, household bills and childcare are killers and I feel I work to pay bills and not to live. I can't food shop for 'just bits' without spending £40-50 and believe you me I am a good budget shopper. All my bills have increased from insurance to household. I don't live beyond my means and I buy what I can afford.

How is NZ anymore expensive than the UK? I get confused sometimes with the talk of £ versus the $ and feel that possibly that some view NZ as expensive because it's not 3 for 1 anymore?? Therefore it's costly because the £ is not going as far as it use to and everything is compared. Still with me?? I know if I went to Australia with only £ and didn't have a job I would find it very expensive. But if I did have a job I would manage just like I do here by working hard and doing without.

As an example £40,000 in the UK is tough to live on in the UK with children, childcare etc but is $80,000 in NZ tough live off to? If so aren't both countries just as expensive because of the current economic climate?

I appreciate all the information people put on about expenses etc as it gets me thinking and helps make the ultimate decision of doing the right thing but I just really need to put the financial situation in perspective. Would appreciate others view and hope that I've explained myself clearly as sleep deprivation can impact upon your thought process/ability to speak!!
This was your opening post. You ask the question , then argue against the answers you've received. Ultimately , it is up to you.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
This was your opening post. You ask the question , then argue against the answers you've received. Ultimately , it is up to you.
Just wanted lots of views thats all and a good debate as its a huge decision. Apologises if Ive offended but I didnt think I had.

Last edited by Scousebird; Sep 14th 2011 at 11:29 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:28 am
`

Just wanted lots of views thats all and a good debate as its a huge decision.
and a huge decision many of us have made already. We have been and are living this life. Don't write us off as happy clappy, miserable, settled, unsettled or.........sad.

You need to do some hard sums here. Forget all this guff about beaches and free time and free stuff. Do the hard sums. That is what will count for your own 'lifestyle'.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The outdoor lifestyle is there for sure....if you don't mind the increased skin cancer risk but at the end of the day your figures need to add up before you leave UK, because unless you get headhunted or posted by an international company, you will as others have said be expected to start a rung or two down apparently because of a 'lack of Kiwi experience'.

Look if you are in Merseyside, the one thing that will be better on the whole for you on North Island is the weather. Is that enough to make it worth the hassle and expense and then the frugal lifestyle that will be your reality if you can't get a high enough paying job to maintain your UK lifestyle?

What about trips back to UK? Will there be any? If so how will you fund those?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Scousebird

It is a big “ask”, that which you have asked. The thing is, like most everyone has said, it really does depend on many variables, non more-so than the person asking the question, as only they know to what standard they expect to live. I guess you can be the one to narrow down the field a bit, ie your job/s, the area you wish to live, your lifestyle, type of vacations you like to do etc. It is no easy task, but there are websites you can find the cost of most things on, but it wont be easy. Other than that, try and gauge the feel of people on the forum who are living/working as you will be. Even then there will be some who are satisfied, and others who are not.

I know it is a major concern for most people when they move, especially if you have children with you, but there are other factors too, which for us anyway, seem as important, if not more so. Admittedly, we don’t have little ones, but even so, some things which we considered important before we moved, are less so now, and others which we never gave a though to, well they did catch us out somewhat.

I’m sorry if this doesn’t seem to help at all, but there are many here who are better qualified than me to answer the economics of it all, indeed you only have to look at the answers your question has generated, let alone past threads where all this has been poured over so many times.

In a nutshell, given that you would be earning around $80k, if you choose your location carefully, don’t want to live the highlife, and have mediocre expectations, then you should be fine.

All the very best with your decision whatever you do.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Direct comparison doesnt show that much different to UK depending on where you live though - then it's only about £5000 difference. London versus Liverpool would help understand that.

Whats your understanding of holidays/sick pay, working hours with cyf??

Really, i thought it was much different! my salary here is much less than i was on in the uk, and unfortunately the job is very much the same shit with better views lol most vacancies are full time (40hrs) with CYf you have to work on call approx every three weeks but this depends on the area you work and the size of the office, case loads here are higher than i had in the uk which can be difficult to manage but that also depends on the area as we cover a large area. CYF and health are covered by a collective agreement if your in the union so leave tends to be set at 4 weeks, not sure about sick leave to be honest i know i get some just not sure how much. Perhaps it would help if you gave an idea of the areas you are looking at?

The reality is that NZ is expensive to live thou, and most of the posts on here will reflect that, but to me its better to have the reality, from the people that know as when we are in the throws of our planning we tend to look through rose tinted glasses! well i did anyway. I have now accepted that i cant do half as much here as i did in the uk, and that my rent here is much higher, my food is def more expensive and my bills are higher.
Doom and gloom aside i am quite happy here at the moment, and am having fun exploring the country side and the many beaches which are free, and the semi positive side is that i save money as the clothes are shite so i dont buy anything lol.

good luck with what ever you choose to do
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Moliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really nice

I've been pondering about this question due to recent threads so I hope I can ask this well so it will make sense so here goes.

There has been much debate about the cost of living in NZ and how expensive it is. I've never been under any illusion that I will make my fortune by going out to NZ as we want more of the outdoor living lifestyle.

Posts keep stating about this is expensive, that is expensive but I'm trying to understand this. The recession has hit most countries and everything is expensive these days. My shopping, running a car, household bills and childcare are killers and I feel I work to pay bills and not to live. I can't food shop for 'just bits' without spending £40-50 and believe you me I am a good budget shopper. All my bills have increased from insurance to household. I don't live beyond my means and I buy what I can afford.

How is NZ anymore expensive than the UK? I get confused sometimes with the talk of £ versus the $ and feel that possibly that some view NZ as expensive because it's not 3 for 1 anymore?? Therefore it's costly because the £ is not going as far as it use to and everything is compared. Still with me?? I know if I went to Australia with only £ and didn't have a job I would find it very expensive. But if I did have a job I would manage just like I do here by working hard and doing without.

As an example £40,000 in the UK is tough to live on in the UK with children, childcare etc but is $80,000 in NZ tough live off to? If so aren't both countries just as expensive because of the current economic climate?

I appreciate all the information people put on about expenses etc as it gets me thinking and helps make the ultimate decision of doing the right thing but I just really need to put the financial situation in perspective. Would appreciate others view and hope that I've explained myself clearly as sleep deprivation can impact upon your thought process/ability to speak!!
We have an income here of approx $70.000 (some commission based) two adults one child no mortgage, paying rent. plus $20.000 per annum from property income in the UK. Having been here nearly a year, Auckland) will be going back after Christmas.Too many reasons to mention why but one is def cost of living, shockingly expensive, couldn't retire here on a reasonable income let alone a good one.As prev said depends on your expectations..if very basic good luck!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted lots of views thats all and a good debate as its a huge decision.
It is a huge decision, but really don't think it's any longer about making the decision, is it? Like most that are on here, you've have made your mind up already and are psychologically on your way; just looking for some reassurance that you're doing the right thing. Some will tell you to go for it, you'll be fine and you can live like a king, others will tell you it's struggle street. I't horses for courses; for some the view of the beach makes the struggle worthwhile, for others it does not.

I would have thought that you would know most of the score already, you lived here before, didn't you? I doubt much has changed, cost of living has gone up, wages haven't

People will tell you they're not motivated by money and that lifestyle will compensate. That's easier said than done and they won't know how they will feel about that until the money is no longer there. I wonder why don't they already live that 'simpler' life, why haven't they already abandoned the materialistic ways that they so long to get away from? Why do they continue to spend all they earn and more and hence aren't coming here well cotchelled up.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

One thing I will say and that is when we first got here, we couldn’t understand why so many people looked so scruffy, and had old cars, shabby unpainted houses etc. I admit, I thought many folk here were generally just unkempt because they knew no better. When we actually started to look at DIY materials, clothing shops for ourselves, we realised that to purchase a tin of emulsion paint is actually quite a big deal for many folk, seeing as it can cost the equivalent of someone’s daily wage!

Lets put it another way, if you were on minimum wage, and you wanted a big tub of Dulux, it would be more like two days wages!!!!

I know this is only one of ten thousand examples, but it did seem to give us some perspective.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice
Talking Re: How much really??

I only read the first page or so.......I earn about the same here as I did in the UK as does my wife. We DO have more money at the end of the week and in fact save money which is something I have never been able to do at home.

More than that, the weather is better, the beaches are nicer and there are a LOT less people/cars/houses/trucks.....etc.

I went to the beach (Less crowded) more times in 3 months than in ten years at home. I go out with the family every weekend in the summer (and spend little if I don't want to)........that's the life style I moved out here for. I came with no money and have to send money home to cover the mortgage,.........would I move back? Would I bollox.........there are shit loads wrong with this country but FOR ME there a shit load MORE that's right.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest rip off I've had so far was down in St Heliers, I'd run out of a cheap Nasal spray I take, in the UK they were £1.95 from any supermarket. I took the empty one down to the Chemist and asked for the Kiwi equivalent. The woman behind the counter picked their cheapest alternative and asked for $26. I nearly choked, I said I wasn't paying 7 times the price, she just shrugged her shoulders and said 'welcome to New Zealand'.

Time and time again I'm horrified how much basic things are, with the dollar been so high imports should be cheap. If there's one thing really proving hard for us and a possible reason we'll go home is the cost of living. When I've slogged my bollocks off all week at work and going for a few beers costs the earth I seriously worry about our future in NZ.

It's a bloody good job the beaches are stunning.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:24 am
`

Originally Posted by witty
I only read the first page or so.......I earn about the same here as I did in the UK as does my wife. We DO have more money at the end of the week and in fact save money which is something I have never been able to do at home.

More than that, the weather is better, the beaches are nicer and there are a LOT less people/cars/houses/trucks.....etc.

I went to the beach (Less crowded) more times in 3 months than in ten years at home. I go out with the family every weekend in the summer (and spend little if I don't want to)........that's the life style I moved out here for. I came with no money and have to send money home to cover the mortgage,.........would I move back? Would I bollox.........there are shit loads wrong with this country but FOR ME there a shit load MORE that's right.
and there you go. Here is someone earning more but having to fund a mortgage in another country . However, they are very happy with the lifestyle they have.

Karrma for the post Witty as it offers balance to the thread in terms of lifestyle wanted and gained.

For the record. I'm not unhappy here. It is what it is and it's OK for the most part. Not awful. Not great.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Tricky266 will become famous soon enoughTricky266 will become famous soon enough

This is just so funny....

Range of typical starting salaries: £23,500 - £30,000 (salary data collected Aug 09).

Range of typical salaries in first management roles (with two or three years' experience): £30,000 - £42,000 (salary data collected Aug 09).

Typical salary at senior level/with experience (e.g. after 10-15 years in the role): £57,000 (salary data collected Aug 09)

So how come after 25 years working as a senior graphic designer I am at the celing salary of just £26K? If I was to move job in the local area, I would end up dropping down the salary scale ...and who gets a managerial role after 2 to 3 years experience? - cloud cookoo land!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:54 am
`

Originally Posted by Tricky266
So how come after 25 years working as a senior graphic designer I am at the celing salary of just £26K? If I was to move job in the local area, I would end up dropping down the salary scale ...and who gets a managerial role after 2 to 3 years experience? - cloud cookoo land!
I don't know. This is about New Zealand & Scousebird is a social worker I believe. A whole other ball game from a graphic designer probably.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.