Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much rain ???????????

How much rain ???????????

Old May 27th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

mccgirls is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How much rain ???????????

Just wondered if anyone knows the average rainfall by region in NZ.

I'm trying to decide where to live and don't want too much rain. short sharp blasts are okbut all day drizzel doesn't appeal atall

Short list at the moment includes, Tauranga, Gisborne in the North or Nelson/ Blemheim in the south based on my limited knowledge so far

Thanks
Carole
Old May 27th 2007, 9:35 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: How much rain ???????????

Originally Posted by mccgirls
The met service does I bet.

I'm trying to decide where to live and don't want too much rain. short sharp blasts are okbut all day drizzel doesn't appeal atall

Short list at the moment includes, Tauranga, Gisborne in the North or Nelson/ Blemheim in the south based on my limited knowledge so far

Thanks
Carole
Don't forget the Hawkes Bay. The Canterbury Plains are not particularly rainy. Other than those, I think you've about covered it. Well done on your research.

Good luck.
Old May 27th 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Thanks
Carole
In general... east coast = dryer, west coast = wetter. Especially true in the south island given the mountain range between west and east.
Also to your list add Central Otago (Alexandra, Queenstown) it is really dry there. Interesting climate there, v v hot in summer, v v cold in winter.
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php => excellent website with lots of data.
Old May 27th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

i am sure that this year may be exceptional, but it has hardly rained since we have arrived here in January, most days have been sunny and in the sunshine, it is warm even now at the end of May = end November. The weather has been very pleasant, even in Wellington that has a bad reputation. All my rellies live around Nelson which with Blenheim, seems to have the highest sun record in the country. I guess a good guide to the best weasther is to find where the winegrowing areas are , they will relect the sunniest spots. Fjordland is not one, it is one of the wettest places in the world, 6m a year, 5 days without rain is considered a drought, it rained and rained when we were there in summer

After last summer in Europe when it was too hot even to go out, the weather seems to be like perfect English summers day, a warm sun but not too hot, with a sight cooling breeze.
There are very few grey days like in Northern Europe, and the weather changes very quickly. The better warmer locations are in the shadow of the prevailing westerlies and to the East. But i have been very very pleased with the weather so far.
Old May 28th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like rain avoid ROTORUA, as a kiwi told me after it rained EVERYDAY in Feb 2004 when my Mum and Grandma visited, if you want the lakes, you got to have some rain. It is quite unbelievable when it rains, tropical down pours !!! Then due to the shallow earths crust it dries up in minutes, well it does in Rotorua.

Gill
Old May 28th 2007, 8:13 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Avoid Hamilton too - it rained everyday for 41 days Jan/Feb 2004 - and not short, sharp shocks - ALL DAY DRIZZLE
Old May 28th 2007, 8:19 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome from Sunny Blenheim

This is us at the moment!

http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/...alias=blenheim

The weather here is generally very good, but it would appear that when it rains it pours!! Yesterday we were in shorts & t-shirts!!!

No sign of british winters thank god, cos I hate grey skies, they make me depressed
Old May 28th 2007, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kev&sarah

The weather here is generally very good, but it would appear that when it rains it pours!! Yesterday we were in shorts & t-shirts!!!

No sign of british winters thank god, cos I hate grey skies, they make me depressed
Thanks for all your advice, I think Blenheim is certainly looking favourite at the moment. I don't mind tropical downpours because usually they are over pretty quickly but I also cannot stand the grey skies of winter over here.

What are the schools like in Blemheim? I noticed they have a huge gymnastics club there also and I daughter is really into her competative gymnastics so I think it would suit her also

Thanks
Carole
Old May 28th 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for all advice, Blenheim sound great and I think is going to top of the list. I don't mind tropical rain storms if they end quickly, it's bleak grey winters I can't stand.

I noticed Blehheim have a huge gymnastics club aswell which would be great for my daughter as she is heavily into her competative gym

What are the schools like there?
Old May 28th 2007, 11:04 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

It`s not the rain you need to worry about it`s the flooding and the land slips .Live on the side of a hill on stilts and hey slide away sometimes .Live on the flat and hey flooding .My tip ,live on a small hill and buy a 4x4 .
!We had 5 weeks non stop rain last Oct ,not a good start was it ,also there was a lot of land slips(we call them land slides) .Rock falls here are taken lightly also ,perhaps it`s what you /we will get used to ..

after all we knew what we were coming to didn`t we?? .

Well we did ,we did 2 reccie trips here with a 4 yr difference and still never got put off..

Put me off ,...

..NEVER>
Old May 29th 2007, 8:33 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your advice, I think Blenheim is certainly looking favourite at the moment. I don't mind tropical downpours because usually they are over pretty quickly but I also cannot stand the grey skies of winter over here.

What are the schools like in Blemheim? I noticed they have a huge gymnastics club there also and I daughter is really into her competative gymnastics so I think it would suit her also

Thanks
Carole

The schools are generally very good, lots of sport. How old is your daughter? Once they go up to High School, your only option is Marlborough Girls School unless you send them to Christchurch or nelson to board.

As for gymnastics, my younger daughter did it back in the UK and decided that she didn't want to continue here but I think she's probably rethinking her decision. I know other kids that go there who say that it is excellent.

If I can be of any help, give us a shout
Old May 29th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

God I wish it WOULD rain! we're so low on water (again, but that's thanks to no rain for weeks and weeks and weeks and tank issues).

What's up with this country? it never rains!
Old May 29th 2007, 8:57 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soulflour
God I wish it WOULD rain! we're so low on water (again, but that's thanks to no rain for weeks and weeks and weeks and tank issues).

You should have said hun, bring your water tank down here. It did the proverbial last week !!!

21 degrees again by Sunday though!
Old May 29th 2007, 10:29 am
Just Joined

The schools are generally very good, lots of sport. How old is your daughter? Once they go up to High School, your only option is Marlborough Girls School unless you send them to Christchurch or nelson to board.

As for gymnastics, my younger daughter did it back in the UK and decided that she didn't want to continue here but I think she's probably rethinking her decision. I know other kids that go there who say that it is excellent.

If I can be of any help, give us a shout
Hi Sarah, My daughter will be 14 November, I am not planning on arriving over there until 2nd half of next year. She will be taking her SAT's in May 08 and then she would be ready to choose her GCSE subjects if we were staying here. I know It is quite different over there but haven't quite got my head around the school system yet. Do you know if they pick subjects at her age similar to here, also what is Marlborough high school like? are there any catholic schools in the area??

She loves her Gym and I can't see her wanting to give it up, she has been training since she was 6 and regularly competes. I'm a typical taxi service running her backwards and forwards 4 times a week!!!!! That club over there sounds great though
Old May 29th 2007, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by soulflour

Send me you tank, it's done nothing but rain here for 3 days solid non stop and the skies are so bleak........and grey..............and bleak.............:curse::curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.