Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How Much Money Would We Need?

Wikiposts

How Much Money Would We Need?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future
Default How Much Money Would We Need?

My husband has been offered a job in NZ with a salary of $45000nzd which we know is not fantastic, however, we will have around £4000 savings to bring after having to shell out for shipping, immigration fees etc.

We are not planning on selling our house here as we thought we would give it a year before making that final decision as to whether we liked it or not and should we have to return to the UK then we wouldn't be able to get back on the housing ladder. We would take a 12 month mortgage holiday.

My husband is now having second thoughts about going as he has heard from colleagues that people they know say $10-20k is needed as you may have to live on savings due to the salary until house here in UK is sold. I want to go but he thinks we wouldn't have enough money.

What do those of you who have gone to NZ think???

Suze
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How Much Money Would We Need?

Do you still need to take a mortgage holiday if you have your house in the UK rented out? If you have to do this you add a whopping amount of interest to your mortgage and it will take you several *years* longer to pay off your mortgage.

Please get advice from your bank on who much taking a mortgage holiday will actually cost, then you can weigh it up as to whether or not it is worth it.

I would imagine that this is something that your bank would be very happy to do for you, as they can see the extra $$$ that they will be making out of you.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ranbysue
My husband has been offered a job in NZ with a salary of $45000nzd which we know is not fantastic, however, we will have around £4000 savings to bring after having to shell out for shipping, immigration fees etc.

We are not planning on selling our house here as we thought we would give it a year before making that final decision as to whether we liked it or not and should we have to return to the UK then we wouldn't be able to get back on the housing ladder. We would take a 12 month mortgage holiday.

My husband is now having second thoughts about going as he has heard from colleagues that people they know say $10-20k is needed as you may have to live on savings due to the salary until house here in UK is sold. I want to go but he thinks we wouldn't have enough money.

Suze
Hi Suze

My husband and I came out last march without the benefit of selling our house, so didnt have much in the way of savings, we came with about 2500 pounds, although we did have the benefit of being able to stay with the mother in law for the first 3 weeks until we got a rental property which took the initial where will we stay when we first get there. We didnt have job offers, although hubby was lucky enough to get offered a job on the first monday we got here so started a week after we got here. His job is earning about what your hubby will be earning so we managed to be able to rent a house and get by, it was a bit of a struggle on one wage until I got a job, so things got easier. We didnt ship much in the way of furniture so had to buy most things, so if you have all your furniture and stuff coming that is less of a burden on the finances.

I wouldnt say it was easy, but we managed to do it, although we did take a loan out to buy a car, but paid it off when we did sell our house in the UK, we got here in March and the house sold in the october

this may sound stupid and I dont mean to offend but will your mortgage company let you take a 12 month mortgage holiday...that seems awfully long

any more questions then ask away

dawn
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

A difficult one to answer without knowing more details such as where you'll be living and if you have kids. $45k is not much, especially in a big city and your savings will just about cover a car and a few other initial expenses so you can forget those. I'd say if you have kids and this will be the sole income, it will be very difficult, but if you have no kids and you can earn a similar income you'll be laughing.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Suze
we have about this amount with 2 kids & 1 income & we manage but it is tight
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

would you do it again, is it all worth it for the better way of life?

suze
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

suze
wouldn't change a thing
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

suze
Hi Suze, you have been posting on here for around a year and a half (?) and everytime you ask this question. I think it might be at the point where you decide one way or the other and just get on with it

PS this post is meant nicely, not horribly, please don't take offence.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Do You Know Your Reply Made Me Go All Hot And Cold When I Read It As I Know I Have Been posting On Here For A While now, Except That It Has Been Rather A Long Time Since I Did Actually discuss on this forum anything About Going To Nz. I have only asked as we had decided more or less not to go but the corrections department contacted us again asking if we were still interested but with summer start date.

I Don't Believe I Have Asked This particular Question Before And I Know You Didn't Mean To Offend Me But It Has Made Me Feel That Maybe I Don't Have The Right To Ask Any Questions Seeing As I Have Asked Questions In The Past.

Maybe You're Right, I Should Already Know The Answers To One Of The Biggest Decisions In Our Life as it appears from what you and possibly others see that I have been on this website for too long and should know the answers by now

Last edited by ranbysue; Feb 10th 2007 at 10:12 am.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Yeah well, forget I said anything then.
You might not have asked that exact question, but everytime you post you seem filled with self doubt and wanting others to give you the confidence to make the decision.
I guess this is one of those things that you need to listen to your gut feeling and you family and decide one way or another.
As for not asking questions, please, ask away, it is just sometimes you may not like the answer!
PS It must have taken you ages to capitilise every word
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

jayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to alljayne333 is a name known to all

Hi Suze,

We've been ready to leave for NZ twice now and still not gone.

I have had 2 lots of residents visas come and expire!

We are considering it again this summer.

Your not alone in you indecision, and your posts generate discussion which is the purpose of this board.

So keep asking your questions

best wishes

Jayne

Last edited by jayne333; Feb 10th 2007 at 11:04 am. Reason: poor grammar, poor spelling
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:16 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Suze
Bear in mind you have a job to go too
You can budget accordingly.

Check out the real estate online
Net pay can be worked out by NZ inland revenue website

After initial costs of setting up a place to live you would need transport and some coverage for flights and first month or fortnight awaiting pay.

It could be done safely but you would need to budget and not be looking for a luxury lifestyle (initially) - but to me luxury is a days fishing, fire on the beach, deep sleep in warm bed with OH.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Regardless of how much wedge---How badly do you want to come here?

If you have any reservations --don't come--you will not fit in.And we don't want you.

This gives others who are committed to be new Kiwi's a better suck of the sauce bottle.

This is life--not a dress rehearsal.

This is not meant to hurt you but is just a reality check
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

I think it's a little harsh to say "if you have reservations don't come - we don't want you"
I'm sure loads of people have had some reservations before coming, it is a life changing move. We hoped it would be a better life for us as a family and so far it has been but we didn't know that until we got here!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:39 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue,

I had no reservations about coming and neither did my husband. We never did a reccie either but I am glad we made the move. We didn't come out with tons of money either and got by ok.

I am working now and things are good and we will be moving into our own house in 2 weeks after renting here for 14 months. Its a hard decision and only you and your hubby can make it, but in my opinion it was the best decision we have made for us and our family......bite the bullet love, if it all turns pear shaped you can always go home.

Sue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.