Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much money should new settlers bring?

How much money should new settlers bring?

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:22 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money should new settlers bring?

Originally Posted by paddy234
I can't help but feel that most people on this entire New Zealand sub section who have moved from Britain feel it was a bad decision and regret it
Yeah, that's about right. Whilst I don't regret being here, my biggest regret will be not leaving here.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 3rd 2013 at 12:28 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point

It really depends on how quickly one can find reasonable job so they don't have to dive into their pockets - my DW's instructor told her their are good jobs in welly & AKL for graphic motion designers, animators etc. so if she can have a secure job before arriving that would be ideal and she is working on developing her show reel and website. Does anyone have contacts with companies or knows companies that need employees in this line of work?

I have read some people saying bring your furniture etc. It may cost a lot to bring in a container so would it not be okay to buy 2nd hand bits there? I cant imagine shipping mattresses, beds, bunks from here, how much would it cost us to buy these 2nd hand there along with a fridge, desktop computer , kitchen ware, cooker etc.? Any guidelines would be appreciated. cheers
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

depends what you need to buy, we have been in chch a month and spent about $40k - 2 x cars $20k and the rest was set up stuff and first months day to day living. We found an unfurnished rental that included all white goods otherwise this figure would have been more. Put it like this, our house deposit has reduced way past what we anticipated. But we absolutely love it here and so have set overselves up for the long run....
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citybanklondon
It really depends on how quickly one can find reasonable job so they don't have to dive into their pockets - my DW's instructor told her their are good jobs in welly & AKL for graphic motion designers, animators etc. so if she can have a secure job before arriving that would be ideal and she is working on developing her show reel and website. Does anyone have contacts with companies or knows companies that need employees in this line of work?

. cheers
Re your wife: My son also came here with a degree in animation and multi media and one years work experience as a user interface artist but he hasn't found work in that field as they all want 3+years experience. There are animation companies in AKL WGTN and Dunedin. His experience of job hunting in Wgtn is that Companies like to meet you face to face, he found work through an agency.
HTH
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I can't help but feel that most people on this entire New Zealand sub section who have moved from Britain feel it was a bad decision and regret it
The last two days have been 20°C and it's the middle of winter. To put that in perspective a couple of days ago a mate back in Bonnie Scotland put a new picture of the car thermometer on FB showing 20°C (in summer!) It was a rare thing to get to those giddy temps, the locals would be fanning their sweaty red faces and saying "machty warrum" - and of course it was, relatively. I moved for the climate and have no regrets