Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much money should new settlers bring?

How much money should new settlers bring?

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much money should new settlers bring?

Hello Folks,

As a ball park figure how much cash assets should new immigrants bring with them bearing in mind the cost of living ? I assume for Auckland more resources would be required but in places like Hamilton/ Chch for an initial period of 6 months how much should one have to feel secure for a family of 4 for things like:

Food
Utilities
Transport
kids schools
Rent
Internet/phone
other misc costs

If other members have had experience of this then please enlighten us especially those coming to NZ for the first time.... many thanjs
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:23 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money should new settlers bring?

Originally Posted by citybanklondon
Hello Folks,

As a ball park figure how much cash assets should new immigrants bring with them bearing in mind the cost of living ? I assume for Auckland more resources would be required but in places like Hamilton/ Chch for an initial period of 6 months how much should one have to feel secure for a family of 4 for things like:

Food
Utilities
Transport
kids schools
Rent
Internet/phone
other misc costs

If other members have had experience of this then please enlighten us especially those coming to NZ for the first time.... many thanjs
About the same amount of money as you would need for 6months in London. Groceries are more expensive in Nz as is internet.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks shocked kiwi (btw are you shocked due to the cost of living there?) anyhow it seems GBP 2500 x 6 or about NZ $ 28k should do for 6 months in that case and give us time to find jobs! cheers mate
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks shocked kiwi (btw are you shocked due to the cost of living there?) anyhow it seems GBP 2500 x 6 or about NZ $ 28k should do for 6 months in that case and give us time to find jobs! cheers mate
Don't forget to add on any extras like car purchase. We've been in Oz 3months and spent around that already and there's only 2 of us.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We have been here for a month and with car purchase (inc insurance etc), temp rental, permanent rental (bonds, rent up front, insurance, sky TV) food, school fees, school books, fuel, stuff you need but is in storage etc etc etc, the list goes on we have spent over $20,000 OUCH
There are 4 of us, 2 adults 2 kids

Last edited by moonie2011; Jul 2nd 2013 at 6:34 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

old.sparkles-- was this spent whilst you were working or just from savings? or whilst looking for jobs, as surely if two people are working they will get by from their incomes, wont they, the reason I ask is that to budget initially for 6 months is a safe thing as we expect to be in work and earning within the 6 month period.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

old.sparkles-- was this spent whilst you were working or just from savings? or whilst looking for jobs, as surely if two people are working they will get by from their incomes, wont they, the reason I ask is that to budget initially for 6 months is a safe thing as we expect to be in work and earning within the 6 month period.
I'm still job hunting - so this is from savings. If you have a job lined up already then obviously you wont need as much. (And the two is me and young spark )
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope you are able to find work, I know a few people. some on here, who have been here over a year and are still unable to find work.

I think you need to be looking at the area you want to land, check out the rental costs, furnishing the rental, travel costs, insurance, money for Dr's, dentist, school fees, books, and then obviously the day to day running costs and then the days out fees etc. It does all depend on how you manage the money you do have but you do need to work out a realistic figure to be working to. IMHO the more the better
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

$40k will just about be enough.

Rent, food and petrol will take nearly a grand a week and all the other living costs will be about another 500 a week. It ain't a cheap place to live unless you're willing to just get by like many have to.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

barnsleymat- that is a lot of money for 6 months and equates to about
GBP 4k/month, which is $8k NZD. Its the same problem as in the UK where average wage is GBP 20k and rent seems to consume 60% of peoples income and food 30% leaving too little for utilities and recreation/transport etc. Seems NZ and the UK have similar parameters as far as cost of living is concerned.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

barnsleymat- that is a lot of money for 6 months and equates to about
GBP 4k/month, which is $8k NZD. Its the same problem as in the UK where average wage is GBP 20k and rent seems to consume 60% of peoples income and food 30% leaving too little for utilities and recreation/transport etc. Seems NZ and the UK have similar parameters as far as cost of living is concerned.
You are moving from an expensive little island to an expensive, remote little island.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I can't help but feel that most people on this entire New Zealand sub section who have moved from Britain feel it was a bad decision and regret it
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's not the case at all. All that is being shown is that NZ is an expensive place to live. Most seem to settle into their new lives one way or another , regardless, of the COL here. I can't recall anyone regretting the move. Not even those that have moved on.

This is a 'costs' thread so people are bound to state it is not cheap to be here. Your post might make for a new thread and poll about your subject.
Good/bad decision
Regret/ No regret

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 2nd 2013 at 10:04 pm. Reason: blummin' google blocks.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paddy234
I can't help but feel that most people on this entire New Zealand sub section who have moved from Britain feel it was a bad decision and regret it
NOT AT ALL

It's just part of the move

We bought over $10,000 with us and that survived us until first pay day. It was only till after first pay day did we then decide to get a car etc. We found a cheap place which didn't require much bond in the city centre but that was only short term due to Decembers rattle
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of living has increased since we arrived 2007. Bring as much money as you can! (And bring all your furniture and white goods.) It depends on the lifestyle you want to have. Are you planning to buy a property? Go on holidays, buy a car? Eat out occasionally?

We have to budget carefully as my husband has not had engineering consultancy work for a year due to downturn, and I'm on a lowly T.A pittance of a hourly rate. I'm still glad we left UK but sometimes wonder if Australia would have been better for us work-wise where we would be earning a higher hourly rate and my UK qualifications are recognized .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.