Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much money did you take?

View Poll Results: How much money did you take?
Less than £5,000
5.88%
£5,000 - £10,000
5.88%
£10,000 - £20,000
5.88%
£20,000 - £30,000
11.76%
£30,000 plus
70.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How much money did you take?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:23 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice
Default How much money did you take?

We are wondering how much we need to realistically save to cover all the moving costs.... ie Flights, first few months rent and setup fees. Just the two of us no kids and nothing being shipped so starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance

Fi
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Re: How much money did you take?

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat
We are wondering how much we need to realistically save to cover all the moving costs.... ie Flights, first few months rent and setup fees. Just the two of us no kids and nothing being shipped so starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance

Fi
Hi

If we manage to sell the house we would take approx. 100k, this is probably falling every day

Cheers Jads
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Thanks for the votes so far.... reason we ask is that we are in our mid 20s and have had to drop our house price massively and are now only going to be walking away with less than 10k yes that is TEN!!!! so are trying to see if we will be able to make it work.

Fi
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:55 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be able to live with that, as long as you get jobs sorted quick as.
Biggest problem you may face is the attempt to get on the kiwi property ladder, and then not losing your footing.
Best of luck anyway, we're poorer but happier.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat
Thanks for the votes so far.... reason we ask is that we are in our mid 20s and have had to drop our house price massively and are now only going to be walking away with less than 10k yes that is TEN!!!! so are trying to see if we will be able to make it work.

Fi

Well thats about $25k............... so not a bad start for 2 adults who can both work and with no kids in tow!! Many moons ago I was in my mid 20's and had nothing like £10k!!!!!!!!

Good luck. NZ is really great!!! At your age you will probably move on I guess..probably to Oz...NZ is VERY quiet and a bit backwards. Both suit me!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

We arrived in our mid-20s with about GBP5,000. It was difficult, but we didn't have furniture shipped over and bought everything here. We did however have a regular monthly income in pounds that continued through the move and within 2 months also had a NZD income.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future

im going over with 5grand and $4000 dollors, ive got 2 kids and a wife but stuff it am going to rent and im having my tools flown over, got a job waiting for me so will be straight into work. you only live once!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How much money did you take?

Originally Posted by paul2
im going over with 5grand and $4000 dollors, ive got 2 kids and a wife but stuff it am going to rent and im having my tools flown over, got a job waiting for me so will be straight into work. you only live once!!!!!!!!!!
Hey i just wanted to say good on you, you sound like you have the can do attitude so you will do well.......
All the best
Cally
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future

i am sooner the better! i would go over with a grand if i had to its not about how much you take its what you do when you get there! i see it if i work hard i will beable to live there.Not going there to think im going to earn millions cos i wont and i never would here in the uk!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How much money did you take?

Originally Posted by paul2
i am sooner the better! i would go over with a grand if i had to its not about how much you take its what you do when you get there! i see it if i work hard i will beable to live there.Not going there to think im going to earn millions cos i wont and i never would here in the uk!
We came over with $400 and a 1yr old baby 30 odd yrs ago and thats exactly what we did lived right in the middle of nowhere, determination and grit and hard work never hurt anybody.
I know its a bit different nowadays but employers will always pick up on a can do attitude! And theres loads to do in NZ for free like go to the beach, walking etc....
Cheers
Cally