Reload this Page >

How much to live on for family in Christchurch

How much to live on for family in Christchurch

Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Flyddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much to live on for family in Christchurch

Hi there

My husband has had an offer of work in Christchurch, salary of $35 an hour and 42 hour contract a week.

They are willing to help us with a visa and some relocation costs. He will also get a van and tools and laptop and phone.

I am a trained nurse but ideally would only want part time work as we have 2 young children.

Realistically is the cost of living going to be too much on the salary that my husband would get and me with part time work?

We don't lead an extravagant life here but don't want to be living hand to mouth just for the better lifestyle over in Nz.

Any information Gratefully received!

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2017, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to live on for family in Christchurch

So with your part time work as a nurse, bringing your family salary to maybe 100k pa, you will be fine. Maybe about 75% of young families in Chch bring in less than that. But I dont think anyone here can tell you whether you will be better or worse off compared to staying in UK from what you have told us.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:16 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a decent wage. But 42 hour week is pretty high, so it all depends on what you are used to. If it's an improvement on your current situation then great, if it's more hours than he works now then just bear that in mind when it comes to thinking you'll have a better lifestyle
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:53 am
Just Joined

He works a 40 hour week at the moment so not much different really.

Can anyone give me an idea on family friendly and reasonably priced rental suburbs. The job offer is in Sockton, anywhere in 40 minute commute would be fine.

Also what is Christchurch like for families and outdoor lifestyle?

Any idea on whether I would have to pay for school fees as we would be on a temporary visa sponsored by hubbys employer and hopefully try and gain PR if everything works out.

Also any ideas what nursing is like compared to the NHS. And what are the main differences in healthcare?

Thanks again
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Webb2905 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flyddo

Can anyone give me an idea on family friendly and reasonably priced rental suburbs. The job offer is in Sockton, anywhere in 40 minute commute would be fine.

Any idea on whether I would have to pay for school fees as we would be on a temporary visa sponsored by hubbys employer and hopefully try and gain PR if everything works out.

Also any ideas what nursing is like compared to the NHS. And what are the main differences in healthcare?

Thanks again
Honestly. That's sounds like a reasonable amount. Iv been here for 7 months (no children) and it is by far the best thing we ever did. The work life balance is fantastic. I think money wise we are so much better off. The outdoors life is great and there is so many beautiful places for children. Down point I honestly feel (working for the DHB) is very much the same as the NHS unfortunately but you would be spoilt for choice for a part time position. All the best
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for rentals within a 40 minute commute of Sockton that aren't ridiculously expensive?

Also any idea on whether I would have to pay the high school fees as we would only been on a temporary visa for 2 years?

Thanks again
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for rentals within a 40 minute commute of Sockton that aren't ridiculously expensive?

Also any idea on whether I would have to pay the high school fees as we would only been on a temporary visa for 2 years?

Thanks again
We haven't made a move yet however my husbands potential employers have said we wouldn't need to pay if we get our girls a student visa on the back of my husbands work to residencey visa.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the time of day anywhere is within 40 mins of Sockburn. Rolleston is just 20mins down the road.
Good luck!
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi
I was looking at the Rolleston area, is it a friendly town? Good for families? We are keen to meet new friends whether they are expats or kiwis.

Also do you think we could live off my husbands salary, I think it equates to roughly 1000 dollars weekly minus ACC,tax and kiwi saver?

Also can anyone tell me anything to avoid, look out for?

The whole 'we are actually going to be living on the other side of the world ' situation is starting to hit home!!!

Thank you
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again
Your children would apply for student visas. Your wife under the family stream and all on the back of your visa as main applicant.

Therefore there will be no international fee but there will be the usual school donations to pay for.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

When we visited NZ last year, we spent some time with Friends living in Rolleston. We would move there tomorrow if we could. Has pretty much everything you need (countdown, New World, a couple of coffee shops, good schools, a new swimming pool) Think the high school opens there soon too.

Also like has been said, 15 mins down the road you are in Hornby where there is a mall and other shops, another 5/10 mins and you are in the city centre. A further 10 mins and you are on the beach.

We fell in love with ChCh and would have stayed if we could. Working on a plan to get back now. We have been looking at Rolleston and Rangiora for suburbs to move to.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bobogib
When we visited NZ last year, we spent some time with Friends living in Rolleston. We would move there tomorrow if we could. Has pretty much everything you need (countdown, New World, a couple of coffee shops, good schools, a new swimming pool) Think the high school opens there soon too.

Also like has been said, 15 mins down the road you are in Hornby where there is a mall and other shops, another 5/10 mins and you are in the city centre. A further 10 mins and you are on the beach.

We fell in love with ChCh and would have stayed if we could. Working on a plan to get back now. We have been looking at Rolleston and Rangiora for suburbs to move to.
Really looking seriously at Rolleston. Rentals look nice and what I read about the area is positive. Are there many Brits living there?
Anyone got any negatives about it?
Also if I did want to work as a nurse part time what visa would I need as my husbands employers are sorting the forms for all of the family so want to make sure they do the correct ones.
Hoping to be out in NZ before Xmas!
Can anyone give a rough cost of basic groceries in Nzd to give me some idea!!
And approximate costs for electricity, Internet, petrol/diesel, the usual household expenses....?

Thanks again your help is invaluable
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 8:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Remember that to work as a nurse you would need your qualifications assessed and would need to register with the NZ nursing register.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Remember that to work as a nurse you would need your qualifications assessed and would need to register with the NZ nursing register.
Hi there

I have got a first class honours degree and nearly 3 years nursing experience and have been told by various employers in healthcare in Nz that it shouldn't be an issue...
Just hoping there are a few community /district nursing positions available
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Really looking seriously at Rolleston. Rentals look nice and what I read about the area is positive. Are there many Brits living there?
There will be hundreds of Brits in Rolleston, as there are throughout Chch and North Canty.
The only thing I would say to detract from Rolleston is that there isn't much there in comparison to say Rangiora. Rangiora is a proper town developed over a much longer time, so it has a lot more of everything than Rolleston.
The good thing about renting though is you can explore and move where you want at a later date if you fancy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.