Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to Live?

How much does it cost to Live?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much does it cost to Live?

Yes, I loved it there. We were looking at going back there from Canada or coming here to New Zealand. I am still a little torn, but maybe one of the kids will go there and let us live with them.

I like the little towns like New Milton, a nice house not far from the small strip of beach or out to Hinton Admiral east of Christchurch.

Rangiora though will do nicely for us now.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Getting back on topic...

Dog costs....
Costs for Manukau City Council
http://www.manukau.govt.nz/default.aspx?id=219
$50 one off charge for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs
$90 per dog annual registration fee.

Costs for Franklin District Council
http://www.franklin.govt.nz/CouncilS...0/Default.aspx
$60-80 per dog annual registration fee (lower if they're desexed)
$50 one off charge for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs.

$120 to feed 4 dogs??? I feed 3 large dogs on $15 a week in the winter and their consumption drops in the summer so $10 when it's hot. Get them on a raw diet (google Dr Ian Billingstone - Give Your Dog a Bone - and read it!)
And of course, don't forget annual innoculations - they're about $80-$120 - shop around though - there's a considerable price difference between vets.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Rangiora though will do nicely for us now.
Did us nicely for 2 years, have you had a "Jug" in the Plough?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

The misses and I don't drink so don't go to out for drinks. I know where you mean though. How do you like Brisbane over Rangiora? Not really comparable I suppose. We have decided to quite checking on the progress of our house that is being built in Rangiora. Things move so slow we were really just frustrating ourselves.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
How do you like Brisbane over Rangiora? Not really comparable I suppose.
Both have there + and - your right both are so different you can't compare, we've had some great experiences in both town's /Countries and are bloody lucky to have been given the opportunity.
One thing I know is we will never go back to the UK.......possibly Italy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

If I had money, I would spend lots of time around Florence each year. Since I don't have lots of money, I will visit the local library several times each year.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Moomoo
Mr Moomoo- still doing sums to work out if job offer is OK and whether to accept and join you all!!

I have done a guestimate monthly budget based on previous posts- I have deducted income tax using the tax calculator. Please feel free to comment if I have missed anything or have seriously underestimated any costs. (There will be five or us coming 2 adults and 3 children and possibly 4 dogs!!).

Kiwi Saver NZD 800.00
Mortgage NZD 1,650.00
Life & Income Protection Insurance NZD 0.00 (incl with job)
Medical Insurance NZD 100.00
Water NZD 80.00
Sky NZD 100.00
Phone NZD 50.00
Rates NZD 250.00
Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
woof and rego (2 cars) NZD 50.00
Car Insurance NZD 100.00
School Fees NZD 100.00
Electricity NZD 200.00
Gas NZD 100.00
Petrol/Diesel NZD 300.00
House Insurance NZD 50.00
Car Park (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Professional Fees (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Dog Food NZD 120.00
Vets NZD 100.00
Savings NZD 1,000.00
Bank Account Fees NZD 10.00
NZD 6,660.00

I have also assumed I will not qualify for children's or working tax credit

Any comments would be most welcome..

Mr Moomoo
Most ppl have made good comments..

I would say phone is too low, utilities may be on the light side, food is high though.

what about general entertainment/ treats or holidays?

Apart from income tax there is the ACC levy, deducted at source (I dont know the percentage, something like 1 or 2 percent. You may be able to find out on sorted.org.nz

Very expensive to bring 4 dogs over.......lots of time in quarantine, expensive to fly them into kiwiland etc.

many ppl live in Nz on a lot less than what youre budgeting though, you will be high up on the salary scale by the sound of things..
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Hi

some additions,

Mobile phone costs,
additional furniture etc
clothing and shoes
hair cuts
home and contents insurance
school uniform, books, shoes, trips,
home and contents insurance.

cheers
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

and double the phone costs,

I would say, the food bill is about right, our weekly shop is around $280, but I always seem to have to go again to top up the milk and bread and fruit etc.

I would also consider, money for when the kids are on school holiday's eg. swimming, cinema, or what ever they are into.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Most ppl have made good comments..

I would say phone is too low, utilities may be on the light side, food is high though.

what about general entertainment/ treats or holidays?

Apart from income tax there is the ACC levy, deducted at source (I dont know the percentage, something like 1 or 2 percent. You may be able to find out on sorted.org.nz

Very expensive to bring 4 dogs over.......lots of time in quarantine, expensive to fly them into kiwiland etc.

many ppl live in Nz on a lot less than what youre budgeting though, you will be high up on the salary scale by the sound of things..
Thanks for your help.

With regard to the dogs ... there is no quarantine if bringing to NZ from UK. The dogs have to stay on your residential premises for 30 days, so it's a home quarantine. That will save a little money. Also, dogs won't have to have rabies test done as we are coming from UK, but the rest of the costs for bringing the dogs will be very high.

Food estimate hubbie quoted is high, we spend between £80.00-£100.00 week in UK for family of five, sometimes less if I go to the supermarket alone!

General entertainment/treats/holidays - if we bring the dogs, there won't be any!!!

Regards
Moomoo (Kerry)
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubstar
and double the phone costs,

I would say, the food bill is about right, our weekly shop is around $280, but I always seem to have to go again to top up the milk and bread and fruit etc.

I would also consider, money for when the kids are on school holiday's eg. swimming, cinema, or what ever they are into.
Thanks for all your extras ... it all adds up doesn't it!

Kids are into ice skating (learning to figure skate), ice hockey, rugby, guides, cadets, that's what they do here and we are hoping they can continue in NZ, if we make the move. If we bring four dogs though, they can make do with running around outside with them for entertainment.

Thanks
Kerry
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
I some times wonder if we are living in the same country when I read some of these cost breakdowns.

According to the goverment you should be able to survive on $800-$1200 depending where you live per week
Per week!!!??? How many earn $62400 p.a. net???