British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How much does it cost to Live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-much-does-cost-live-491457/)

Moomoo Nov 3rd 2007 6:58 pm

How much does it cost to Live?

Mr Moomoo- still doing sums to work out if job offer is OK and whether to accept and join you all!!

I have done a guestimate monthly budget based on previous posts- I have deducted income tax using the tax calculator. Please feel free to comment if I have missed anything or have seriously underestimated any costs. (There will be five or us coming 2 adults and 3 children and possibly 4 dogs!!).

Kiwi Saver NZD 800.00
Mortgage NZD 1,650.00
Life & Income Protection Insurance NZD 0.00 (incl with job)
Medical Insurance NZD 100.00
Water NZD 80.00
Sky NZD 100.00
Phone NZD 50.00
Rates NZD 250.00
Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
woof and rego (2 cars) NZD 50.00
Car Insurance NZD 100.00
School Fees NZD 100.00
Electricity NZD 200.00
Gas NZD 100.00
Petrol/Diesel NZD 300.00
House Insurance NZD 50.00
Car Park (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Professional Fees (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Dog Food NZD 120.00
Vets NZD 100.00
Savings NZD 1,000.00
Bank Account Fees NZD 10.00
NZD 6,660.00

I have also assumed I will not qualify for children's or working tax credit

Any comments would be most welcome..

Mr Moomoo

Pete n Shell Nov 3rd 2007 8:29 pm

Re: How much does it cost to Live?

Where are you planning to live?

Some of those figures may just be under others over but balance themselves out.
One thing you forgot is House Contents Insurance totally seperate from House Insurance of which your probably a bit low on.

zoej Nov 3rd 2007 9:29 pm

Try this...
http://www.emigratenz.org/cost-of-li...w-zealand.HTML

We used it to gage how much of a wage we would need and so far have found we budgeted well and are managing ok, despite a high rent. But it was very informative. We are also 2 A, 3 Kids.

try and budget for a fortnightly wage rather than monthly as thats how most Kiwi's are paid.

There is always other costs that come up too so its good you have a savings fund.

Zoe

Batty Nov 3rd 2007 9:37 pm

Hi there

There are only two of us so your costs would obviously be higher for food etc but there are a few things I can help on.

Water NZD 80.00 - the water rates is billed quarterly (we're in Auckland North Shore) and we don't pay as much as $80 for the quarter so that could be a bit high. Or, maybe having 3 children means it's not. :blink:

Phone NZD 50.00 - too low. You'd be better off working towards $150 a month and being pleasantly surprised - this would include broadband.

Rates NZD 250.00 - depends on the Capital Value of the house you buy and be aware that the valuations will be reassessed next year so if there is a big difference between a CV now and what you pay for the property expect the rates to increase substantially.

Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00 - WOW! 3 children scenario again :D

Electricity NZD 200.00 - should be ok with that

House Insurance NZD 50.00 - ours is based on the m² of the house and $40k contents and is $77 a month

Dog Food NZD 120.00 - haha - put them on a diet :lol:

My hubby has a company car thank GOD and a petrol card so we don't have any car expenses - he does pay for his mum's WOF and I think it's around $45.

Savings, medical insurance etc are very much a personal preference I think and are based on what you can afford. One thing everyone should do IMO is join www.consumeronline.co.nz It costs about $25 a month but can save you a lot of money with getting the right services such as electricity providers, insurance etc.

Oh, the interest rates MAY go up again next week so better factor in an extra .25%!!!!!

Moomoo Nov 3rd 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for all your comments.

Planning on living south of Auckland. I naturally have deducted tax first but is there an equivalent of National Insurance or anything else?

Mr Moomoo

Baron Silas Greenback Nov 3rd 2007 10:37 pm

Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
425 a week seems like way to much to me, but it depends on what you eat and drink I suppose..... but you will be eating and drinking like kings on that!

In fact all your amounts are erring towards the expensive, but better sure than sorry I suppose!

sarahw Nov 3rd 2007 11:02 pm

Health insurance might be a bit low for the whole family. My OH and I pay $88 per month for Southern Cross

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 1:09 am

I some times wonder if we are living in the same country when I read some of these cost breakdowns.:unsure:

According to the goverment you should be able to survive on $800-$1200 depending where you live per week :ohmy:

howardk Nov 4th 2007 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 5506415)
Mr Moomoo- still doing sums to work out if job offer is OK and whether to accept and join you all!!

I have done a guestimate monthly budget based on previous posts- I have deducted income tax using the tax calculator. Please feel free to comment if I have missed anything or have seriously underestimated any costs. (There will be five or us coming 2 adults and 3 children and possibly 4 dogs!!).

Kiwi Saver NZD 800.00
Mortgage NZD 1,650.00
Life & Income Protection Insurance NZD 0.00 (incl with job)
Medical Insurance NZD 100.00
Water NZD 80.00
Sky NZD 100.00
Phone NZD 50.00
Rates NZD 250.00
Food & Wine NZD 1,500.00
woof and rego (2 cars) NZD 50.00
Car Insurance NZD 100.00
School Fees NZD 100.00
Electricity NZD 200.00
Gas NZD 100.00
Petrol/Diesel NZD 300.00
House Insurance NZD 50.00
Car Park (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Professional Fees (incl with job) NZD 0.00
Dog Food NZD 120.00
Vets NZD 100.00
Savings NZD 1,000.00
Bank Account Fees NZD 10.00
NZD 6,660.00

I have also assumed I will not qualify for children's or working tax credit

Any comments would be most welcome..

Mr Moomoo

hi....we have lived in chch twice and just left for ottawa.....so got exp re. costs here in chch..all per month..med ins was $145,phone with calls home and internet $300,sch fee's were $800 ea child,elec ave $350,rest seem ok or a tad high....cheers.

mickey_d Nov 4th 2007 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 5506415)
NZD 6,660.00

:ohmy::ohmy:

Avid Nov 4th 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 5507458)
:ohmy::ohmy:

I'd say that was a realistic figure...assuming the family are planning to have a normal (i.e. typical UK) life in NZ.

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5507501)
I'd say that was a realistic figure...assuming the family are planning to have a normal (i.e. typical UK) life in NZ.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Your kidding right:confused:

On that budget my wife and I would be working over 50 hours each per week each and asking the kids for pocket money :rofl:

Avid Nov 4th 2007 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5507557)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Your kidding right:confused:

I did use the word 'normal'......It's a budget of 30,000 quid for a family of 5 (and dogs)...

I KNOW, I KNOW, don't compare dollars with pounds....but I think you do have to sometimes if you want to have an idea what it's like in NZ.

unless you want to eat lamb flaps from the pak 'n' save everyday

Pete n Shell Nov 4th 2007 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5507603)
I did use the word 'normal'......It's a budget of 30,000 quid for a family of 5 (and dogs)...

I KNOW, I KNOW, don't compare dollars with pounds....but I think you do have to sometimes if you want to have an idea what it's like in NZ.

unless you want to eat lamb flaps from the pak 'n' save everyday

Was not going to say that but you missed the last part of the post that said you probably be working 100 hours plus per week to live on that budget.

CAN2NZ Nov 4th 2007 5:41 am

Ok, I am on $115,000 per year, we have three kids and we don't spend as much as you are indicating. You do realize that you will need to earn, as an individual earner, more than $115,000 per year to have a take home pay of $6600 per month? In other words, you will be in the very top of income earners in this country. Your food costs are way out of control, but perhaps you eat out three nights a week.