Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to Live?

How much does it cost to Live?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to Live?

Thanks for all your comments. The food and wine costs are a little high - as my wife will not be working there is a little "housekeeping" in there as well.

I am aware of the level of salary needed to support this type of lifestyle and the job offer I have will support this providing there is nothing else taken of at source apart from tax.

Mr Moomoo
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:01 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
In other words, you will be in the very top of income earners in this country. Your food costs are way out of control, but perhaps you eat out three nights a week.
Yeah, why don't you go on a diet you (I'll censor this bit, save the mods the time).<< censored>>>

Seriously though, you'll be in the top earning bracket...but that might well say more about NZ than it does about you.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 4th 2007 at 10:09 am. Reason: LOL
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moomoo
I am aware of the level of salary needed to support this type of lifestyle and the job offer I have will support this providing there is nothing else taken of at source apart from tax.

Mr Moomoo
Good on you, no Pak and save for you then
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Mr and Mrs Moomoo wish to thank everyone who have responded- it has been very helpful in working out a cost of living and helping us cross off another issue in our decision making process.

Moomoo.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I just noticed where you live. Why not just get off the Island and move to Lymington? You are living in a very nice part of the country. I used to live on the south coast, in Dorset and was always out on bikes to the new forest and along the coast. Why leave? Then you won't have to worry about the cost of butter or rent or mortgage? You already have the answers.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Avid
Yeah, why don't you go on a diet you (I'll censor this bit, save the mods the time).<< censored>>>

Seriously though, you'll be in the top earning bracket...but that might well say more about NZ than it does about you.

Well, we are still tens of thousands behind where we were before we came here and to that there is the added insecurity that goes with not having any work provided health benefits and insurance.

It isn't all about the money. We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.

Very Good point.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

It isn't all about the money. We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.
Yup.
Four Noble Truths

1. Suffering exists
2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires (There is always a need for enough.)
3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practicing the Eightfold Path

Life, eh?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

I just noticed where you live. Why not just get off the Island and move to Lymington? You are living in a very nice part of the country. I used to live on the south coast, in Dorset and was always out on bikes to the new forest and along the coast. Why leave? Then you won't have to worry about the cost of butter or rent or mortgage? You already have the answers.
Yeah, the Island is a lovely place to live, along with the south coast, but a new opportunity has arisen, and we thrive on a challenge!!! That's why we want to make sure we have got our sums right. It is a big move, especially taking three kids, but we are thinking of it as a permanent move, so need to try and get things as right as possible.

Thanks
Moomoo (Kerry)
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

"............Accessible pleasures, open to all. In England, this has been lost beneath a miasma of nagging discontent. I should be getting more. I wish I was her. I must have that. Get me to the shops. Book me a mini-break."

Hortense de Monplaisir

Kip
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:51 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Simple answer is that if you moved to New Zealand for money then your in the wrong country. If you moved to New Zealand to have a better quality of life with money your still in the wrong country but if you moved to New Zealand to live like a colonial explorer with no money and a nice place to live.....Then Kia Ora Aotearoa
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:15 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
Simple answer is that if you moved to New Zealand for money then your in the wrong country. If you moved to New Zealand to have a better quality of life with money your still in the wrong country but if you moved to New Zealand to live like a colonial explorer with no money and a nice place to live.....Then Kia Ora Aotearoa
Will I look out of place wearing a Pith Helmet
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ned
Will I look out of place wearing a Pith Helmet
Will need to be standard issue at the colonial club....opening soon in either Auckland and Wellington.........

I know theres at least three potential members here.....

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 4th 2007 at 9:21 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:22 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

We are having a good time, but economics are so important to happiness. There is always a need for enough.

"The quickest way to wealth is to despise wealth" (Seneca)

but then again....

"Money doesn't buy happiness...but it buys the time in which to be happy" (Camus)

Hmmm.....

Last edited by Avid; Nov 4th 2007 at 9:29 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It is a lovely area isn't it. We used to live in Southbourne and I still miss many aspects of that. As you say, there is the New Forest, the Ranges & coastline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.