British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How much do we need to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-much-do-we-need-live-663861/)

polly.glot Apr 13th 2010 7:09 pm

How much do we need to live?

Returning home to Rotoiti, to a little house all paid up, with no heating bills (logburner), water from roof tank, intending to grow much of our own food..how much would the old fulla and I need to survive? We each have a small UK pension, and few ££ in the bank, and expectations of a substantial inheritance in the not too distant future. I really want to be home again, but for the moment, we will be on the bones of our bums I fear. How much do you reckon the two of us would need per week?

Genesis Apr 14th 2010 8:10 am

Re: How much do we need to live?

Originally Posted by polly.glot (Post 8493503)
Returning home to Rotoiti, to a little house all paid up, with no heating bills (logburner), water from roof tank, intending to grow much of our own food..how much would the old fulla and I need to survive? We each have a small UK pension, and few ££ in the bank, and expectations of a substantial inheritance in the not too distant future. I really want to be home again, but for the moment, we will be on the bones of our bums I fear. How much do you reckon the two of us would need per week?

$400 bucks a week should do it aye? Maybe shave off some more with your home grown stuff? You sound like you will be well made up especially with the will on the way. Good luck. Shave off even more if you brew your own wine and beer.

Bo-Jangles Apr 14th 2010 9:20 am

Re: How much do we need to live?

Of course it depends on your lifestyle, I don't think a figure of $400 plucked from the air should satisfy you. You really have to consider everything and work out a detailed budget personal to your own expectations and then add a bit of contingency / breathing room.

Presumably you'll want transport; petrol, road tax, insurance, WOF, servicing and perhaps breakdown recovery.

The cost of pets if any, the levels of internet / phone services you require, household rates, building and contents insurances, general maintenance and bits and bobs for home and gardening, bank charges medical and dental costs.

You may not pay for water but will have to have to pay equally as much to have septic tank serviced and maintained, plus possible extra expense to have tank water top ups in summertime. You mention having no heating bills - presumably then you have access to free firewood?

Clothing, haircuts, opticians? Entertainment, Social funds, eating out?

It goes on and on and on and I think you would find $400 a week a bit of a struggle unless you plan to stay home 24/7 Lets just say there wouldn't be a lot of spare change anyway.