British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   how much for bills and house hold stuff? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-much-bills-house-hold-stuff-573286/)

tonydu Nov 15th 2008 2:59 pm

how much for bills and house hold stuff?

Hi, thought I would ask how much people spend aprox on bills for the month because I am trying to budget before we come over. We are hoping to be over there by March/April time next year.
We have sold everything we owened and was just wondering if anyone could give us some prices on Elect stuff as the shopping on line in NZ don't seem to give you the prices or very limited in styles.

Thank from Michelle

Genesis Nov 15th 2008 6:46 pm

Re: how much for bills and house hold stuff?

Originally Posted by tonydu (Post 6975840)
Hi, thought I would ask how much people spend aprox on bills for the month because I am trying to budget before we come over. We are hoping to be over there by March/April time next year.
We have sold everything we owened and was just wondering if anyone could give us some prices on Elect stuff as the shopping on line in NZ don't seem to give you the prices or very limited in styles.

Thank from Michelle

Hi search on 'nz spreadsheet' the results will come up and the 10th thread down will have LOADS of info re cost of living in NZ.

The search field is just below the bar where you click on 'Discussion forum' and to your right.

tonydu Nov 16th 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6976328)
Hi search on 'nz spreadsheet' the results will come up and the 10th thread down will have LOADS of info re cost of living in NZ.

The search field is just below the bar where you click on 'Discussion forum' and to your right.

thank you very much this was very helpful. Michelle

Genesis Nov 16th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tonydu (Post 6978970)
thank you very much this was very helpful. Michelle

No worries..we are here to help aye?? Have a lovely day!!

Jennymckay688 Nov 17th 2008 2:23 am

Hey there.
We are a family of 5 and our bills are as follows, In summer Elec bills are around $150 and winter $300+
Phone is around $130
Internet is $80

If you buy a house then you will have rates and water aswell.

I personally would say that if you are bringing over a container then do yourself a favour and bring the big stuff. The big stuff costs loads more here than in the UK. If not bringing over a container then can buy what you need on www.TradeMe.co.nz second hand. Its a bit like Ebay.

Hope this helps.

TeamEmbo Nov 17th 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tonydu (Post 6975840)
shopping on line in NZ don't seem to give you the prices or very limited in styles.

:rofl: welcome to NZ! It is limited in styles and makes compared to UK product availability and white goods are expensive, least I think they are. But you can get some bargains if you shop around. There always seems to be sales on and even if there isn't you can usually negotiate a better price for cash, and like another poster said, there is always TradeMe.

Just to give you some idea - an LCD 42'' TV will cost in the region of $2,200+ depending on what make and what offers are on at the time. Dick Smith currently have a 32'' HD ready Samsung LCD for $848. A Nokia 6500 slider 3G mobile phone is currently $399 (currently on offer with a saving of $300). Playstation 3 + 1 game is $799. We bought a medium sized chest freezer last year from Retrovision for $1,099 The Warehouse currently have a 300L chest freezer (smaller than our one) on an introductory offer of $549 (only available in north island stores!) and 246L frost free fridge/freezer for $619. Washing machines, dishwashers seem to start around $450-$500 upwards but that's for a top loader washing machine which quite a few people have found don't wash your clothes as well as a front loader. We borrowed one when we first arrived and I must say I liked the top loader but it was a top of the range Fischer & Paykel one and I've no idea how much it cost. You can get a small, simple microwave for around $150-$200.

If you want all brand new, top of the range gear and need to completely kit out your house from scratch I would suggest you either 1) bring heaps of dosh, or 2) buy in one store and negotiate a massive discount, or 3) both!

Try googling Retrovision, Ross Ditmer, Smiths City, Harvey Norman, and Powerhouse.