Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many of you have 'visitors'???

How many of you have 'visitors'???

Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How many of you have 'visitors'???

Originally Posted by GulliesPacific
To put a slightly different spin on the question, if I may, without intentionally throwing things off track, why do people think they don't get as many visitors as they might like?

1) Cost?
2) Time?
3) Laziness/Can't be a*sed?

Have any of your realatives admitted to number three being the reason for them not having visited?
Well so far I've had friends say that any money they have, they save as Ireland is deep in the recession at the moment so they have no choice. My mother has said that its just too far for her to come again and has given us money towards flights home instead. Other family members go to Europe for their holidays every year. If anything it just all reminds me to make sure I do whats best for my family here. We are heading back for a trip this year but already I am dreading getting back on the plane back to here. I hate to see my mother crying. But any moments spent together are going to moments I will treasure. I dont really miss Ireland all that much but i do miss being around Irish people. I wonder will I be able to keep with them all when we go to the pub?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
I wonder will I be able to keep with them all when we go to the pub?
Not if you've got used to drinking the sheeps p**s that kiwis call beer
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Not if you've got used to drinking the sheeps p**s that kiwis call beer
You're puttng in some decent groundwork for the next wooden spoon award. I admire your early start.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:05 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Quite.

I think we don't get more visitors because it's a very long way and hence eats into people's annual leave and savings considerably and we both come from large families.

We moved here- we chose to leave our families and friends for a "better life"*, so I think it's a bit harsh to then imply family and friends who don't visit can't be bothered!

*IE swapped family and friends for a bigger house, more sunshine and lower population density.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:22 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of them, all the time.

Its a pain in the bum, although i have become an expert on the week long south island tour route.....
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
You're puttng in some decent groundwork for the next wooden spoon award. I admire your early start.
Cheers mat, Thought I'd get a wriggle on early, you set the bar pretty high
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Its a pain in the bum, although i have become an expert on the week long south island tour route.....
Wah ! We have one of those tours for visitors. It is a bit of a pain in the 'arris. It also costs no matter how you play it.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:31 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

On Second thoughts im glad i have had no visitors
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:40 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GulliesPacific
To put a slightly different spin on the question, if I may, without intentionally throwing things off track, why do people think they don't get as many visitors as they might like?

1) Cost?
2) Time?

Have any of your realatives admitted to number three being the reason for them not having visited?

To be honest, we'd be quite happy with no visitors......baa humbug.
They're a bloody inconvenience
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:49 am
`

No.

It's about ill health and also finances. In any case we were the ones that moved away . If they choose to spend out their hard earned time and money to come all this way then the least I can do is show them a little bit of NZ and our lives here. It's not like it's just up the road. It's a major trip.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Ill health is fair enough but the trip is not as big a deal or expense as many in the UK seem to think. The first thing my English mate said to me on stepping off the plane for his maiden voyage was "It really isn't that far". And it's incredibly cheap these days - $2000 return (from this end) has been the going rate for about 40 years (and in the 70s that was 6 months' average pay!)
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:50 pm
`

If you are single perhaps. Most of the remaining family we have back in the UK have kids to consider to factor in as well as themselves.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
If you are single perhaps. Most of the remaining family we have back in the UK have kids to consider to factor in as well as themselves.
Absolutely. Some of my friends who work in the NHS also have problems trying to get more that two weeks annual leave off at a time. Plus other restrictions on when they can't take it !!!! No wonder so many of them end up with loads of AL to carry over to the next year!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:34 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Ill health is fair enough but the trip is not as big a deal or expense as many in the UK seem to think. The first thing my English mate said to me on stepping off the plane for his maiden voyage was "It really isn't that far". And it's incredibly cheap these days - $2000 return (from this end) has been the going rate for about 40 years (and in the 70s that was 6 months' average pay!)
I guess it depends on what you see as cheap - the equivalent of $2000 is probably 3 months living money for my mum. She doesn't have enough money to have savings, so no, it's not cheap for her at all.