British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How many take a chance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-many-take-chance-684836/)

Wessa Sep 10th 2010 1:45 pm

How many take a chance?

Hello, Wonder any of you can suggest something for me.?

We as a amily have been out to ChCh etc for a couple of weeks and love it, we want to make the move now, which we have been wanting to do since we came over 2yrs ago. We also have friends in Dunedin. Now, im waiting for a job offer, (with a minimm 55k requirement for wtr visa) which seems to be a long wait so i was wondering, how many people just take the chance and come over, find a job and apply for a wtr visa? I know its probably best to get the offer first and apply for visa's but im getting fed up with the waiting/chasing.

Do you think its possible to come over and find a job then apply?
Obviously i would try to arrange some interviews first.

Thanks all.. :thumbup:

jayandbill Oct 17th 2010 1:29 am

Re: How many take a chance?

My daughter, her husband and 2 kids, and son and wife 6 kids came out 6 years ago without job offers, applied for work visas, got jobs and then applied for residency which was granted within 2 years of their arrival. It's not a recommended route to take but if you're prepared to take the risk it might just work. Depends how brave you are, or desperate!

rason Oct 19th 2010 7:53 am

thats how i did it but it isnt easy and there are more losers than winners in that scenario. Ive got no kids so its easier for me but still had to wait (and still until november) for OH to come out which is not as much fun as it sounds.

Im under 31 though so i got a Working Holiday Visa too

nelsonpom Oct 19th 2010 9:37 am

We came over on visitors visa and had all our stuff shipped over (incl cats :D) HUGE gamble but luckily paid off and we are still here 5 years later (still with cats and have gained a daughter :D)

jayandbill Oct 19th 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 8927902)
We came over on visitors visa and had all our stuff shipped over (incl cats :D) HUGE gamble but luckily paid off and we are still here 5 years later (still with cats and have gained a daughter :D)

That was indeed a huge gamble and very brave. I wonder if it would work now! My family also came out on a hope and prayer but didn't ship their belongings and that, like you, was 6 years ago.

JohnThePom Oct 19th 2010 8:23 pm

Yes - note of caution - job market isn't the same as five or six years ago and it's going to depend on what you do. I'm struggling to get interviews at the moment and, in theory, my skills are in demand.

I've read somewhere that up to 50% of immigrants on WTR type visas do not succeed in settling permanently. Probably worth doing a bit more research unless you have money to burn.

shelloid Oct 20th 2010 7:27 am

I would agree with WP.

Initially we had thought we'd come over without jobs. I luckily managed to get one before we came over, and in retrospect I am so so pleased that I did.

It took my OH about 3 months of applying for every job in his field to finally have someone take a gamble on him.

londonescapee Oct 20th 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8929141)
Yes - note of caution - job market isn't the same as five or six years ago and it's going to depend on what you do. I'm struggling to get interviews at the moment and, in theory, my skills are in demand.

I've read somewhere that up to 50% of immigrants on WTR type visas do not succeed in settling permanently. Probably worth doing a bit more research unless you have money to burn.

Defo agree with this. Other posts I've seen over the last few months seem to suggest that it also is very dependent on who you know as well, particularly down somewhere like Christchurch as I understand it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but it does seem that the good opportunities come about if you know someone who is hiring, or has a mate who is hiring. That's how my OH got his job here in Auckland (the fact that he's rather good at what he does is of course important too but knowing someone gets your foot in the door!).

Not to say that you shouldn't give it a go either :) but NZ is struggling same as any western nation at the moment in terms of recession etc. It just depends as WP says on what your job market is. Good luck.

AndyR Oct 21st 2010 12:34 am

We did this.

Arrived on a working holiday visa, found a job within a month who were happy to sponsor my Work Permit. Applied for that and was approved in 3 weeks!. Once approved we applied for PR and this was approved in about 4 months.

Its a risk, but it worked for us. Good luck whatever you decide.

DeepSix Oct 21st 2010 12:56 am

we did this years ago.. when the job market was better.. only took a couple of weeks and we had PR.

My brother in law came over a few years ago on a WHV and worked for 2 years on that.. then applied for PR and got it..

it can be done.. but nerves of steel if you have a family