Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many are moving on?

How many are moving on?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:31 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi many are moving on?

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hi there,

Can people please refer to the beginning again and answer the said questions instead of having battles with each other. Please

We are all answering your questions, you must have realised this would happen.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:34 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
oooh - hit a nerve did I?

I wasn't just talking about NZ, I was talking about people moving on from any destination. Have a look in the MBTUK forum and you'll see that people find themselves unhappy in many different countries. Is everywhere not "that good"? Or is it just that some people fit and others don't?

I don't need convinced of anything and if you actually read my response, particularly my own experience and reply to crap_coffee, you'll see that I have complete sympathy for people stuck in unhappy circumstances. It's not a matter of anyone's fault or blame but it's certainly not the fault of the place.

I didn't realise that this thread was limited to people that held a particular viewpoint, nor did I realise that you were the "thread police". In fact, neither are the case, so I'll continue to post what I like, where I like. Get over it!

And for your information, I am in Australia, just like some other posters on this thread.
It doesn't matter about other people that are miserable in other countries, we're talking about NZ, so there's no point lumping everyone in together. I don't believe anyone has commented on NZ and then gone on to moan about any other country. Thread police? Weirdo. The thread clearly states the content of the conversation, so you've chosen to come into the thread to argue with everyone that is answering the question! Its like me going into the positive NZ thread to have a blast at everyone.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:36 am
Sweeeeet!

Furthermore, this thread title is asking people in NZ who is moving and on and why. So why the hell are you posting here at all? Its precisely this kind of cross answering that causes arguments.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:45 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Littletoe
It doesn't matter about other people that are miserable in other countries, we're talking about NZ, so there's no point lumping everyone in together. I don't believe anyone has commented on NZ and then gone on to moan about any other country. Thread police? Weirdo. The thread clearly states the content of the conversation, so you've chosen to come into the thread to argue with everyone that is answering the question! Its like me going into the positive NZ thread to have a blast at everyone.
No need to resort to name calling. I wonder why you did that...

I'm not arguing with "everyone" just offering support to HappyNz's post that was in my opinion, unfairly criticised. He spoke in very general terms and so did I.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:48 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Furthermore, this thread title is asking people in NZ who is moving and on and why. So why the hell are you posting here at all? Its precisely this kind of cross answering that causes arguments.
As someone who came to Australia via NZ and hold PR for both, I think I am very well qualified to post on this thread.

Why do I need to justify posting on a thread to you anyway?

Maybe you are the thread police after all. You won't bully me into not posting though so you'd be as well giving up now.

Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:55 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
As someone who came to Australia via NZ and hold PR for both, I think I am very well qualified to post on this thread.

Why do I need to justify posting on a thread to you anyway?

Maybe you are the thread police after all. .

We are just so similar you know, except you have Oz PR and we've opted to stay on the 457 for a while, and you live in Perth and we're on the Gold Coast. Good thing is that we're both very well qualified to post on this thread and everyone so far has had something valid to say.

I only left NZ at the end of last year so perhaps haven't got the Oz experience that you, Ian & sharon, Buzzy Bee, Nice guy, et al have....so have held off making any judgement calls about my present country of residence.

"You won't bully me into not posting though so you'd be as well giving up now" (see above) erm....who used the term "thread police" first? Lighten up you two.

Last edited by Nerine; Apr 21st 2008 at 4:04 am.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:06 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by Nerine

"You won't bully me into not posting though so you'd be as well giving up now" (see above) erm....who used the term "thread police" first? Lighten up you two.
I did. Is that a problem?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:24 am

Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:44 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Now immigration is falling, the economy is juddering, house prices sliding, the reserve bank wecloming a decline in inward migration as something that is taking the heat out of the economy, certain types of violent crimes seem to be on the increase - particularly those against women and children. Is it any wonder that people are moving on if they are able to?
Those aren't reasons to move country are they? There are lots of reasons why people won't like NZ (or any other country), many of them listed on this thread even, but I've never seen the Reserve Bank quoted before.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:51 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

This thread covers who is moving on and why, so its got a limited audience given most people do seem to like NZ and do intend to stay. But I'm a nosey b**ger so have read most of it anyway.

I would like to add that people's reasons for moving on will be personal to them, and may or may not be applicable to others. For example (and I'm not picking on anyone, just using this as an example) me and my wife have had much more opportunity to watch and even perform in classical music events in NZ than we ever had in London. And for what its worth we think the quality is excellent here.

But for others nowhere in NZ will live up to their expectations. Fair enough.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
This thread covers who is moving on and why, so its got a limited audience given most people do seem to like NZ and do intend to stay. But I'm a nosey b**ger so have read most of it anyway.

I would like to add that people's reasons for moving on will be personal to them, and may or may not be applicable to others. For example (and I'm not picking on anyone, just using this as an example) me and my wife have had much more opportunity to watch and even perform in classical music events in NZ than we ever had in London. And for what its worth we think the quality is excellent here.

But for others nowhere in NZ will live up to their expectations. Fair enough.
Most of its out there if you look for it. We have overcome a number of the issues that prevail in NZ by problem solving, getting stuck in and being really proactive...that is not to say that those who moved on were not any of those things. Simply NZ works for some and others it don't!! Just like any of the other countries on earth.

But this is a really good thread for people thinking of coming...seeing what made people move on. I could site a plethora of reasons to leave NZ..as I said just like any other country and all the issues that prevail in each one.

I'm staying because inspite of all the negatives life here is so much better than in the part of GB that we left. I am sure I would be content in Oz it has so much to offer. Just maybe a bit hot for me and the 3 years invested here so far have paid handsome dividends.

Of course life is far from perfect...but its as good as it has been for a long time. Peace.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:46 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by southerner
Those aren't reasons to move country are they? There are lots of reasons why people won't like NZ (or any other country), many of them listed on this thread even, but I've never seen the Reserve Bank quoted before.

Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:50 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Genesis
Most of its out there if you look for it. We have overcome a number of the issues that prevail in NZ by problem solving, getting stuck in and being really proactive...that is not to say that those who moved on were not any of those things. Simply NZ works for some and others it don't!! Just like any of the other countries on earth.

But this is a really good thread for people thinking of coming...seeing what made people move on. I could site a plethora of reasons to leave NZ..as I said just like any other country and all the issues that prevail in each one.

I'm staying because inspite of all the negatives life here is so much better than in the part of GB that we left. I am sure I would be content in Oz it has so much to offer. Just maybe a bit hot for me and the 3 years invested here so far have paid handsome dividends.

Of course life is far from perfect...but its as good as it has been for a long time. Peace.

Good work Genesis. And good on you for your honesty. I wish you and your family all the best. Karma on its way!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:39 am

Southerner I was using it a list of issues that apply to migrants: net inward migration may not be viewed as being beneficial to the economy of the country any more and therefore the status of migrants is changing in the society. (Much the same as it has been for Eastern Europeans in the UK in recent months)

Here is the quote, it was made in a Westpak report at the beginning of the month - the article was entitled "People Come People Go"
Net migration is viewed as a critical driver of inflation pressure
by the Reserve Bank. The impact on inflation is theoretically
ambiguous – lower consumer demand and falling house prices
tend to dampen inflation, but labour shortages tend to stoke
inflation. In the Reserve Bank’s 3-year time horizon lower
demand dominates, so low net migration alleviates inflation
pressure. Last year’s fall in net migration probably averted the
need for one OCR hike. A further fall in net migration over 2008
would be a relief to the beleaguered central bank, allowing a
lower OCR than would otherwise have been necessary. But
recall that the Reserve Bank is still staring down the barrel of a
serious inflation problem for other reasons, so we continue to
expect the OCR to remain high for a very long time, even with
a net migration slowdown.
Hope that helps
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
All anyone needs is a ticket. I'm not being blase or anything like that but WHY would you waste the best years of your life being somewhere you don't want to be? Just do it! the same way as people are told to just do it and come here the same is true for the reverse! Yes, it may cost you money. But, stress will cost you your life.

Seems simple enough doesn't it? It is not necessarily about money and reasons for moving on or being disatisfied with the move are of course way more complex than the cost of the airfare back home.

It's easy to assume that all parties in the initial immigration want the same thing and will find equal amounts of happiness or unhappiness with the new location. However, it is infinitely difficult to please everyone and often likely that not all parties will find their niche and settle equally; the hat comes in many sizes and can't possibly fit all. The more parties there are to please, the greater the risk factor of someone having difficulties. It is such a huge burden to carry when say only one person in a family doesn't settle; big decisions and often huge compromises to be made, often to the cost of relationships and marriages.

So yes, whilst some could go to the travel agent's tomorrow get themselves a ticket to leave, I hazard a guess that many actually could not simply walk away. No matter which way you look at it, there are no winners, someone has to suffer the consequences, be it that they stay and are miserable, suffer in silence, putting on a brave face or whatever.

I can't remember the statistics for the amount of people who return after migrating and neither can be bothered to go and search. However, my possibly warped logic tells me that if say, one in four migrants leave the country, the odds that there will be one disatisfied member of a family of four, has to be pretty similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.