Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many are moving on?

How many are moving on?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:29 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi many are moving on?

Yeah, I get some 'whoop arse whips' but a helluva lot of karma too, so it all balances out in the end.

BB but don't you think that perhaps "kiwi's know no better than shopping pakn'save, they're so one eyed" type statements are made to invite debate? It gives other people the opportunity to say why they disagree.

We all know that *Aggressive Enterprise's* supermarkets are all much nicer shopping environments but P&S usually works out cheapest. People love yet detest the place.

..........And therein lies the debate.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Then again, I'm probably talking shit.
yep, most of the time you do
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:28 am

I don't know what's up with HappyNZ just now.....his posting is really out of sorts.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:02 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happynz
Perhaps by demonising a person or place it is easier to blame someone or some place as the cause of one's unhappiness. It is a whole lot harder to take responsibility for one's own misery.

Then again, I'm not a mental health professional and I'm probably talking shit.
I agree with this wholeheartedly - not the "talking shit" part either.

It's much easier to blame the circumstances than to take a good look at yourself and try to figure out why it doesn't work out for YOU in particular. It's much easier to say, "this place is crap" than "I am crap in this place".

My own feeling is that despite spouting sentiments to the contrary, many people still believe that when a migration doesn't work out, it is some kind of personal failure. So they would rather bang on and on about all the negatives in an attempt to try and absolve themselves of the feelings of failure (which they will tell you that they don't feel ). Anyone with a grain of logic, would look around, see other people who are perfectly happy and realise that the problem is their own.

This isn't a "piss off if you're not happy" post. I have complete sympathy with anyone who finds themselves trapped in circumstances in which they are miserable - I've been there, done that etc. At the time, I hated the place in question with a passion, but looking back now, I see that it could have been different for a different person. It was the combination of me + place that was so wrong.

To crap_coffee: I really feel for you and think you should get away ASAP. Put a plan together and you'll have something to work towards. Tonight I was speaking to my sister, who lives in England, and she told me that the property market has collapsed there. A home in the UK may now be more affordable than you think.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:15 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I agree with this wholeheartedly - not the "talking shit" part either.

It's much easier to blame the circumstances than to take a good look at yourself and try to figure out why it doesn't work out for YOU in particular. It's much easier to say, "this place is crap" than "I am crap in this place".

My own feeling is that despite spouting sentiments to the contrary, many people still believe that when a migration doesn't work out, it is some kind of personal failure. So they would rather bang on and on about all the negatives in an attempt to try and absolve themselves of the feelings of failure (which they will tell you that they don't feel ). Anyone with a grain of logic, would look around, see other people who are perfectly happy and realise that the problem is their own.

This isn't a "piss off if you're not happy" post. I have complete sympathy with anyone who finds themselves trapped in circumstances in which they are miserable - I've been there, done that etc. At the time, I hated the place in question with a passion, but looking back now, I see that it could have been different for a different person. It was the combination of me + place that was so wrong.

To crap_coffee: I really feel for you and think you should get away ASAP. Put a plan together and you'll have something to work towards. Tonight I was speaking to my sister, who lives in England, and she told me that the property market has collapsed there. A home in the UK may now be more affordable than you think.

Maybe NZ really isn't that good, have you considered that? The reasons people give for not liking it are pretty logical. What is it with all this psuedo pyschological babble? Maybe you're just trying to convince yourself that people that don't like NZ are the problem - not that NZ IS the problem. This thread is NOT FOR those with rose tinted glasses. Its a thread asking people why they are leaving. So why don't you get over it and move onto another thread where everyone is happy happy in the land of narnia.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:18 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bourbon-biscuit;6236499]
Originally Posted by Littletoe

Dead right- but saying "I find pakn'save an unbearable experience- how do Kiwi's cope with it?" is soooooo different to saying "kiwi's know no better than shopping pakn'save, they're so one eyed". Do you see what I mean? I do sound off about the isolation and about being cut adrift from my English culture (the BBC- what I wouldn't do for the BBC to set up shop in NZ) but I hope I stay the right side of rude and obnoxious (well, possibly not the latter ).
I can see why you used PacNSave for that analogy! You know when I've been in PacNSave I always imagine someone pointing and groaning, 'brrrains, brrrrrains'
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:22 pm

If NZ wasn't the problem then threads like this wouldn't exist, neither would forums and websites like Ex Ex, nor would 400,000 Kiwis live across the Tasmin and so migrants leave NZ shores every year.

Yep, lots of people are happy there. But the impression I get when reading people's comments is that they are nearly always saying even though I'm mortgaged to the eyeballs and we can't afford GP appoinments, I hate my crappy job, we're cold in winter and the kids are coasting it at school we are happy.

Guess it all comes down to what you are prepared to accept and if you equate happiness with contentment.

I think Rueben Thorn summed it up very well.

"There was a time when we didn't think we would go overseas," Reuben tells NI. "As a player, you get to a point where you've done all you can in New Zealand."
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:59 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Maybe NZ really isn't that good, have you considered that? The reasons people give for not liking it are pretty logical. What is it with all this psuedo pyschological babble? Maybe you're just trying to convince yourself that people that don't like NZ are the problem - not that NZ IS the problem. This thread is NOT FOR those with rose tinted glasses. Its a thread asking people why they are leaving. So why don't you get over it and move onto another thread where everyone is happy happy in the land of narnia.
oooh - hit a nerve did I?

I wasn't just talking about NZ, I was talking about people moving on from any destination. Have a look in the MBTUK forum and you'll see that people find themselves unhappy in many different countries. Is everywhere not "that good"? Or is it just that some people fit and others don't?

I don't need convinced of anything and if you actually read my response, particularly my own experience and reply to crap_coffee, you'll see that I have complete sympathy for people stuck in unhappy circumstances. It's not a matter of anyone's fault or blame but it's certainly not the fault of the place.

I didn't realise that this thread was limited to people that held a particular viewpoint, nor did I realise that you were the "thread police". In fact, neither are the case, so I'll continue to post what I like, where I like. Get over it!

And for your information, I am in Australia, just like some other posters on this thread.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:01 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by Nerine
If NZ wasn't the problem then threads like this wouldn't exist,
Like I said, read the MBTUK forum. Everywhere has its issues.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:27 am

Oh good heavens no I don't have the inclination nor the time to dwell there.

But you're right though, every place has it's issues. I just wonder why there is such a disparity between people's expectations of NZ and what they encounter when they get there.

A few years back NZ was seen as something of a last safe haven in a post 9/11 world. a lot of people migrated there for the safer lifestyle, cheaper houses, better life for their kids and a work-life balance.

Now immigration is falling, the economy is juddering, house prices sliding, the reserve bank wecloming a decline in inward migration as something that is taking the heat out of the economy, certain types of violent crimes seem to be on the increase - particularly those against women and children. Is it any wonder that people are moving on if they are able to?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

If NZ wasn't the problem then threads like this wouldn't exist, neither would forums and websites like Ex Ex, nor would 400,000 Kiwis live across the Tasmin and so migrants leave NZ shores every year.
Nearly *a million* NZers in total choose not to live here, in a country with little over 4 million people. What you say Nerine is so true. Prospective migrants should take note, if that many Kiwis live elsewhere...!!!

My NZer husband, my daughter and I will be moving on in a few years. We both feel our daughter will have a better childhood elsewhere, and we believe we'd live fuller lives.

Why? Many of the same reasons so many others leave. Plus I happen to love going to live music concerts of the classical sort!!! It used to be an important part of my life, and many of my friends were musicians or composers. This is by no means the only culture I miss living in NZ, but since someone's had the nerve to bring it up...

For me, there are so many reasons to leave, and apart from family here in NZ, no reason to stay.

"Last one out, turn off the lights!!!"

Last edited by The Weezer; Apr 21st 2008 at 2:02 am.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:04 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

But you're right though, every place has it's issues. I just wonder why there is such a disparity between people's expectations of NZ and what they encounter when they get there.
I think NZ has a very "romantic" appeal. Many people might think that the positives will make up for being skint or being freezing with wind whistling through the house of a winter's evening. The reality is hard to bear. (That's just a suggestion - in truth, I don't know.)

A few years back NZ was seen as something of a last safe haven in a post 9/11 world. a lot of people migrated there for the safer lifestyle, cheaper houses, better life for their kids and a work-life balance.
I take your word for it but think folk are a bit naive if they think they can escape "the world".

Now immigration is falling, the economy is juddering, house prices sliding, the reserve bank wecloming a decline in inward migration as something that is taking the heat out of the economy, certain types of violent crimes seem to be on the increase - particularly those against women and children. Is it any wonder that people are moving on if they are able to?
I don't know about the crimes part... As for the rest, the world economy is "juddering". We are even feeling the effects in WA although I do think Australia is going to escape the worst of this "winter". The NZ economy is just not as robust.

Most of the complaints about NZ seem to be related to finance. I take my hat off to anyone who lives in NZ, accepting a bit less cash in exchange for the positives that the country offers. I would never have contemplated living there if we had had to scrimp and I don't blame anyone for moving on for economic reasons (or for any reason for that matter).
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Can people please refer to the beginning again and answer the said questions instead of having battles with each other. Please
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rueben Thorn summed it up very well.

"There was a time when we didn't think we would go overseas," Reuben tells NI. "As a player, you get to a point where you've done all you can in New Zealand."

I gotta love you Nerine, I get such a laugh out of some of your posts. But I am not too sure that my nephew would appreciate you quoting him out of context !
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:45 am

But people have to do what they need to do to move on don't they? I'm sure he's no different to many Kiwis and temporary immigrants who leave NZ every year to further their careers and/or make more money. He just happens to be in the public eye. Isn't this thread about "moving on"?

9/11 effect:
We went from loosing people at the rate of 13,000 per annum in 2001 to gaining 38,000 in 2002. Over 30 months 100,00 people poured into New Zealand. The trend was mainly driven by more Kiwis returning from overseas and fewer leaving, but arrivals of overseas migrants also paid a part. It seems that the weak world economy, the relatively strong NZ economy, and security worries associated with terrorism and the invasion of Iraq attracted people to NZ. Since 2005 net migration has settled into a more moderate net inflow of people, averaging 10,000 a year
source Westpak Eco Bulletin April 2008

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.