Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many are moving on?

How many are moving on?

Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:13 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi many are moving on?

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Obviously I don't hate NZ. I can live here just quietly (without too much fun/high expectations - I've got no social life here - the part of reason is Kiwi stuffs have never really interested me). well. things I don't like about this place is -- people (Kiwis have a reputation for being very reserved - basically they don't let you in), also the different (Maori) culture here. + no choice - when it comes to choice, it drives me mad enough.

NZ is a soulless country, that's about it - What the hell Kiwis know about Classical Music??

yes. I need to go to classical music concerts, and want to meet & talk with famous musicians

the beautiful scenery here is absolutely nothing for me
Why you get away with the posts you make, I've no idea. I wrote a reply to this but thought it sounded too harsh for a forum, but I really think you need to wind your head and think very carefully about your constant negative attitude and sweeping criticism of all things NZ. AFAIK you aren't tied to NZ by children or relationship, just a job, which I'm sure you could get in the UK. So why not go?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Why you get away with the posts you make, I've no idea. I wrote a reply to this but thought it sounded too harsh for a forum, but I really think you need to wind your head and think very carefully about your constant negative attitude and sweeping criticism of all things NZ. AFAIK you aren't tied to NZ by children or relationship, just a job, which I'm sure you could get in the UK. So why not go?
Totally agree with your comments. When people post SO negatively about NZ in such a manner they are asking for 'feedback'.

What has classical music got to do with ought.

These constantly moaning people ...why not just go?

I moaned a lot about stuff in the UK...so I got out.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:25 pm
Banned

The Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Is he a roofer from near Plat Bridge?
No, he's an ecologist type fella from Ince.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:27 pm
Banned

The Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joanneroy
Hi there your i read a few bits on your home page its so right thats how it is here nowdays you have got straight to the point
Thanks!

And also thanks to everyone who has read my stuff, I will be updating it regularly so feel to leave a comment.

Last edited by The Bard of Wigan; Apr 19th 2008 at 10:34 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Can someone answer this question for me. Just wondered if we can go to Aussie to work if we have NZ residency,not that we are planning but,i think kids will eventually end up there anyway. Do we have to wait to get citizenship? Or would we have to apply through immigration all over again?

Thanks
Helen
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjmilligan
Can someone answer this question for me. Just wondered if we can go to Aussie to work if we have NZ residency,not that we are planning but,i think kids will eventually end up there anyway. Do we have to wait to get citizenship? Or would we have to apply through immigration all over again?

Thanks
Helen
Hi, so I understand you need NZ citizenship in order to just swan across to Oz. At present, if you arrived April 2005 onwards you have to wait 5 years for citizenship. It costs about $500 per person for said citizenship.

Anyone know any different?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I moaned a lot about stuff in the UK...so I got out.

What has classical music got to do with ought.
I wonder how many years did you moan about the UK before you decided to get out?

I guess if you are a classical musician then it has a heck of a lot to do with ought.

Crap coffee clearly doesn't like living in NZ; from what I have read of her posts, she was brought here by her parents and I reckon hers is and will forever be a similar and common attitude of all those kids that are brought here for a 'better life'. A better life it may be for a kid happy to run around in short trousers, but then what?

I most certainly wouldn't be thanking my parents for bringing me here in my teen years.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 19th 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjmilligan

Thanks
Helen

Or apply for a 457 visa!
Try and get your IRRV before you leave as this will give you another option!
If you come over as a Kiwi you'll always be a Kiwi
However if you do you are entitled to the following-

1st homeowners grant $5,000
Rent allowance
Family allowance
Medi care

If you come on a 457 you get none of the above but are allowed (if the company that you work for qualify) Living away from home allowance which is quite a big saving in tax per month and more than covers what you get as a Kiwi
Big draw back being on a 457 is if anything happens to you ie death your family have 28 days to leave the Country

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:08 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Crap Coffee, I totally empathise with what you are saying and why you feel that way. The classical music scene is a bit lacking in NZ isn't it and tends to be an annual event rather than the norm.

Ian, people on 457s can claim for the LAFHA, we get ~1,600 a month back through it.

hjmilligan yes you'd have to go through the immigration process again but if you find an employer to sponsor you for the 457 (Ian mentioned it) it's a very easy, quick and painless process. There's plenty of threads about it on the Oz board, if you need any more detailed info please send me a private message and I'll be glad to help.

p.s. as I'm sure JAJ will tell you make sure you get your IRRV first though so you have something to fall back on.

Last edited by Nerine; Apr 19th 2008 at 11:10 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine

Ian, people on 457s can claim for the LAFHA, we get ~1,600 a month back through it.
I know, I get it
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:52 pm

Hey that's great Ian I wasn't sure if you'd still be able to claim if you'd bought a house. So how do they work out how much to *pay* you - is it just your mortgage costs every month + the food allowance? (pm me if you prefer)
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
hey I am sorry. I didn't realize what I've done till I read your message this morning. thanks for telling me that. I have no idea why I was so grumpy - Certainly didn't mean to criticize NZ or anything like that. But it sounded very negative I reckon - now I can tell.

I was even forgotten about this as I had to go back to work yesterday (Saturday). large extra workload lately~ till November, and will I get paid for this? Absolutely NO.!! weekend... Gone pretty crappy to be honest. Haven't achieved anything positive yet stay till 9 p.m ish everyday then leave for home. Apparently I missed a telling off that the boss gave to everyone; No Friday 4 p.m drinking from this week + we all expected to work a gazillion hrs to get our deliverable in in time. The big boss here is probably going to get sacked/moved else where in the co, in a matter of time; he's kind trying to blame (us) analysts at the moment for his poor decisions. Will put in a long day tomorrow - have abnormal day tomorrow and then probably back in on Saturday.

It's just about all personal things I guess. maybe I've been a bit uncomfortable lately. Mice at my flat, too much (unpaid) working hrs at the Ministry + working on my macroeconomic thesis as well. The mouse lot is the most unpleasant thing - keep contaminating the flat/disturbing my sleep.

we sold the apartment in Edinburgh when we move to NZ. we were paying half way through the mortage at that time. so actually we've lost awful lot of money by moving to NZ. yes. I am alone here as Paul chose to leave NZ for his (better) career in London, but I've decided to stay here. I don't have money to resettle/buying properties in the U.K ever again. also, the job, it's never been easy for me.

no matter where you live, it's just a life, isn't it? the same more importantly you should be happy with your job where ever you are! - Living in England, In my limited experience - work expectations are the same; the only difference is that an 'average' week consists of 37.5 hrs instead of 40 (here) - and a lot more drink is consumed in the UK

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 20th 2008 at 2:20 am.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:27 am

(Libby, sorry to butt in here but have you read any of the threads on expat exposed? quite a few people there in similar situations to yourself)
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey that's great Ian I wasn't sure if you'd still be able to claim if you'd bought a house. So how do they work out how much to *pay* you - is it just your mortgage costs every month + the food allowance? (pm me if you prefer)
Yep sort of!

I had to find 3 similar house in my area that were up for rent, they then took in to account the food allowance and all the other stuff.
I got a very large lump sum and a tax allowance each month
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

(Libby, sorry to butt in here but have you read any of the threads on expat exposed? quite a few people there in similar situations to yourself)
nah.

where are they? I will go and read when I get some spare time. it takes time eh?

Thanks a lot Nerine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.