Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many are moving on?

How many are moving on?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:00 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi many are moving on?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Most of its out there if you look for it. We have overcome a number of the issues that prevail in NZ by problem solving, getting stuck in and being really proactive...that is not to say that those who moved on were not any of those things. Simply NZ works for some and others it don't!! Just like any of the other countries on earth.

But this is a really good thread for people thinking of coming...seeing what made people move on. I could site a plethora of reasons to leave NZ..as I said just like any other country and all the issues that prevail in each one.

I'm staying because inspite of all the negatives life here is so much better than in the part of GB that we left. I am sure I would be content in Oz it has so much to offer. Just maybe a bit hot for me and the 3 years invested here so far have paid handsome dividends.

Of course life is far from perfect...but its as good as it has been for a long time. Peace.
Really good post Genesis Karma on its way from me too.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just add a comment here before this thread goes OTT and has to be closed.

No-one needs to justify their reasons for posting, everyone has a right to join in and put their opinions, as long as these opinions are aired without any personal comments or abuse, and as long as they respect the views of others.

Lets have some "live and let live" in the thread, please, and if we can all take a deep breath and try to see things through someone else's eyes, I think we will all gain a new perspective on life.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Meat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really nice

Can the people in NZ who complain, honestly say they weren´t complainers back in the UK. You may just gain pleasure out of complaining, but hey this is Ok if thats your pysche.
I have lived in Germany 17 years and now wish to leave, why? well for a start I
wish to be in a society that has humour, a society that can laugh at itself and not take itself too seriously. Strangely I have never considered moving back to the UK, where I was born and spent the first 23 years of my life.
I have considered NZ for a while now and although I haven´t visited yet, I´m pretty certain if the job fits and you can save money, then everything else fits into place ie making friends, house etc.
If you don´t have mony in your pocket you can´t go out and meet people.
I´m pretty certain that although I´ve read on this forum many links about the beautiful countryside etc, slow pace. People who have money can throw it around to distract themselves from the unpleasentries of life, people who don´t have to find other ways ie Forums
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=I wish to be in a society that has humour, a society that can laugh at itself and not take itself too seriously. [/QUOTE]

Sorry meat and two veg I have yet to find this in NZ!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:59 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meat and two veg
Can the people in NZ who complain, honestly say they weren´t complainers back in the UK. You may just gain pleasure out of complaining, but hey this is Ok if thats your pysche.
I have lived in Germany 17 years and now wish to leave, why? well for a start I
wish to be in a society that has humour, a society that can laugh at itself and not take itself too seriously. Strangely I have never considered moving back to the UK, where I was born and spent the first 23 years of my life.
I have considered NZ for a while now and although I haven´t visited yet, I´m pretty certain if the job fits and you can save money, then everything else fits into place ie making friends, house etc.
If you don´t have mony in your pocket you can´t go out and meet people.
I´m pretty certain that although I´ve read on this forum many links about the beautiful countryside etc, slow pace. People who have money can throw it around to distract themselves from the unpleasentries of life, people who don´t have to find other ways ie Forums
Have you even read the rest of this thread? I hardly think money has anything to do with it!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=I wish to be in a society that has humour, a society that can laugh at itself and not take itself too seriously. [/QUOTE]

Sorry meat and two veg I have yet to find this in NZ!

Wait till you've made over a thousand posts on here, there's plenty of humour and a society that can laugh at itself! unfortunatley it's all expat though!!! - well maybe not this thread!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Off topic I know, but we meet with a few Kiwis regularly of a Friday evening. I have to say that these people certainly do not lack humour. With one couple that we are close with, we have a right good laugh. OK, it's not totally British humour . It's not Kiwi humour either. It's just a good laugh.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a different country, you soon realise those old stereo-types of what makes us British and how we are peceived to the rest of the world are such an utter load of old tosh. I have never heard so many ridiculous things told to me about a country that I lived in for 40 years from a whole host of people who have never been there. I read in a magazine, only last week, that we Brits don't really like children and that's why we send them all to boarding schools. This was a serious piece of journalism citing all the reasons British kids have so many problems with drugs and crime. Of course sending your kids away to school will leave them bereft and lost and unloved; so that's why our kids all turn to crime living in council houses with no where to play. Yeah right! I stopped reading said article in absolute disgust and could not believe what I was reading, yet many Kiwis will read this and believe that it must be true.

Aren't we Brits supposed to be all stiff upper-lipped, unforthcoming unemotional and reserved - maybe we were a 100 years ago, but things have moved on just a wee bit since the 1840s. These traits are still very common amongst Kiwis, to a level I have never come across in the UK.

Whatever traits we do have, good or bad, no-one can deny we have the best comedy in the world and an unwitting ability to laugh at ourselves, put ourselves down and take the piss. So many characters make up the UK population; we can live only 20 or thirty miles away from one city or town, where there are people completely different to us, talk differently, eat different foods, have different shops etc and whether they be Cheeky Cockneys, Scouser, Mancs, Jocks, Geordies, Welsh or whatever, we're all very different. Yet, we can all have a laugh together over a pint and take the piss til the cows come home.

Something goes very wrong when people migrate in droves as they did here 150 years ago, it happens elsewhere in the world too, those that migrate stay in a time warp, remaining the way the were and upholding their age old cultural nuances whilst the place they left moves on. Just such rotten luck that NZ must have got all those cold miserable Victorian so and so's a few generations back.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:19 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bo-Jangles;6246291]

no-one can deny we have the best comedy in the world QUOTE]

I would - OUR (Irish) comedy is the best in the World - so there! Dave Allen, Darra O'Briain, Dylan Moran, Father Ted!!!!!!! Best Irish comedians in Britain

I AM joking - sort of Humour is such an intensely personal thing. My best friend here (a Kiwi) absolutely adores Little Britain - eugh - I can't stand 'silly' humour. Put Yes Minister up against The Office and there's just no comparison IMO.

And, like Bevs, my Kiwi friends make me laugh so much my stomach aches - I'm always saying the exercise my stomach muscles get when I'm with them more than makes up for the wine we drink!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I met Dave Allen .
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Meat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really nice

[QUOTE=Batty;6246593]
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

no-one can deny we have the best comedy in the world QUOTE]

I would - OUR (Irish) comedy is the best in the World - so there! Dave Allen, Darra O'Briain, Dylan Moran, Father Ted!!!!!!! Best Irish comedians in Britain

I AM joking - sort of Humour is such an intensely personal thing. My best friend here (a Kiwi) absolutely adores Little Britain - eugh - I can't stand 'silly' humour. Put Yes Minister up against The Office and there's just no comparison IMO.

And, like Bevs, my Kiwi friends make me laugh so much my stomach aches - I'm always saying the exercise my stomach muscles get when I'm with them more than makes up for the wine we drink!
I really think there is humour wherever you are in the world you just have to search longer and harder in some places. I have lived in Germany for 17 years and the best comedian for me is Hape Kerkeling a German with some Dutch blood running through his veins. I´m even comparing him with Brit stand up comedians.Sometimes I even find it hard to believe he´s German. Now this last piece is very cliche. Conversely I have a neighbour who I´ve known for seven years. In all this time I have never seen him smile never mind grin and don´t pause to think he could laugh. Sorry to leave NZ for a while, but I feel if you are a positive person who likes a laugh, you´ll find this anywhere allthough it takes time.
Although I have a German wife, my friends over here are mainly from USA, Brit, Philipine, Polish, Swedish and Germany
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Living in a different country, you soon realise those old stereo-types of what makes us British and how we are peceived to the rest of the world are such an utter load of old tosh. I have never heard so many ridiculous things told to me about a country that I lived in for 40 years from a whole host of people who have never been there. I read in a magazine, only last week, that we Brits don't really like children and that's why we send them all to boarding schools. This was a serious piece of journalism citing all the reasons British kids have so many problems with drugs and crime. Of course sending your kids away to school will leave them bereft and lost and unloved; so that's why our kids all turn to crime living in council houses with no where to play. Yeah right! I stopped reading said article in absolute disgust and could not believe what I was reading, yet many Kiwis will read this and believe that it must be true.

Aren't we Brits supposed to be all stiff upper-lipped, unforthcoming unemotional and reserved - maybe we were a 100 years ago, but things have moved on just a wee bit since the 1840s. These traits are still very common amongst Kiwis, to a level I have never come across in the UK.

Whatever traits we do have, good or bad, no-one can deny we have the best comedy in the world and an unwitting ability to laugh at ourselves, put ourselves down and take the piss. So many characters make up the UK population; we can live only 20 or thirty miles away from one city or town, where there are people completely different to us, talk differently, eat different foods, have different shops etc and whether they be Cheeky Cockneys, Scouser, Mancs, Jocks, Geordies, Welsh or whatever, we're all very different. Yet, we can all have a laugh together over a pint and take the piss til the cows come home.

Something goes very wrong when people migrate in droves as they did here 150 years ago, it happens elsewhere in the world too, those that migrate stay in a time warp, remaining the way the were and upholding their age old cultural nuances whilst the place they left moves on. Just such rotten luck that NZ must have got all those cold miserable Victorian so and so's a few generations back.
That's a very interesting post. But if I may point out out NZ is made up a vast number of cultures who have equally as many different food preferences and sense of humours.

South Auckland alone has 165 different cultures within in it, many of them in mixed marriages. That is what I love so much about SA and what most of you probably find hard to handle.

I doubt the cold miserable Victorian's you refer to (some of my own family) have much influence on the Kiwi's of today.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:18 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I met Dave Allen .
Is he dead now? We didn't have BBC growing up and I never even heard of him until after I went to London in 1987
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Is he dead now? We didn't have BBC growing up and I never even heard of him until after I went to London in 1987
Yes he is, very dead so I understand. I loved his humour.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:47 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Genesis
Yes he is, very dead so I understand. I loved his humour.
see - I was going to say something here but I'm afraid you wouldn't see that I was joking - humour - who'd have it? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.