Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many moved without visiting first?

How many moved without visiting first?

Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:49 pm
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future
Default How many moved without visiting first?

Greetings all,

Just in an idle moment having been quizzed by a few people about my reasoning, a common thread emerged and I just wondered what others had done. It wont change our minds but I was just interested.

We have never visited NZ but are still planning on moving there.

Reasoning as follows:

Speaking for myself only, having visited a place I was intending to live in the past, the visit went so badly I nearly pulled out and yet eventually lived there for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Imagine the enjoyment that one visit would have deprived me of!

So, we will move and back the best of what we find. We reason there will always be good and bad times and just expect, (and will work at), making the good times the best.
          Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:14 pm
          Just Joined

rob wells1 has a spectacular aura aboutrob wells1 has a spectacular aura aboutrob wells1 has a spectacular aura about
          Default Re: How many moved without visiting first?

Originally Posted by Bodgit
          Greetings all,

Just in an idle moment having been quizzed by a few people about my reasoning, a common thread emerged and I just wondered what others had done. It wont change our minds but I was just interested.

Reasoning as follows:

Speaking for myself only, having visited a place I was intending to live in the past, the visit went so badly I nearly pulled out and yet eventually lived there for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Imagine the enjoyment that one visit would have deprived me of!

So, we will move and back the best of what we find. We reason there will always be good and bad times and just expect, (and will work at), making the good times the best.

Me and my wife are looking to move to NZ and we haven't been before, she wants to take he dog with her, do you think that there will be a problem in doing this?
                  Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:37 pm
                  Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi,

We move to Tauranga in 3 weeks time - my husband and I have never visited NZ before, either.

Maybe we're just mad, but I don't think anyone can really know what it's like to live somewhere until you actually do. Also, with 3 kids under 4 I couldn't take a trip there and back.

Kathryn
                  Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:45 pm
                  Just Joined

chez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kathm
                  Hi,

We move to Tauranga in 3 weeks time - my husband and I have never visited NZ before, either.

Maybe we're just mad, but I don't think anyone can really know what it's like to live somewhere until you actually do. Also, with 3 kids under 4 I couldn't take a trip there and back.

Kathryn
                  where abouts in tauranga , and have you got jobs?
                  Old Dec 19th 2005, 6:16 pm
                  Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chez
                  where abouts in tauranga , and have you got jobs?
                  Don't know exactly where we'll be living yet, but hubby has a job in Te Maunga. The company has arranged 2 weeks in a motel in Mt Maunganui but after that we will need to find somewhere to rent.
                  Old Dec 19th 2005, 6:52 pm
                  BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Greetings all,

Reasoning as follows:

We moved to NZ three years without having been here before.... mainly because of time and money constraints.

Many ppl will find the idea of uprooting their lives without having been to a place difficult, which is understandable though.
                          Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:42 pm
                          Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rob wells1
                          Me and my wife are looking to move to NZ and we haven't been before, she wants to take he dog with her, do you think that there will be a problem in doing this?
                          There are no probs bringing dogs here unless it's a banned breed. Read up on NZ immigration and visit first because at least if you know you definitely can't live here then you know straightaway.

I felt like that about the US and Canada - don' tmind a visit, can't live there.

Here I was indifferent and it's 'okay' but the cost of living is a surprise to most.

All the best.
                          Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:02 pm
                          turkeytickler

Greetings all,

Reasoning as follows:

I think you are absolutely right that the context of a visit is totally different to actually getting down to the nitty gritty of life in a place..... finding a home, work, schools etc and it might lead you to a false conclusion.

I all would say is that new zealand is a very different country to what you see in the tourist and immigration literature, where it is all waterfalls, emerald lakes, mountains, bungy jumping and smiling maoris. You may or may not like the reality - plenty of people do, plenty dont.

For that reason - I would suggest you visit first - and whilst here, imagining the dollars you spend are the dollars you earn - dont think in £s.

Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:33 am
                                  BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here without visiting first. I dont think you can really get an idea of what its like to live somewhere just by visiting on a holiday/reccie... you have to live there and experience it for yourself.

So good luck with your move and I hope it all goes well for you. We do actually love it here in Beachlands...and would not want to move back to the UK.

Last edited by SarahB; Dec 20th 2005 at 12:51 am.
                                  Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:30 am
                                  livewire

We came here without visiting first and to be honest a recce wouldn't have told us anything all at about what it's like to work in NZ, which afterall is what most of us do when we get here.

If more people concentrated on getting the right job and less on getting to NZ there would be far fewer tears before bedtime . Flexibility is the name of the game though - don't tie yourself in to your first employer so if it doesn't work out you can go elsewhere.

Old Dec 20th 2005, 4:37 am
                                  Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

yeh, my whole family moved here without visiting first (the whole family being me, mum, dad, brother, grandma, grandad, 2 dogs and 2 cats!) we have lots of family here tho who all told us wonderful stories about the place. in actual fact, they didnt tell us all the stuff they should have done! i dont think its such a bad idea to move somewhere u have never been to because, like someone mentioned, ur perceptions of the place might be different according to different experiences.
                                  Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:20 am
                                  Victorian Evangelist

Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
                                  Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
                                  Smile Re: How many moved without visiting first?

Originally Posted by silvermuse
                                  yeh, my whole family moved here without visiting first (the whole family being me, mum, dad, brother, grandma, grandad, 2 dogs and 2 cats!) we have lots of family here tho who all told us wonderful stories about the place. in actual fact, they didnt tell us all the stuff they should have done! i dont think its such a bad idea to move somewhere u have never been to because, like someone mentioned, ur perceptions of the place might be different according to different experiences.
                                  I love NZ for visits - have been 6 or 7 times.

I don't like NZ for living - have done it once and couldn't do it again unless I didnt have to work for my money.

So on that basis you may as well go without visiting - chalk and cheese.

Cheers

Buzzy
                                  Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:08 am
                                  Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

We moved without visiting (apart from a quick trip to find work).
                                  Dog made it fine too.
                                  Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:45 am
                                  BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We too moved to NZ without visiting first, and what a great choice we made.

Gill and Rob
                                  Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:47 am
                                  Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
                                  We too moved to NZ without visiting first, and what a great choice we made.

Gill and Rob
                                  What's happenning on the old chicken front?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.