British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   how many have............ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-many-have-638161/)

unit5 Oct 29th 2009 8:43 pm

how many have............

hi everyone
i was just wondering how many of you have applied for the EOI without a job offer and been successful, i guess it depends on what you have to offer NZ, im a hairdresser and my partner a truck driver both with many years experience within these jobs,but they are not really needed in NZ (i know trucking is at the moment on the ISSL but its hard securing a job offer are there any other "truckers" that have a story to tell about their experience) i am looking all the time and sending off cv's to get a job offer but to no avail, i have a brother living in NZ with PR also which helps, but im unsure if i should apply now for the EOI or wait until we maybe get lucky and get a offer of work, what does anyone else think of this, any advice??the more i think about it the more confussed im getting please help many thanks for reading this regards andree :confused:

lardyl Oct 29th 2009 11:43 pm

Re: how many have............

we had a job offer but umed and ahed about it as we had enough points to go straight through without.

off the top of my head some pros and cons.

for job offer - speedy processing, security

against job offer - tied to employer/conditions for the three months for principal applicant, hard to get a job in NZ under normal conditions in certain sectors

getting PR whilst in NZ seems to be a reasonable process, and having close family here would offer a base for you to do an extended job-seeking recce either on visitors or on a work visa or PR and give more stability than some others have when they came.

suppose it depends on personal circumstances, particularly what work you or others in the family want to do and where your brother lives.....

someone else will come along and add some nuggets.....

good luck in the meantime! :thumbup:

BEVS Oct 30th 2009 12:29 am

Hairdresser is seen as a skilled occupation so you will be able to apply for PR under the skilled migrant category.

Truck driving is on the immediate shortage list, as you state, but it is not seen as a skilled occupation so you can't apply for PR under the SMC.

He could apply for a WTR - work to residence - if he could get a job offer with an accredited employer paying $55K pa.

Or, if he gained a trucking job offer, you could come over on a temporary work permit . You would then hope to find employment as a hairdresser and then you could apply for PR under the SMC .

How many points do you have as the principle applicant being a Hairdresser ?
Do you have management experience in a salon . This could possibly help.

There are truck drivers on the board. Angpaul is one. Perhaps PM them or maybe start another thread entitled truck driving and see which migrant truck drivers respond..

zoglet Oct 30th 2009 4:51 am

My partner and I had no job offer- we were pretty suprised to be offered PR. But here we are and half of us are working. Alot of employers wont touch you until you have a visa so I say go for it anyway- just don't over extend your self and if it all goes belly up you can chalk it down to experience!

Goodluck!:)