Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long to rent a house?

How long to rent a house?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all
Default How long to rent a house?

Hi eveyone

Another question for you.

How long does it take (roughly) to sort out housing? I'm going to be arriving 10 - 14 days before my husband and dog to find a place to rent. Do you think this is realistic?

Thanks

Becky
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to rent a house?

Originally Posted by becky667
Hi eveyone

How long does it take (roughly) to sort out housing? I'm going to be arriving 10 - 14 days before my husband and dog to find a place to rent. Do you think this is realistic?

Thanks

Becky
Yes - we found one and moved in within a week. If it is empty there should be no probs. If there are tenants then you may have to wait until their tenancy ends unless you can come to some arrangement. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

becky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to allbecky667 is a name known to all

Thats what I wanted to hear - due to having a dog I understand that my choice of rentals will be limited but I'll be aiming for an empty place so we can move in ASAP.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I wanted to hear - due to having a dog I understand that my choice of rentals will be limited but I'll be aiming for an empty place so we can move in ASAP.
Although we didn't have a dog so you will be limited in what you can have.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:38 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on whereabouts in NZ you will be located. Here in Marlborough, rentals suitable for families are like hen's teeth and I know it's a similar story over in Nelson too.

Have a look on here to see what you can find now, it may be worth making some initial enquiries in your chosen area

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/index.htm
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi eveyone

Thanks

Becky
2 days for us..
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

We were three weeks finding something. It was a very depressing process. We couldn't believe the "crap" that people will rent out. We were in Christchurch. There is a real estate book, the Red Book, put out each week. The book is by suburb and you get to Ilam, then it is investment. Investment properties are those sh**y properties that have gone to seed that you wouldn't live in yourself, but you would buy it and rent it out to some schmuck. Anyway, we were only interested in a particular spots, so that likely limited our choice. In the end, we did get a periodic tenancy on a sixties bungalow. We were totally unprepared for living in a Kiwi rental. We were so cold, and then the first electric bill came in, YIKES! Anyway, we stayed through the building of our house as moving is a hassel. When we moved, it seems the landlord follows a routine of intimidation to see if he can take advantage of leaving tenants to pay for all of those repairs that have been needed for years claiming we caused the damage. We thankfully had the initial inspection and the photos of the damage we could see as we moved in. However, it was so stressful for weeks after we moved out. However, it all went away.

That was our experience.

Please, make sure you get a periodic tenancy so you can move if needed or if you want to. I am seeing some very interesting real estate opportunities here in Rangiora. Too bad we didn't come before the boom and too bad we came before the price correction, however, the correction seems to be ending.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Becky,because we were bringing our dog we secured a rental before we left the UK and this worked out fine for us,It is more difficult to get a rental with a dog but even though they say no pets just ask because some will accept them..what area are you looking at?..Jacky
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Finding a decent rental if you have a dog could be a problem. What kind of dog do you have? Some landlords may be willing to accept dogs only of certain breeds, but most landlords don't want ANY breed of dog in their investment property, period. Generally speaking, the worse the property the more likely the landlord is to accept dogs.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Is a belgian shepherd dog - highy trained. I plan to bring references from our current landlord and letting agent as evidence thats the dogs no trouble.

We'll also offer a higher deposit if required - I'm sure we can find somewhere decent ...... eventually!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Your having a dog knocks out everythings I was intending to suggest. That might be a problem, as estate agents tend to prefer cats! I think your best bet is to take a rental for a few months and that would give you a breathing space to look around for a better one and also takes the pressure off you at the beginning.

Make sure you get one with only twenty one days notice and don't get tied into a long lease.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

We have a dog - a golden retriever, and managed to find a rental within a week.

There are so many rentals available at the moment, that us tenants can push a little harder to get them to accept a dog.

Yes, there are fewer rentals, but we found the reality if finding a rental far easier than we'd benn led to believe.

Where are you hoping to live?

Lou
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

My planned job is in Christchurch so I going to try and find a place within 20 mins commute. Mind you, although I hate city life in the UK so live by the coast - I might actually like Christchurch city!

I also don't think it will be too hard to find a property to rent with a dog allowed.

What sort of place did you get?

Becky
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

My planned job is in Christchurch so I going to try and find a place within 20 mins commute. Mind you, although I hate city life in the UK so live by the coast - I might actually like Christchurch city!

I also don't think it will be too hard to find a property to rent with a dog allowed.

What sort of place did you get?

Becky
My daughter found a rental in Redwood in Christchurch last year which accepted dogs. It is on the outskirts of Christchurch. You should be able to find one I would say quite easily that would accept a dog.

Good luck with your hunting.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you want to "Dream a little" check out this pet friendly property!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...-180306400.htm

Right on the water in my little town of Rangiora! Easy 20/30 min commute to Christchurch and only $500 per week she says tongue in cheek LOL !!!!

Nice to dream a little isn't it.

No we are not a seaside town either but about a 10 min drive away from the beaches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.