Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long to pass through Immigration and Customs?

How long to pass through Immigration and Customs?

Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Scankguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long to pass through Immigration and Customs?

Hi

I gained a residency visa last year on skilled migrant points , but due to possibility of promotion and now hoping for the chance of redundancy and the dosh (Company has been sold (out) by the Germans and bought by the Ozzies) haven't left the old UK just yet.

So I need to take a holiday to NZ to "renew" my visa into a permit as its nearing 12 months old. So a 3 week holiday tour of NZ to give me a chance to see my future home, and have a few interviews on the way.

But we want to arrive in Auckland and fly to Wellington to start the hol the same day. So I need to know how long it takes to get through Immigration so I know which internal flight to book to Wellington. We arrive in Auckland at about 7:30 am.

Any ideas?

Cheers

David
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:45 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to pass through Immigration and Customs?

We took a holiday to validate our visas in Feb this year.
Passage through immigration was a breeze as you go through the NZ residents gate, and they gave us a big welcome, stamped the passport, and on your way.
It's a great feeling.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scankguy
But we want to arrive in Auckland and fly to Wellington to start the hol the same day. So I need to know how long it takes to get through Immigration so I know which internal flight to book to Wellington. We arrive in Auckland at about 7:30 am.
If it was me, I would book the onward flight for 9:30am leaving Akl. This should give you ample time, maybe enough time for a coffee. It is MAF that usually gives you the hold up rather than immigration, checking your bags for fruit and wood etc.
Please don't schedule anything too difficult for that first day, you need to stay awake until evening if at all possible to stave off jet lag, and long distance flights are very tiring. Please don't drive anywhere on this first day.
Who did you book your flights with? Often you can get the flight to Wellington as part of those tickets. Worth checking.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I gained a residency visa last year on skilled migrant points , but due to possibility of promotion and now hoping for the chance of redundancy and the dosh (Company has been sold (out) by the Germans and bought by the Ozzies) haven't left the old UK just yet.

So I need to take a holiday to NZ to "renew" my visa into a permit as its nearing 12 months old. So a 3 week holiday tour of NZ to give me a chance to see my future home, and have a few interviews on the way.

Any ideas?

Cheers

David
depends on how many flights arrive close to each other. I have had 2 hours plus waiting to get through, other times its been 10 minutes

There used to be a small immigration desk tucked away above the escalators next to the Regency Duty Free shop, with almost no queues, not sure if that still exists.

allow quite a lot of time between flights to be safe
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Any ideas?

Cheers

David

hi david
i have just flown back from london (last weekend), i flew into auckland & onto wellington. i landed in auckland at 5.45am & my flight to wellington was at 8am & i still had time to do duty free in arrivals in auckland, have a wander around & read some of my book beforre my wellington flight.

once you've cleared passport control, collect bags, clear customs, then take bags to domestic transfers. You can then walk (15mins) of bus to domestic terminal.

(As a note of caution when i flew from welly to auckland i only had 1hr from landing to take off at auckland, as i entered international departures my flight to uk was on a final call )
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your comments - very helpful.

We have decided to take a 10:30 flight, and hopefully have time to look at duty free and take a shower, or just run to the other side of the airport depending...!

Cheers

David
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all your comments - very helpful.

We have decided to take a 10:30 flight, and hopefully have time to look at duty free and take a shower, or just run to the other side of the airport depending...!

Cheers

David
if you are connecting to a domestic flight, the domestic flight leaves from the domestic terminal. once you get through customs and immigration, allow about 30-45 mins to walk to the domestic terminal, go through security etc.

Any spare time you have over and above that is better spent in the international terminal as it has nicer shops, foodcourts etc. the domestic terminal has virtually no shops and only one bad food stall.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newkiwi
if you are connecting to a domestic flight, the domestic flight leaves from the domestic terminal. once you get through customs and immigration, allow about 30-45 mins to walk to the domestic terminal, go through security etc.

Any spare time you have over and above that is better spent in the international terminal as it has nicer shops, foodcourts etc. the domestic terminal has virtually no shops and only one bad food stall.
Thanks for all the repsonses - I easily managed the flight to Wellington inlcuding a coffee and shower (there is one in the international arrivals terminal - key availabe form the florist for free, rent towel if requried or in the internal flight departure up stairs - ask at the Isight place) once the bags were checked in for the internal flight.

On the return to the UK things were a bit tighter from Auckland with queing for the exit payment, security, and getting to the gate earlier - no tiem for duty free.

Cheers

David
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the repsonses - I easily managed the flight to Wellington inlcuding a coffee and shower (there is one in the international arrivals terminal - key availabe form the florist for free, rent towel if requried or in the internal flight departure up stairs - ask at the Isight place) once the bags were checked in for the internal flight.

On the return to the UK things were a bit tighter from Auckland with queing for the exit payment, security, and getting to the gate earlier - no tiem for duty free.

Cheers

David
Note of caution David.

We flew in with Malaysian Airlines, landing nearly 2 hours late. We missed final boarding by 5 minutes for our connection, and couldn't transfer the tickets ( bought the cheapest online one available). Cost us $850 for new tickets!!! If you fly with Air New Zealand and are delayed into NZ, they will automatically put you on the next flight available

Sarah
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Note of caution David.

We flew in with Malaysian Airlines, landing nearly 2 hours late. We missed final boarding by 5 minutes for our connection, and couldn't transfer the tickets ( bought the cheapest online one available). Cost us $850 for new tickets!!! If you fly with Air New Zealand and are delayed into NZ, they will automatically put you on the next flight available

Sarah
Sounds like a real nightmare - hopefully you can recover costs from insurance or the airline...?

Have to say Cathay were very punctual - I gues sthat is why we had to roll up to gate about an hour before boarding which nearly threw us on the way home.

Are you holiday or living the dream? Interesting to know how you are finding the lifestyle/salary equation. My other thread - Jobs - Show me the money is provoking a response!

Cheers

D