British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How Long For NZ Citizenship Application Processing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-long-nz-citizenship-application-processing-664506/)

FrequentFlyer Apr 18th 2010 4:41 am

How Long For NZ Citizenship Application Processing?

Hello Everyone,

I have just joined this site to share information and experiences with others in the same position (Brit living in NZ). I am currently living in NZ as a permanent resident, and I am about to apply for citizenship.

Does anyone here have any experience of how long NZ citizenship takes to process? In particular I am really scared about having to submit my UK passport for what appears to be the duration of the assessment (up to 7 months???) - what if something goes wrong with family back in the UK and I need to get back on the next plane leaving? My folks are late eighties and early nineties so its a very serious worry and time is not on my side.

My UK passport also expires in 6 month's time so I am also stressing on the what if I need to get back in an emergency and I don't get my UK passport back in time to get it renewed before the expiry date? I just read a post on here that said it had taken over six weeks so far to renew at the Consulate?

I'm guessing I am not the first to be worried about this so if anyone has experience of when I can get my documents back or if I can get them back sooner than the 7 months, and what happens if you need to travel for emergency things whilst passports are being renewed at the Consulate, that would be great to hear.

Thanks everyone!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 18th 2010 6:43 am

Re: How Long For NZ Citizenship Application Processing?

A couple of my friends have got citizenship in the last couple of years & they told me that they got there passports back after 2 or 3 weeks, although they didn't hear about their application status for a few months. So I don't think you have any worries there.

We sent ours off on Wednesday & they obviously arrived as the Citizenship peeps have already processed the payments on Thursday :eek:. I'll let you know when we get them back!

FrequentFlyer Apr 18th 2010 7:05 am

Aww thanks for that Vitalstatistix ........ a few weeks til I get my documents back I can handle. Seven months was just scary.

Good luck with your application too - I just read on another post in here that you are in the same boat!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 18th 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer (Post 8504342)
Aww thanks for that Vitalstatistix ........ a few weeks til I get my documents back I can handle. Seven months was just scary.

Good luck with your application too - I just read on another post in here that you are in the same boat!

Many thanks.