Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long to find work?

How long to find work?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default How long to find work?

So, how long once you were in New Zealand did it take you to find work?

Just wondering really as I'm currently looking for IT Systems Admin work in Auckland, and although I've only been looking for a couple of weeks, I just wondered how long people were looking before they got there 1st job over here?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long to find work?

Hi,

I managed to get a job about 2 weeks before we left the UK! OH got a job within about 2 months that was over Christmas
I have been told that the job market should get going in the next few weeks, once everyone is back from their summer holidays!

Good Luck
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:45 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - it should start to pick up in the next few weeks after the Christmas slacking period ends!
It took me 6 days after landing to get a job offer but I had been dealing with agencies for a few months and lining up interviews.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Thanks both. Yeah I'm hoping it will pickup again in the next week or so as I'm keen as to get back to work.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AndyR;8233474]So, how long once you were in New Zealand did it take you to find work? QUOTE]

When we arrived in 2007 less than a week. But I was out of work for nearly a year in 2009, partly my choice. Seriously started looking for work in August 2009 and picked up short term contract work initially then in December picked up a full time role - a dream job in actual fact. Since October the job market has improved alot in Auckland, but unfortunately everything closes for about six weeks over the holidays. As Rob said things should start picking up in the next few weeks. A lot of companies just do not reply or reply a very long time after you have initially applied for a job so don't give up. Good luck with the job hunting.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:28 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

I have been here 3 months and cant find any work I am a Waste Water Engineer by trade.
But have applied for different jobs in different industries and no luck.
Its not just me that cant find work.
When we came over in September three other Nurses and there families came at the same time. None of the partners have managed to find work.
I have friends here from the UK they have been here over a year now and both have taken on franchises rather than be out of work.
Hopefully it will pick up when everyone goes back to work over the next few weeks.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Vicky86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR

Just wondering really as I'm currently looking for IT Systems Admin work in Auckland, and although I've only been looking for a couple of weeks, I just wondered how long people were looking before they got there 1st job over here?
My friend recommend me to their company, so I didn't spend any time to find my first job, I think it's the best time to find a job at the end or beginning of one year.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

way back in 2002.. i had about 4 weeks before i found some temp work ( i was in the middle of no where.. so i wasnt that suprised)

The temp work lasted 3 months.. over christmas there was no temp work and so i had a bit of enforced holiday..

My proper ( career) job arrived after that.

So 4 months in total give or take..non stop emplyment ever since.. and in demand. ( ) ( i am in water / engineering)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:55 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DeepSix
way back in 2002.. i had about 4 weeks before i found some temp work ( i was in the middle of no where.. so i wasnt that suprised)

The temp work lasted 3 months.. over christmas there was no temp work and so i had a bit of enforced holiday..

My proper ( career) job arrived after that.

So 4 months in total give or take..non stop emplyment ever since.. and in demand. ( ) ( i am in water / engineering)
Hey if you are a Waster Water Engineer
and in demand
then please send some of the demand my way
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

ah.. it all depends on what you mean by waste water..

i do some onsite waste water design (Septic tanks, rural factory waste discharge) that sort of thing.. but i also do stuff to do with irrigation and stormwater..
so not to sure if its you line of work?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR

Hi Andy,

If you would like to send us your CV my husband will forward it to the IT company he works for on the North Shore.
Also have you tried www.robertwalters.co.nz as he always found them excellent.

Carole
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi Andy,

If you would like to send us your CV my husband will forward it to the IT company he works for on the North Shore.
Also have you tried www.robertwalters.co.nz as he always found them excellent.

Carole
Great thanks!! PM sent
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Red face Re: How long to find work?

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

I managed to get a job about 2 weeks before we left the UK! OH got a job within about 2 months that was over Christmas
I have been told that the job market should get going in the next few weeks, once everyone is back from their summer holidays!

Good Luck
We arrived in lovely New Plymouth in July 09 my hubby already having a job. Unfortunately I have not been so lucky, agency have been a waste of time and jobs seem non existant. Starting to go slightly nuts being at home all day after always working back in the UK. Market does seem to be picking up so fingers crossed things are on the way up.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by deb_steve
We arrived in lovely New Plymouth in July 09 my hubby already having a job. Unfortunately I have not been so lucky, agency have been a waste of time and jobs seem non existant. Starting to go slightly nuts being at home all day after always working back in the UK. Market does seem to be picking up so fingers crossed things are on the way up.
Hi the job front does seem to be picking up in New Plymouth Im sure it wont be too long for you!
OH had same issue with recruitment agencies so he applied for anything interesting advertised on seek or in the paper and luckily for him found something and started last week (its not what his backgound is in either). He was started to get a wee bit bored being a house husband!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Just to update everyone here.

I got offered a job on Wednesday which I have accepted and start on Monday!!

They have already filled out my Work Permit Employee Supplementary Form, just waiting for my police checks to arrive from the UK now before I submit the work permit in full. Luckily I already have a Working Holiday Visa so I have told them I can work until that expires (December 2010) but need the work permit to stay, which they are happy with so its all systems go for tomorrow morning now.

1st day nerves are starting to kick in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.