Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long does the process take

How long does the process take

Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice
Question How long does the process take

Hi All,
I'm new to all this- my husband and I and our 3 girls are moving to Whangarei and I was wondering if anyone can tell us how long the process takes .
We have had to wait 2 months to get our family medical, which is on Friday.As long as there is no hitch at this point we then just have to send everything to process for our skilled migrant visas.
Can anyone tell us how long they take as we were really hoping to depart in April. Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does the process take

Originally Posted by Alex
Hi All,
I'm new to all this- my husband and I and our 3 girls are moving to Whangarei and I was wondering if anyone can tell us how long the process takes .
We have had to wait 2 months to get our family medical, which is on Friday.As long as there is no hitch at this point we then just have to send everything to process for our skilled migrant visas.
Can anyone tell us how long they take as we were really hoping to depart in April. Thanks
Hi Alex and welcome
is it safe to assume that you had been selected and invited to apply prior to the recent changes, otherwise they are not selecting again until 1st Feb so everything will get slowed down.
Assuming you are at the stage of submitting your ITA here's our timescales - I'm sure others will add theirs to give you an idea.

We submitted our ITA in skilled migrant category without job offers (both on long term shortage list) with 140 points on 30 Mar 05 - we had telephone interview 10th May 05, approval in principle on 14th May 05.
From then we had 6 months to get our passports stamped and 12 months from getting our stamps to arrive in NZ - we arrived Oct 05 (delayed by selling house etc!!) - oh and its brill!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck
Vicki
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:32 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

We had all our documents ready to go and a job offer the medical results were the final part of the jigsaw. We had a good immigration officer and she turned it around for us in about 10 days. I then work 4 weeks notice and we left so all in all about 6 weeks but could have been only 2 weeks. good luck we hope you enjoy it as much as we are.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice

Hi again,
Thanks for the help.
We have been "invited to apply" and my husband has a job, but he has to give 3 months notice.
I believe the medical changed in November, hence the delay, but your posts are reassuring and we are looking forward to our "adventure".
Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:56 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

How excited you must all be!! It takes us back a few months. What I suggest you do is make sure you have got full birth certificates for you all, apply for your police checks now, make sure you all have up to date passports, go to the post office and get loads of passport sized photos, etc etc. If you then liaise with your immigration officer and let them know what you're plans are we have found them to be exteremely accommodating and helpful if you have any queries. One other piece of advice for women going for medicals - take your latest smear test results with you as they will ask for this..

Good luck, if you want any guidance let us know.