Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long does a house sale take in the UK please?

How long does a house sale take in the UK please?

Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default How long does a house sale take in the UK please?

How long does an average house sale take in the UK please. I can't remember. In NZ a house will be signed , sealed and delivered in a month or less.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:35 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long does a house sale take in the UK please?

Originally Posted by BEVS
How long does an average house sale take in the UK please. I can't remember. In NZ a house will be signed , sealed and delivered in a month or less.
usually about 8 weeks if I remember and that's if there is no chain and problems
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:44 pm
`

Thanks for that

Nope. There is no chain. These would be first time buyers through a Homebuy scheme as they are both with the NHS.

that this happens. I just want this part to be over and done with.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

kejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nice

Just to give you and indication my house went on the market and I was lucky enough to get an offer which we accepted in 5 weeks. We accepted that offer exactly a month ago today.

Given the current stage we are at, and we had our buyers around tonight just checking things over so they can purchase sofa's etc etc etc, we expect to complete and exchange contracts within the next 3-4 weeks.

We have no chain, with them in rented and us now having to find rented accom (expect for about 3-4 months but obviously will no doubt be a 6 month agreement).

A consideration for the above timeline is I put everything on hold for two weeks as I had to travel up home and look after my mother with my siblings. She was terminal and so had that to look after her at home and then deal with the funeral arrangements.

kejktfc
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that

Nope. There is no chain. These would be first time buyers through a Homebuy scheme as they are both with the NHS.

that this happens. I just want this part to be over and done with.
With no chain, it can be fast....you can even exchange and complete on same day if you want.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

kejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nice

I think that would be pushing it, both sides would have to have solicitors lined up already, with the buyer having a surveyor ready to go as well.

kejktfc
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:02 am
`

Originally Posted by kejktfc
Just to give you and indication my house went on the market and I was lucky enough to get an offer which we accepted in 5 weeks. We accepted that offer exactly a month ago today.

Given the current stage we are at, and we had our buyers around tonight just checking things over so they can purchase sofa's etc etc etc, we expect to complete and exchange contracts within the next 3-4 weeks.

We have no chain, with them in rented and us now having to find rented accom (expect for about 3-4 months but obviously will no doubt be a 6 month agreement).

A consideration for the above timeline is I put everything on hold for two weeks as I had to travel up home and look after my mother with my siblings. She was terminal and so had that to look after her at home and then deal with the funeral arrangements.

kejktfc

I am sorry for your loss kejktfc. It is a tough time no matter how or when. Those we love are always gone too soon. I was doing the exact same thing in January when I travelled back to be with & help my Dad until he lost his final battle . You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Thanks for the info.

Mate ! blummin' lucky you are that I spelt kejktfc right .Couldn't you have chosen Smith or summat as a username.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:30 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Mate ! blummin' lucky you are that I spelt kejktfc right .Couldn't you have chosen Smith or summat as a username.
Thought as much... lol
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:06 am
`

Originally Posted by Matewx
Thought as much... lol

I need your vote somewhere elsey or I might have to adopt you.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Hello Bevs

Ok - so in my capacity as an estate agent - A house sale can depend on several things
If you have a HIP prepared on the property you are selling then all the searches and legal title should have been sourced as the property went on the market - this obviously saves time when it gets to sale.
If there is no HIP (assuming its been on the market since before july ish 07) then all these will be arranged now and traditionally this process can take a couple of weeks.
I have a little experience of this 'Homebuyers' scheme. They can be incredibly long and drawn out - lots of different levels of qualification to go through if these people have only just gone on the scheme.
However, if they have been through the vetting process and everything is ok this shouldnt be an issue for you.
These days with the HIPs a sale can go from offer to completion in a couple of weeks.
We had one sale through in fortnight!!!
When we sold our house in May 08 we had a chain of 3 and went from offer to completion in 5 weeks - it was absolute hell and i wouldnt recommend anyone try and arrange movers, pack and arrange a rental with only 1 week between exchange and completion.
And Bevs - dont forget, over here with our backward system even if the process takes 8 weeks to get to exchange - if they decide they dont want it before exchange of contracts - they can just walk away.

I wish you good luck and i hope this post helps - if you have any further questions - fire away - i will help if i can x

P.S. please dont hold the fact that i am an estate agent against me - i am a good person really
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:01 am
`

You are....

Psychopandy - the real estate agent -and you are a good person really

Thanks for that. Have some karma.

M'Dads house went on the market in May 09 as an executor sale so it should have all it's reports in place I would hope.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bevs for you kind thoughts, on top of all the immigration, selling house and my ma passing away, I have started a new job. What was it they said where the most stressful time in you lifes.......

Mind you saying that, whilst going through all that I have managed to reduce my smoking by more than 50% and am on less than 10 a day now, as well as considerably reducing my consumption of red wine.....

Sorry, back on topic....

I would add good point noted above ref the HIP. The HIP was completed obviously before the house went on sale so does assist as stated.

kejktfc
(I use this moniker on another forum for the team I support and was a Director at - kej are my forename initials) -
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:50 am
`

Originally Posted by [B
kejktfc[/B]]as well as considerably reducing my consumption of red wine.....
no, no, no. Your brow will furrow. You will shrink in stature and you will turn wizened and all wrinkly like.

I am convinced my Dad would smote me if I gave up my love of a good wine. He kept the stuff everywhere in his house and I mean real good stuff.

Do not do this. It is bad for Immigration finger and other associated NZ Immy syndromes.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

I am going to show my better half you post as soon as she gets back from work.....in the meantime I am off to purchase a nice South African red for tonight.........

kejktfc
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We accepted an offer from a cash buyer on 28th May with no chain, exchanged contracts on 21st July and then completed on 8th August (they had to wait 2 weeks between exchange and completion or pay their solicitors more). So in total 10 weeks. This is considered fast.

It took ages for the solicitors to communicate with each other at times.

Still, we fly to NZ tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.