Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long does citizenship take?

How long does citizenship take?

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long does citizenship take?

Hi
Just wondered how long the whole application to being granted citizensip process takes here? We have done the required 5 years since PR here, but when I rang to make an appointment they suggested 'up to 4 months for approval, then up to another 4 months for the ceremony'. 8 months???
Just wondered in reality if it does take that long, or if thats worse case scenario....
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:23 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does citizenship take?

From memory , it certainly took a good 6 months + from application to actual ceremony.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

6 months for me too.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I applied on 1st May this year via a face to face appointment (DIA Wellington) with my application form and paperwork. Background checks conducted and invited to Citizenship ceremony which took place on 14th August. So, in total 3 1/2 months for me (Lower Hutt).

Be mindful of the fact that if you miss the 'cut off' for the invite to the next ceremony in your location, you will have to wait for the next one which could indeed be another 3 to 4 months later!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Took about 3 months all up, including ceremony....& it was done via snail mail...
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:22 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink View Post
Took about 3 months all up, including ceremony....& it was done via snail mail...
Not sure I understand. How was the ceremony done?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Not sure I understand. How was the ceremony done?
At the council offices, swear the oath, get citizenship certificate & get a cabbage tree, have a cuppa and sarni with the mayor.

Waiting for the ceremony date took the most time....
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:40 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

Ah ! It read a bit differently.
You got a cabbage tree? Different at least. Most get a kowhai tree which grow like weeds.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:07 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

I lodged my application personally in Wellington, and had a decision in 2 1/2 weeks but I had to wait 3 months for the ceremony at my local council offices