Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long do we have to stay each year

How long do we have to stay each year

Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:31 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do we have to stay each year

Hi Caitlin, I have re-read your original post and subsequent ones and apologise for being so judgemental
I read your original post as your house hadn't sold so you just intended to ping pong back and forward and that is something that NZ employers are wary off and it can cause problems for those that emigrate here permanently, trying to persuade potential bosses that we intend to stay!
I am sorry I didn't understand from your original post that you were trying to relocate permanently and now you've explained the horrible time you've had trying to sell up I understand fully now your question. You must have been through an absolute nightmare being so terribly let down by your original buyers. I hope you do find another one soon and can get on with achieving your dreams.
Yes, as far as I know you have to spend at least 6 months of each year here to meet the criteria and like I said originally, I'm not sure if there are other conditions, but now that you've said about the size of your UK mortgage I'm not sure you would be able to pay that on a NZ wage as well as afford to rent/pay mortgage here and the cost of living compared to wages isn't as good here. Maybe you intend to rent your UK house out to cover the mortgage whilst your here? That would be one way I guess to help cover the costs.
Anyway, please accept my sincere apologies. I hope it all works out ok for you.