Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long do we have to stay each year

How long do we have to stay each year

Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

caitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nice
Default How long do we have to stay each year

We have been granted returning visitors visas and have been told that we need to spend 6 months this year and 6 months next year in NZ in order to qualify for permanent residency afterwards (my hubby and I are both nurses).

does anyone know a way around this? Just cos our house hasn't sold and it is almost impossible to consider working in NZ for 6 months while trying to pay a UK mortgage with a NZ wage!

Also if we do manage to do 6months for each of the 2 years, will we then HAVE to live in NZ lock stock and barrell from the date of our residency or are we free to live here and there if we choose to?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:01 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How long do we have to stay each year

Sorry to sound harsh here but do you want your cake and eat it?

From what you said you can not work in NZ because your on Visitor Visas. As I understood it Permanant residency means just that permanant.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:15 am
Just Joined

whirly has a spectacular aura aboutwhirly has a spectacular aura aboutwhirly has a spectacular aura about

also after you have your residancy through yuo still have to sapend 6 months of ht eyear in the country for two years until it is a full residence permit,,
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by caitlin206
We have been granted returning visitors visas and have been told that we need to spend 6 months this year and 6 months next year in NZ in order to qualify for permanent residency afterwards (my hubby and I are both nurses).

does anyone know a way around this? Just cos our house hasn't sold and it is almost impossible to consider working in NZ for 6 months while trying to pay a UK mortgage with a NZ wage!

Also if we do manage to do 6months for each of the 2 years, will we then HAVE to live in NZ lock stock and barrell from the date of our residency or are we free to live here and there if we choose to?
Hi Caitlin,
have you just been granted residency? If so your residency permit allows you to leave the country for up to two years, if you have not returned within that 2 years (1 yr 11 months) then you will have to reapply for residency. But you can be out of the country for up to that two years without any problems. However, when you return and apply for a returning residents visa you will not be granted an indefinite RRV as you have not contributed to NZ. So when you return it must be for a reasonable period of time or you will not get an RRV.

The 6 months this year and 6 months next year rule is to be granted an indefinite RRV and no there is no way round it!

Debbie
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:49 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there were other conditions that had to be met aswell during the 2 year probationary PR period.

To be honest, from your post, you don't sound like you want to be in NZ anyway - so why are you even bothering?

I've lost count of the stories I've heard about NZ employers being 'wary' of English immigrants because they take a chance on them and offer work, then wait patiently whilst things get sorted, then the new employee either doesn't turn up at all, or comes but goes back shortly afterwards, or comes and just uses them as a stepping stone, etc, etc, and it does make them all the more wary and think twice before considering immigrants again. Don't know if the same is true of all nationalities. Only heard about the English ones that let NZ employers down this way.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Please clarify whether you have yet entered NZ and subsequently been given a permit and if so what type of permit?

It is only citizenship or indefinite return visas that allow you full flexibility.

There are various paths to IRV's but you must first have permanent residency.

WOS
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:30 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

I quite agree with Teamembo. Shell and I have lost count of the amount of jobs we have applied for where the employer has treated us with some suspicion on how long we are staying in New Zealand. On the other hand we have lost count of the amount of employers who wont take us on because we are staying in the country. Cant win

Like I said before you either want to move to New Zealand or you dont, we await your reply.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
I quite agree with Teamembo. Shell and I have lost count of the amount of jobs we have applied for where the employer has treated us with some suspicion on how long we are staying in New Zealand. On the other hand we have lost count of the amount of employers who wont take us on because we are staying in the country. Cant win

Like I said before you either want to move to New Zealand or you dont, we await your reply.
Not necessarily - sometimes it's beneficial or preferable to keep a presence in both countries, especially in this day and age.

WOS
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I thought there were other conditions that had to be met aswell during the 2 year probationary PR period.

To be honest, from your post, you don't sound like you want to be in NZ anyway - so why are you even bothering?

I've lost count of the stories I've heard about NZ employers being 'wary' of English immigrants because they take a chance on them and offer work, then wait patiently whilst things get sorted, then the new employee either doesn't turn up at all, or comes but goes back shortly afterwards, or comes and just uses them as a stepping stone, etc, etc, and it does make them all the more wary and think twice before considering immigrants again. Don't know if the same is true of all nationalities. Only heard about the English ones that let NZ employers down this way.
You're being a bit judgemental...Kiwis frequently jump the ditch to earn extra cash from OZ and Brits have various reasons for wanting to keep a foot in both doors...if you can do it go ahead it's only their own reputation they are ruining I got the first job I applied for and it is a good one so I can't say I have been disadvantaged by Brits ping ponging but I have been advantaged by Kiwis going to Oz.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by phil01
I can't say I have been disadvantaged by Brits ping ponging but I have been advantaged by Kiwis going to Oz.
I wonder if your judgemental opinion would be changed IF that had happened to you? Lifes full of experiances and just because you have not had it happen does not mean it dont happen.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

caitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nice

I have to say that I was seeking advice only - not looking for judgements about cakes and eating them. Debbie - thanks for your most sensible answer by the way.
god, some of the rest of you are eager not to embrace a fellow brit aren't you?
My family WILL relocate to NZ - completely. We don't want feet in both countries or our cake and eat it. But if you bothered to read my thread properly you will have seen that MY HOUSE HERE IN THE UK WILL NOT SELL!!!!!
therefore with a mortgage of £200,000 I cannot see how i can live in NZ and pay my mortgage in UK! GET IT?
So, I wondered if I could live and work 6 months here and 6 months there so that I show my committment to NZ (for their 6 months) and earn enough to pay my mortgage for the UK 6 months.
Anyway, I will find all the information out for myself as I have found you lot far too judgemental and unhelpful.
Once again, thanks Debbie for your sensible and informative answer,
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

I have to say that I was seeking advice only - not looking for judgements about cakes and eating them. Debbie - thanks for your most sensible answer by the way.
god, some of the rest of you are eager not to embrace a fellow brit aren't you?
My family WILL relocate to NZ - completely. We don't want feet in both countries or our cake and eat it. But if you bothered to read my thread properly you will have seen that MY HOUSE HERE IN THE UK WILL NOT SELL!!!!!
therefore with a mortgage of £200,000 I cannot see how i can live in NZ and pay my mortgage in UK! GET IT?
So, I wondered if I could live and work 6 months here and 6 months there so that I show my committment to NZ (for their 6 months) and earn enough to pay my mortgage for the UK 6 months.
Anyway, I will find all the information out for myself as I have found you lot far too judgemental and unhelpful.
Once again, thanks Debbie for your sensible and informative answer,
Hi Caitlin
I hope you manage to sell your house that mortgage is a killer.
My friends are in the same postion.
Just ignore the pious few on here, continue to post!!!.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that McMuddy. Our intention is to relocate 100% to NZ and we do have our resident and RRV visas in place but until the house is sold our hands are tied.
I don't think people in NZ have any idea about the farcical system we have for buying and selling houses in England.
My friend recently bought his house in NZ. Saw it at 11am and owned it by 3pm same day. A similar sale here in England would take 3 months at least, and then there is no saying that on the last possible day before completion, the buyers will change their minds and pull out!!! (as happened to us when we had already got our secured jobs, starting dates and accommodation in NZ). We had our stuff packed and I had sold my business and rehoused my animals so - for those few who have been a bit judgemental perhaps they may have wanted to ask about the bigger picture.
Never mind, as I said in my thread, I have taken to searching other internet sites which don't rely on judgements but rather on advice and I am slowly finding my way through the muddle.
Thanks to all for your help and for the enormous welcome to your site?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

OOps - apologies for mispelling your name!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:09 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future
Smile Re: How long do we have to stay each year

Thanks for that McMuddy. Our intention is to relocate 100% to NZ and we do have our resident and RRV visas in place but until the house is sold our hands are tied.
I don't think people in NZ have any idea about the farcical system we have for buying and selling houses in England.
My friend recently bought his house in NZ. Saw it at 11am and owned it by 3pm same day. A similar sale here in England would take 3 months at least, and then there is no saying that on the last possible day before completion, the buyers will change their minds and pull out!!! (as happened to us when we had already got our secured jobs, starting dates and accommodation in NZ). We had our stuff packed and I had sold my business and rehoused my animals so - for those few who have been a bit judgemental perhaps they may have wanted to ask about the bigger picture.
Never mind, as I said in my thread, I have taken to searching other internet sites which don't rely on judgements but rather on advice and I am slowly finding my way through the muddle.
Thanks to all for your help and for the enormous welcome to your site?
Hi Caitlin...not defending the site...or the people who bother to reply and try to help BUT there are a lot of brits, who do seem to come on the site and to seem to want the best of both countries, or whinge about life in New Zealand and i would think that some of the replies, were based on you being the former.
I have been looking at moving to New Zealand and have found the site and 95% of the replies, really helpfull and informative.
I am sure the more you use the site...the more you will find this out...good luck with your house sale.

Last edited by reecefam; Nov 13th 2007 at 6:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.