British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How long can you live in a bach for? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-long-can-you-live-bach-892874/)

movingtonewzealand Feb 28th 2017 8:10 pm

How long can you live in a bach for?

Hi all,

Found conflicting information on this topic so thought I'd ask here.

Want to know if we're able to live in a bach permanently while we build a house.

Thanks

jmh Feb 28th 2017 8:27 pm

Re: How long can you live in a bach for?

I wasn't aware that there are rules on this. I assumed you could live there as long as you wanted.

carcajou Feb 28th 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 12193389)
I wasn't aware that there are rules on this. I assumed you could live there as long as you wanted.

That's what I thought. I think bach is just NZ English for a small holiday home?

simonsi Feb 28th 2017 9:01 pm

Lol - most of the Whangaparaoa peninsular were holiday bachs 20yrs ago. Not sure what regulation might be in place to prevent long-term occupancy other than a local bylaw or similar covenant on the bach itself...?

movingtonewzealand Feb 28th 2017 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12193419)
Lol - most of the Whangaparaoa peninsular were holiday bachs 20yrs ago. Not sure what regulation might be in place to prevent long-term occupancy other than a local bylaw or similar covenant on the bach itself...?

Great I'm happy with these answers! Will double check with council once we've found one to buy.

simonsi Feb 28th 2017 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand (Post 12193507)
Great I'm happy with these answers! Will double check with council once we've found one to buy.

Just check there isn't a rate reduction in place, that wouldn't prevent you living there full time but I'm guessing you'll need to pay full rates.

Pom_Chch Mar 1st 2017 2:50 am

Never heard of any rules against it. I work for a company that rents out bach's/holiday homes long-term for its workers when they are away working on jobs. If it is an issue you could always look at house sitting on Kiwi House Sitters. Would save you a small fortune, just a thought :)

Bo-Jangles Mar 1st 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand (Post 12193507)
Will double check with council once we've found one to buy.

I don't know what your understanding of the word 'bach' is but it is just a second home; being a house like any other house and if you buy it you can live in it for as long as you keep paying the mortgage. Some baches are shabby old shacks with long drop and no utilities, others are really flash pads with all mod cons.

I wonder though are you thinking about a 'relocatable' home to put on site whilst you build? There are covenents / restrictions on some land that prevent people from putting relocatables up and lowering the tone of the neighbourhood with shabby old shacks.

BEVS Mar 1st 2017 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand (Post 12193378)
Hi all,

Found conflicting information on this topic so thought I'd ask here.

Want to know if we're able to live in a bach permanently while we build a house.

Thanks

I'll echo Bo-J here.

What do mean by bach please?
  • Are you looking for land with an old bach on and then build a property on that section?
  • Buy a bach and then keep that as a 2nd holiday home
  • Buy a section and then place some sort of temp accom to live in whilst building

MrsFychan Mar 1st 2017 8:20 pm

as BEV and Bo-J say.

What can and can't be done on a section depends on thats sections restrictions, no one can answer you on this as its a case by case scenario.

Someone is building on one of the hills nr Waikanae off SH1, they first were using a caravan whilst a small property - looks like relocated house - was set up, they moved in and are now building larger property in front of it. maybe the smaller property will be a holiday let or granny flat? But that does not mean someone 1km down the road or on the next hump of the hill would be allowed to do this.

MrsFychan Mar 1st 2017 8:22 pm

Now if you are saying that you want to buy a bach to use as a holiday home away from the residential property, once it has been built I do not believe there is a time limit on the owner staying in it. renting it out may be a different matter and is something you would need to get legal advise on.

movingtonewzealand Mar 1st 2017 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12194386)
Now if you are saying that you want to buy a bach to use as a holiday home away from the residential property, once it has been built I do not believe there is a time limit on the owner staying in it. renting it out may be a different matter and is something you would need to get legal advise on.

Yes we are looking at living in a Bach while we build on separate land. Not looking at relocating another house to put on the land. Just a way for us to live rent free while also paying off our land. We could live in a caravan but we don't really want to (a Bach looks like a cheap and comfortable way of doing it).

Having looked at a few places, they do vary in how long you are "allowed" to stay in a Bach. On many, they have conditions as to when you are allowed to stay and for how long. For example, one of them said you can stay over Christmas period (December to February), however any other time is a maximum of 21 days on three separate occasions throughout the year.

They would need to keep tabs on you to enforce this rule though, and apparently there are many people that stay all year round.

movingtonewzealand Mar 1st 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12193562)
Never heard of any rules against it. I work for a company that rents out bach's/holiday homes long-term for its workers when they are away working on jobs. If it is an issue you could always look at house sitting on Kiwi House Sitters. Would save you a small fortune, just a thought :)

Thanks Pom_Chch. Had a look at that site and that's a good idea for some. Never knew it existed, thank you!

BEVS Mar 1st 2017 10:53 pm

I am very puzzled by the above post.

A bach is a 2nd hol home. Some people rent out their bach. Some don't. It will be up to the owner as to the rental agreement.

Can you link to whatever site you are using that is showing you bach homes where you can stay for free please?

If you are looking for free accom , then Pom's suggestion of house sitting is likely the way to go. You house sit in exchange for chores and pet sitting.

movingtonewzealand Mar 1st 2017 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12194504)
I am very puzzled by the above post.

A bach is a 2nd hol home. Some people rent out their bach. Some don't. It will be up to the owner as to the rental agreement.

Can you link to whatever site you are using that is showing you bach homes where you can stay for free please?

If you are looking for free accom , then Pom's suggestion of house sitting is likely the way to go. You house sit in exchange for chores and pet sitting.

Lol. I mean that I would pay the full amount on the bach. So rent free & mortgage free.