Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How important is local NZ work experience in job hunting?

How important is local NZ work experience in job hunting?

Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How important is local NZ work experience in job hunting?

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Sorry to be nosey but why does your teacher reg run out in November?
Coz its provisional registration (for 3 years)
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citybanklondon
Coz its provisional registration (for 3 years)
Must have misunderstood your post about Visa activation, guess you got your Teaching registration long before you got to NZ.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Must have misunderstood your post about Visa activation, guess you got your Teaching registration long before you got to NZ.
yes quite, three years before arriving.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citybanklondon
Hello Folks,

Does any forum member have experience as a migrant of searching for work and coming up with problems as employers want / prefer those with New Zealand work experience? In the NZ Herald there was an article recently talking about increased migration to NZ but migrants taking low pay jobs or having difficulty in finding jobs as the employers demand applicants have a few years NZ experience. When searching my scope will be in AKL / Hamilton so anyone with experience in those locations would be particularly helpful. Thanks alot! CBL
Definitely.

I came over with a job offer in essential skills shortage area. Job didn't work out. I really struggled to get interviews for other jobs due to lack of experience in the NZ work force.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Husband needs to be offered work before we move out (if we do) as that's the only way we'll have enough points for an SMC visa. The likelihood of that is very high though as he has skills in short supply within a skills shortage area. it means there's not a huge amount of jobs but the plus side is there's very few applicants for them.

I'm taking the attitude I'll have to be self employed for a time doing things that I used to do self employed in the UK and that I'll need to do unpaid, voluntary, low grade work within my professional sector if I want to learn the NZ ropes and be seriously considered for paid employment at my professional level.

Sadly this is also happening in the UK. Two of my friends teenage daughters gained good degrees then had to work unpaid for three months with companies before being considered for a paid position. They were deemed to be 'graduate trainees' when working for nothing but they effectively did a full time job.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
Husband needs to be offered work before we move out (if we do) as that's the only way we'll have enough points for an SMC visa. The likelihood of that is very high though as he has skills in short supply within a skills shortage area. it means there's not a huge amount of jobs but the plus side is there's very few applicants for them.

I'm taking the attitude I'll have to be self employed for a time doing things that I used to do self employed in the UK and that I'll need to do unpaid, voluntary, low grade work within my professional sector if I want to learn the NZ ropes and be seriously considered for paid employment at my professional level.

Sadly this is also happening in the UK. Two of my friends teenage daughters gained good degrees then had to work unpaid for three months with companies before being considered for a paid position. They were deemed to be 'graduate trainees' when working for nothing but they effectively did a full time job.

Yes can understand the frustration but in our case if I don't secure paid work in the first few weeks I will simply start my own business as cant remain idle for a long time!