British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How have you cleared your clutter for the move? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-have-you-cleared-your-clutter-move-391815/)

helinuk Aug 21st 2006 7:53 am

How have you cleared your clutter for the move?

We had a second attempt to do the car boot sale yesterday but got there too late for a space so had to bring it all home again :rolleyes: so I've decided to give most away, a car load to charity shop and freecycle, a few bits to be sold on ebay.

Last night I put my first advert onto www.freecycle.org (my local one is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/guildfordfreecycle/) to get rid of a 5ft bed and pc stuff and within 5 mins 2 people had emailed me wanting to collect today! That is probably a better use of my time than standing in the rain at a car boot sale. :)

How else have you got rid of stuff before moving to NZ?

Andrew Cross Aug 21st 2006 8:10 am

Re: How have you cleared your clutter for the move?

Originally Posted by helinuk
We had a second attempt to do the car boot sale yesterday but got there too late for a space so had to bring it all home again :rolleyes: so I've decided to give most away, a car load to charity shop and freecycle, a few bits to be sold on ebay.

Last night I put my first advert onto www.freecycle.org (my local one is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/guildfordfreecycle/) to get rid of a 5ft bed and pc stuff and within 5 mins 2 people had emailed me wanting to collect today! That is probably a better use of my time than standing in the rain at a car boot sale. :)

Gave some away, threw some away in black bags and the rest went in the skip....was easier than standing on a cold November day haggling over a few pence for tat. To be honest, I should have done it long ago cause the clutter was just in the way. Its so much easier to start afresh with just the stuff you need and not surrounded with rubbish...

helinuk Aug 21st 2006 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Gave some away, threw some away in black bags and the rest went in the skip....was easier than standing on a cold November day haggling over a few pence for tat. To be honest, I should have done it long ago cause the clutter was just in the way. Its so much easier to start afresh with just the stuff you need and not surrounded with rubbish...

I agree with you! Trouble is my hubby is a horder.."it might come in handy one day " type of comment :rolleyes:
I dread to think how much more 'clutter' we'd have if we hadn't have moved 7 times already. :eek:
At least I get the chance to say ' if you don't love it throw it' and with the move from this house (to rented before the move to nz .)I can say ' anything you keep you have to pay storage on till we move to nz'- I've never seen a 'him upstairs' throw so much away :D

SarahB Aug 21st 2006 9:45 am

Clothes went to 2 charities and everything else went into a skip.

lapsed kiwi Aug 21st 2006 10:07 am

I went to a car boot sale - biggest waste of time ever. Full of people with more time than money or intelligence wanting to pay a few pence for absolute cr@p, so if you're trying to sell reasonably good stuff for a few quid, forget it. Also forget trying to sell clothes smaller than size 18, because these places seem to be exclusively patronised by pie-eaters. I think I just about recouped my entry fee, then stopped at the charity shop and recycling spot to get rid of the leftovers.
And for anyone who loves car boot sales and whom I might have offended - get a life!

helinuk Aug 21st 2006 10:19 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I went to a car boot sale - biggest waste of time ever. Full of people with more time than money or intelligence wanting to pay a few pence for absolute cr@p, so if you're trying to sell reasonably good stuff for a few quid, forget it. Also forget trying to sell clothes smaller than size 18, because these places seem to be exclusively patronised by pie-eaters. I think I just about recouped my entry fee, then stopped at the charity shop and recycling spot to get rid of the leftovers.
And for anyone who loves car boot sales and whom I might have offended - get a life!

Wow your bad car boot experience made you a tad cynical.

The stuff I put on freecycle has just been collected, oh so painless :D

Andrew Cross Aug 21st 2006 10:54 am

Wow your bad car boot experience made you a tad cynical.

The stuff I put on freecycle has just been collected, oh so painless :D

That just sounds like such a great idea. I wish I'd known about that before I left cause I did feel guilty about throwing out stuff that was in really good nick. We had towels, duvets and covers, tons of baby stuff - sheets, bumpers and blankets plus more clothes than you could shake a stick at. Problem was I just couldn't do the standing touting for customers at a carboot. It was just so much easier to bag it and bin it. If I knew anyone who could have had it I would happily have given it away to whoever could be bothered to collect it....

helinuk Aug 21st 2006 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
That just sounds like such a great idea. I wish I'd known about that before I left cause I did feel guilty about throwing out stuff that was in really good nick. We had towels, duvets and covers, tons of baby stuff - sheets, bumpers and blankets plus more clothes than you could shake a stick at. Problem was I just couldn't do the standing touting for customers at a carboot. It was just so much easier to bag it and bin it. If I knew anyone who could have had it I would happily have given it away to whoever could be bothered to collect it....

The person who took the pc stuff has just sent me a lovely email saying thanks too. :)
Just back from British red cross shop in village, they took everything.Whew nearly done. Only one more car load of stuff left in garage!

danny.f Aug 21st 2006 2:00 pm

The person who took the pc stuff has just sent me a lovely email saying thanks too. :)
Just back from British red cross shop in village, they took everything.Whew nearly done. Only one more car load of stuff left in garage!

Be careful with pc's,rumour has it it is full of handy info to the naughty and irresponsible.
I need a day when Donna is away so I can just bin everything. Seriously,we have some absolute worthless crap,me being one of them,won't fit in any bin though fortunately.

helinuk Aug 21st 2006 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f
Be careful with pc's,rumour has it it is full of handy info to the naughty and irresponsible.
I need a day when Donna is away so I can just bin everything. Seriously,we have some absolute worthless crap,me being one of them,won't fit in any bin though fortunately.

Thanks for the tip Danny :D it was only the monitors and key boards nothing anyone could use against me :D

danny.f Aug 21st 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks for the tip Danny :D it was only the monitors and key boards nothing anyone could use against me :D

I have actually turned from a "but I might need it one day" into a ruthless thrower outer of everything.
We had 2 skips, one car boot (sorry, love them), one trip to the dump after said car boot (when I tried to reclaim the stuff we hadn't sold) several trips to charity shops with clothes, books, toys and lots of on going trips to dump. We had a 4 ton and a 3 ton skip over 2 weeks and I must admit that I haven't missed one thing that we have thrown away. Moment of guilt when daughter found a plate she had painted for me in skip but (hopefully) got away with it by retrieving it and berating OH for throwing out treasured possession. Don't know where we kept 7 ton of s**t, mostly under the stairs I think. Keeping the cost of shipping in mind helps...

Donna

Winnie Aug 21st 2006 11:00 pm

We got rid of a load of stuff before we came out, but on hindsight we'd have brought a lot of it with us, especially the books! Books are really expensive over here, and even if you don't read them you can sell them for a tidy sum! If I had to do it all again I'd have brought everything, would have saved us a lot of money in the long run.

Am Loolah Aug 21st 2006 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Winnie
We got rid of a load of stuff before we came out, but on hindsight we'd have brought a lot of it with us, especially the books! Books are really expensive over here, and even if you don't read them you can sell them for a tidy sum! If I had to do it all again I'd have brought everything, would have saved us a lot of money in the long run.

God bless you Winnie - we just filled out online quote for shipping & I made huuby put in 8 tea chests for books as am mad for my books and have 4 kids, who I make read avidly!! I also have sold loads on amazon, to friends and at car boot sales. But they are a part of my identity - methinks hubby is illiterate and therefore has no understanding?!

karonious Aug 21st 2006 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Winnie

Between myself and the wonderful StevieB, we read shedloads and did own shedloads of books. In the last few months we have probably got rid of 300 books - I wish we had found this site a long time ago!

Winnie Aug 21st 2006 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by karonious
Between myself and the wonderful StevieB, we read shedloads and did own shedloads of books. In the last few months we have probably got rid of 300 books - I wish we had found this site a long time ago!

They occasionally have books sales where they get rid of old stock library books at a very cheap price. I found one last month but at the last minute and only had an hour to look, I probably needed at least 4! However I did buy a box full for $30. I'm on the lookout for more sales now!
The sad thing was, however, I made my OH get rid off a lot of his books as he had tons, mostly hard backs, and he's never forgiven me!