Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How has your life changed?

How has your life changed?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How has your life changed?

Originally Posted by joydot
avoiding auckland would have been better - it made for a lousy start as its a truly crap city on a function/ expense level (urban design consultant from copenhagen remarked last year that auck doesnt really qualify as a 'city' because it fails to deliver on pretty much all aspects of modern cities' LOL. another similar consultant this year said it is not city of sails but 'city of cars' as the only organised function was getting them around - however slowly). but it doesnt change the fact that what we are experiencing there is coming soon to a sleepy town surrounding you. there is no system in place to stop it and kiwis are so proud of this place there is no will to change.

remember how fast london changed with the opening of the tunnel and the realisation of what was elsewhere and what could be? well, huge engineering advancements aside, there is no tunnel coming to connect nz with the real world.

should also add that one of us is employed, one runs own biz so we experience both sides of that mig coin. and dont get me started on taxation... our first accountant - thriving corporate tax biz owner - warned us as he packed his bags that it was too hard to make money here however hard one works - we though he just needed a good holiday LOL
I don't remember London changing because the channel tunnel opened, it was rockin before 1994, it was only 15 years or so ago, I am sure the British realised there was life outside Britain before 1994....'the real world' is a subjective term and will differ from person to person. Personally I find New Zealand 'real enough', what I don't find particularly real is supping wine on a Portugese beach, nice idea but not that 'real' in my mind.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

whats the old cliche 'if i save just 1 life it will be worth it!'. there are many nicer, cheaper places in europe that are closer to uk - and its not that hard to learn a new language. happy times everyone...

Yes, having money doesn't make NZ any more appealing for some of us. We are financially very well off and are keeping our capital liquid in order to make our escape as easy as possible. I've heard it said on this forum that NZ is best for kids and retirees. I can't disagree more. Why would a place that is unappealing for so many (one of the highest emigration rates, period, there's a reason for the low population!) be good when you're old and tired? It will be VERY expensive to travel anywhere for one thing. As for being great for children - the birth of my daughter is definitely hastening our escape plans!

There are many nicer cheaper places to live, that are not isolated, and isolating. I think people really do exagerate about the scenery. Most of the country is hilly, yes, but has a ravaged by man feel to it. Less than 1/4 is native bush, and some of that is only just barely so. I simply don't find unattractively harvested pine plantations on bare hills spectacular. Alot of the coast is quite nice, however, as coasts often are.

There is a good reason for the brain drain, and presumably these clever types would have had the earning power to have great lifestyle if they stayed.

Too bad you're not in Portugal. Beyond everything else, the food is so much better, and fresher!!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Yes, having money doesn't make NZ any more appealing for some of us. We are financially very well off and are keeping our capital liquid in order to make our escape as easy as possible. I've heard it said on this forum that NZ is best for kids and retirees. I can't disagree more. Why would a place that is unappealing for so many (one of the highest emigration rates, period, there's a reason for the low population!) be good when you're old and tired? It will be VERY expensive to travel anywhere for one thing. As for being great for children - the birth of my daughter is definitely hastening our escape plans!

There are many nicer cheaper places to live, that are not isolated, and isolating. I think people really do exagerate about the scenery. Most of the country is hilly, yes, but has a ravaged by man feel to it. Less than 1/4 is native bush, and some of that is only just barely so. I simply don't find unattractively harvested pine plantations on bare hills spectacular. Alot of the coast is quite nice, however, as coasts often are.

There is a good reason for the brain drain, and presumably these clever types would have had the earning power to have great lifestyle if they stayed.

Too bad you're not in Portugal. Beyond everything else, the food is so much better, and fresher!!!

Yup, and I have heard on this site that another one thinks Portugal is utter shite..just someone's opinion, I am sure Portugal has many redeeming features..I loved it personally. At the end of the day NZ will either work for you or it won't. For you sadly not apparently. Just cos I left the UK it does not make the UK shit and so on. There are LOADS of great places to live all over the world..BUT you will have to compromise something along the way because last time I looked utopia had long gone!!!!!

PS Sth Auck. seems to get an awful press re crime etc..don't think I would be happy there either..did you ever consider anywhere else in NZ?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer

You are deffinetly in the wrong part then , where i live the scenery is just beautiful out my front window all i see is greenery out my back window i see mount taranaki which let me tell you is a sight to wake up to. I couldn't live in Aukland either to built up for me. As for the isolation part we dont feel isolated what so ever. We have what we want right here , why would i want to be close to the UK when we took so long to get away from there?

At the end of the day everyone of us decided to move here new zealand didnt come and grab us and make us come over,its not NZ fault if anyone of us unhappy here , I for one dont intend to ever leave here

Life is what we make it , and we only ever going to get out of life what we put in to it
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

...we find nz'ers socially defunct, find too many pretentious expats living as tho they were kings back in uk add to resentment issue kiwi to mig. socially its been like going back to high school .

... the most successful company outside utilities is the mongrel mob - huge revenue and 65,000 employees.

i often think that what many people refer to as a 'good life' is sheer escapism... and new zealand is perfect that way because even the pm is allowed to consistently break the law -

NO ONE is responsible for anything and there is no effective legal system to ensure they do. when we leave i am going to publish a book on the experience - i wouldnt dare here as i'd have to go under police guard. even politicians who crtisize this place end up under armed guard. life in the uk is crap and the weather/ migration/ poor leadership plays a huge role in that (the latter 2 can be fixed), but lets not pretend nz is better. its sunnier. well, parts.

there are many nicer, cheaper places in europe that are closer to uk - and its not that hard to learn a new language. happy times everyone...
Couldnt agree more
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

why is working on a beach in portugal any less realistic than working in nz?

am going to guess most people here have a pay cheque cushion allowing them to feel comfortable when they should not. we are at the coal face. one of us is employed with too much responsibility at the top of his profession in a successful multinational, the other employer. having lived and worked in 6 other countries in our exp nz is a mess in pretty much every way and cannot see anything but abject poverty in its future. the irony is that as the nz economy has been in the ditch so long we have as of yet felt v little of the lifestyle reductions elsewhere. for 10+ years nz has benefitted from off-shore cash resources leading the economy to look rosier than it is and that supply is also tailing off. things will get worse and there is no sign of anything dramatic enough to pull things back up, like a tunnel or tsunami of foreign money. as earlier, thanks to the internet there are many beautiful places to live and work much closer to the real world. i dont have any problem with people feeling nz is the best possible place to be - its always nice to know people that are happy here - but in far to many cases the info avail is outright propaganda and legally iffy. people are throwing in established lives for one that simply does not deliver what it promises.

incidently, for 3 years i have wondered at the fact nz was first to grant womens rights and then finally it hit me - at that time nz was depserate to have more women come and again, beaut clever ta ta, the best possible encouragment. forget the fact that even to now conditions for women and children in nz are shite. nz, as with 100% pure, is on a legal knife point when it presents the 'truth'. just because some chatter on here is more cheerful than mine does not make it accurate.

i didnt read back -
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Some interesting discussions going on. Can I put in a good word for Auckland. Perhaps many of those who criticise Auckland as being too busy have never bothered to live there. When I look out my window I too have lovely green scenery, trees and leafy streets around. In fact, many areas in Auckland are quite beautiful, pleasant places to live.

And, I'd rather live in places like these that some of the scrappy, run-down one-horse towns I've seen in the country! I agree about Auckland lacking many of the amenities in other cities of the world, but if you consider it rather as many different suburbs then you can pick the ones you find attractive.

I would also disagree with the poster who says that it is easy to live in Europe. It's become incredibly expensive in most parts of Europe these days, and it is not so easy to live in a country where the language is not English. You may find that you are not so accepted and don't feel as much at home as you would in say, NZ or Oz. That is the great attraction I feel, with places like NZ and Oz. They are similar in culture to the UK.

I agree that it is difficult to earn as much as you can oversees, but there are many Kiwis here who appear to be earning a great deal. I also take the point that the scenery is sometimes over-sold. There are many beautuful places in the UK and many who come here might not have visited those places. I also agree that the coast around NZ can have the most attractive scenery as can the velvet-like green hills.

As to the point about life changing - I think our life changes everywhere we go and every day we live.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Some interesting discussions going on. Can I put in a good word for Auckland. Perhaps many of those who criticise Auckland as being too busy have never bothered to live there. When I look out my window I too have lovely green scenery, trees and leafy streets around. In fact, many areas in Auckland are quite beautiful, pleasant places to live.

And, I'd rather live in places like these that some of the scrappy, run-down one-horse towns I've seen in the country! I agree about Auckland lacking many of the amenities in other cities of the world, but if you consider it rather as many different suburbs then you can pick the ones you find attractive.

I would also disagree with the poster who says that it is easy to live in Europe. It's become incredibly expensive in most parts of Europe these days, and it is not so easy to live in a country where the language is not English. You may find that you are not so accepted and don't feel as much at home as you would in say, NZ or Oz. That is the great attraction I feel, with places like NZ and Oz. They are similar in culture to the UK.

I agree that it is difficult to earn as much as you can oversees, but there are many Kiwis here who appear to be earning a great deal. I also take the point that the scenery is sometimes over-sold. There are many beautuful places in the UK and many who come here might not have visited those places. I also agree that the coast around NZ can have the most attractive scenery as can the velvet-like green hills.

As to the point about life changing - I think our life changes everywhere we go and every day we live.
Got to agree coming from scotland i know there is beautiful scenery in the UK, in the north that is as the rest is really just built up with odd bits of green here and there. I have only been in NP and BOP but while driving to BOP i could honestly have been anywhere in the North of Scotland was simply stunning.

What puts me off Aukland is that its to built up for me , i lived just outside Glasgow and i didnt even drive there , too busy for me.Not saying its not a lovely place cos im sure it is ,just to big for me. im going to stick with outofthe way NP which i love.

caz
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

even our london life was better. we occasionally reminisce but stop because its too pathetic. i wouldnt move back to the uk - i mean why the ***** would you?- but hell, there are a lot of rose coloured lenses on this forum. its actually beginning to worry me - inner mother hen is taking over. i am going to be brutal - we earn in excess of $300,000 year, own 5 properties in nice areas (1 home, 1 iconic commercial building, 3 design project) are resented for our luck (20 yrs hard work), find nz'ers socially defunct, find too many pretentious expats living as tho they were kings back in uk add to resentment issue kiwi to mig. socially its been like going back to high school - o the games people play. as professionals we find it an uphill battle to carry out our work with competence and care, and see no future here that isnt grinding poverty. the most successful company outside utilities is the mongrel mob - huge revenue and 65,000 employees. i often think that what many people refer to as a 'good life' is sheer escapism... and new zealand is perfect that way because even the pm is allowed to consistently break the law - NO ONE is responsible for anything and there is no effective legal system to ensure they do. when we leave i am going to publish a book on the experience - i wouldnt dare here as i'd have to go under police guard. even politicians who crtisize this place end up under armed guard. life in the uk is crap and the weather/ migration/ poor leadership plays a huge role in that (the latter 2 can be fixed), but lets not pretend nz is better. its sunnier. well, parts. am quitting this forum because i already spend too much of the day shoveling bullshit and judging by the tone am sure my words will go unappreciated LOL. whats the old cliche 'if i save just 1 life it will be worth it!'. there are many nicer, cheaper places in europe that are closer to uk - and its not that hard to learn a new language. happy times everyone...
Absolutely PERFECTLY put. You have put into exact words my entire sentiments....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

am quitting this forum because i already spend too much of the day shoveling bullshit and judging by the tone am sure my words will go unappreciated QUOTE]

You have only done 17 posts!! You give up easy!!!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:07 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
am quitting this forum because i already spend too much of the day shoveling bullshit and judging by the tone am sure my words will go unappreciated QUOTE]

You have only done 17 posts!! You give up easy!!!
(snip)

Last edited by Am Loolah; Mar 1st 2009 at 3:26 am. Reason: As per previous warning
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How has your life changed?

Well if you are young and/or seeking oppertunity New Zealand isn't really going to be your cup of tea.

As far as I can see the expats who seem happiest here are:
1. People bringing up young families.
2. People looking to retire to the quiet life.

I've been very happy to live here, New Zealand has been good to me and in many ways I'll always have a place here .

Like many young people however I think the allure of jobs that are properly paid in other parts of the world will entice me into moving again. I would put forward that in order to live happily in New Zealand one should first acquire capital. In many regards, economically at least, Richard Prebble was righ in saying that New Zealand was the Poland of the south Pacific.

I've never integrated well into the local community. Kiwi people are quite shy (except when being loud mouthed drunks, they don't seem to be able to handle drinking well ) but with the number of expats as long as you live around urban centers you should be fine. I'm lucky in that I'm not perticularly needy when it comes to seeking validation from others, the few close friends I have tend to share interests with me. Kiwis are perhaps a little backwards when it comes to socialising (or perhaps us plucky Brits are very forward? ), women here are always a little taken back by men who are polite or dare to perform the somewhat rare act of asking for a date .

In many regards, in my view at least, New Zealands culture is very much bias towards displaying masculine characteristics and behavior. They have retained a pioneer mentality, still seeing themselves as a long way from the rest of the world and hence needing to be self sufficient in many regards. In sports and other areas of society it also becomes apparent that they are very competative (and very bad losers ). Even the native Maori have a warrior culture so perhaps it's not too suprising that, as yet, many of the Kiwi people lack that subtle charm and quick wit people from other parts of the world may enjoy.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How has your life changed?

Originally Posted by love30stm
I do so agree with everything you say
How many of us are there near Palmerston North? We should arrange to go for a few drinks and a chat one week night .

I notice Bar Mode are running a quiz nights now .
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

UAEKiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smudge1
Absolutely PERFECTLY put. You have put into exact words my entire sentiments....
I never understood the term 'whinging pom' until I moved from the UK. Having now lived in NZ and the UAE and come across plenty of UK expats, it is not hard to see where the phrase comes from.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
How many of us are there near Palmerston North? We should arrange to go for a few drinks and a chat one week night .

I notice Bar Mode are running a quiz nights now .

I think there are only a handful of us..after all few actively seek out to live in Palmy!! We came here because Kate's job was here. It has been a stroke of great luck as we have carved a wonderful life in a great home and neighbourhood and have a busy social life here with kiwis and other nationals, hardly any english at all. Let me know if you arrange ought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.