Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how has life improved for children

how has life improved for children

Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all
Default how has life improved for children

A lot of people have said how great it is for kids emigrating and i believe we're doing the right thing for our monsters but i just wanted to know how parents who have already made the move feel that their kids have benefited and what ways nz is better for children than the uk.
thanks stas.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how has life improved for children

they arent children for ever.
what have they got to look forward to in the uk?
living with mum and dad until they are 37 as they cant affprd a 2ook mortgage for a house?
kids are kids and they adapt much better than adults.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of
Smile Re: how has life improved for children

Hi Stacia. Our two were 15 (daughter) and 12 (son) when we moved out here just over 12 months ago. We feel like we have our 'children' back, instead of little adults. They have so much more freedom here. My daughter would never have been allowed to go into the city back in Britain with her friends. Here I have no problem with her visiting Auckland on shopping trips with her boyfriend. My son is out with his friends a lot more here, riding his bike around the local reserves. I feel it is a much safer environment for them without us having to watch over them all the time, so much better for their independence. They have become less materialistic - not bothered about the latest mobile phone, branded sports gear, having what 'everyone else' has got. Although they were not looking forward to wearing the 'weird' school uniforms here they soon learnt that everyone in school is wearing exactly the same, its not the fashion parade that it has become in the UK. We spend time together at weekends, at the beach, on our bikes, walking and even taking ice skating lessons together - how 'uncool' would that thave been in the UK? Both our kids love it here, though it was a worry for us bringing them over at the ages they were. They have settled so well, and so quickly, love school and have made lots of friends. IMO this is a wonderful place to bring up your children, wish we had done it sooner! Good luck with the move. Carol

Last edited by CCGM.IN.NZ; Nov 12th 2007 at 11:10 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

No peer pressure to the extent that it is in the UK - no one cares if they've got the right phone or the right shoes - cripes, some kids don't even wear shoes in the summer.

No desperate hurry for them to grow up - can still be children until in their teens.

You can let them out the front door and not fret yourself stupid that they're going to be yanked off the street - that's not to say this doesn't ever happen in NZ because a young Yorkshire girl was approached on the Whangaparoa Peninsular earlier this year - it's just less likely to happen.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:31 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto to all of the above replies. My kids were 11 and 12 when we came out and they love it. Their school is excellent, although we do pay a small annual fee for it, but then again every school ask for a donation anyway. They made friends from day 1 and by the end of the week were invited out on sleepovers.

The kids are encouraged in schools, I don't mean academically, although that to, I mean they are treated with respect, their opinions are validated and they are appreciated. The teachers don't use ridicule or put downs. Teacher and peers alike actively encourage and seek to promote the best in each other and all our valued as individuals. And the children are trusted to be in the school buildings at breaks and lunch time. They have access to kettles in their classroom to make hot drinks and (yuk) pot noodles. They each have their own website (monitored) and a chilling area in the library. And in return for all this freedom and trust, the children act responsibly and respectfully.

Its like a breath of fresh air!

Its not quite Little House on the Prairie! The girls still fall out and make up on a regular basis and the boys play footie or tag totally oblivious to any of the girls fluttering eyelashes!!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Hi All

I agree with most of the comments made above, I like the fact that the local football club (soccer) accomodates all of the kids and does not have just one team for the the whole area.

I like the lack of chavness, the lack of materialism. Which has lead to my kids,
11 and 12 realising how lucky they are to own the things they own and are able to live in a nice house in a good area unlike, unfortunatley some of their mates.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:01 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but I like that it doesn't seem to matter to the children what they have or don't have. No-one's made to feel an outcast if their clothes aren't the latest trend/fashion etc., or what make trainers they wear, etc and the kids don't judge each other by where they live, what they have - no one-up-manship. They just wanna play out and be kids and have fun. Great
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
No peer pressure to the extent that it is in the UK - no one cares if they've got the right phone or the right shoes - cripes, some kids don't even wear shoes in the summer

No desperate hurry for them to grow up - can still be children until in their teens.
Peer pressure exists in the North Shore (Auckland), we had experience of that last year!! Don't see it where we are now though
There is no hurry to grow up, until they get to 15 & want a car!!! certainly 1 thing that must change!!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

I can't say that I have seen any one upmanship, from within the kids circle of friends, they are all from different backgrounds, cultural and socioeconomic groups and they just get out and play, refreshing, a bit like my own childhood when I was their age. Not attainable now in some countries
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

The freedom without worry for my boys when we went to Alexander Park for Guy Fawkes they wandered off to see whats was about.
Being more independant and thinking for themselves my 10 year old went off selling his fudge by himself as a fundraiser for his baseball club.
Kids being kids still.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:14 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Peer pressure exists in the North Shore (Auckland), ... until they get to 15 & want a car!!! certainly 1 thing that must change!!
DEFINITELY!! One of my schoolmates (13 years ago) was driving his mothers car to school at the end of the 4th Form (year 11?)! His birthday was in June of our 4th form year but driving a V6 engine car! Ridiculous. In saying that, the kid was one of the responsible ones but he was still only 14! I got my learners permit at 16 and think that that was early enough. I have no problem with the starting period of a licence to be at 16yrs. But it should at least take a couple of years to get (which to be fair, it does).
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:56 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Peer pressure exists in the North Shore (Auckland), we had experience of that last year!! Don't see it where we are now though
There is no hurry to grow up, until they get to 15 & want a car!!! certainly 1 thing that must change!!
I found that too - my son turned into a kid who wasn't bothered by clothes to wanting branded skate wear and a "must have" Element board almost overnight. Guess it's because the Shore is relatively affluent to some other areas. One of his mates even has his own Trademe businesses.

Daft thing is he leaves the Etnies in the car and is quite happy to trott around town barefoot
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:46 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

A very very good education for a nominal fee.

Able to do lots of stuff (dancing, music, sports, etc) without it being a huge chore for their taxi drivers....
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
A very very good education for a nominal fee.

Able to do lots of stuff (dancing, music, sports, etc) without it being a huge chore for their taxi drivers....
Education is good for youngsters but some schools seem to be heavy on the homework - we know a few teachers well enough for them to complain to us about how much work some of the schools expect the years 1 and 2 to do - also aware that some other schools have banned the stuff.........a bit of a controversy all over the world at the mo on that point.
Our kids love the outdoor life, freedom, lack of peer pressure to buy trainers, etc and the sport - much better than in UK.
Plus kids are treated as young people with a viewpoint and engaged more by adults and teachers -
problem is what do they do when they finish in Secondary? The Unis are OK for degree fodder but they just don't cut it when compared to UK, US, Aus, etc.........wouldn't get the tertiary education that we got in NZ, - in Aus maybe........and before anyone asks that's a long way away for our 5 yr old!!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

Before we left the UK last year, about 80% of my sons friends were drinking on the streets. Kieran , 15, hung around with the 20% that did not drink. Since leaving the UK, the 20% crumbled under peer pressure and are now hanging around on street corners drinking and smoking.

Kieran spends all his time playing sports out here, he does surf life save, football, cricket, tennis and has got himself a little job. He loves his school, he says the teachers 'have more respect for the pupils' and the school is like one big family and he is treat like a gentleman. He feels no pressure about buying the latest trainers or the latest most expensive phone (like he did in the UK). He appreciates the small things in life now, he never did when he was in the UK .. perhaps I was to blame for spoiling him so that he would not be bullied. Certainly don't feel like that here, its not materialistic at all. Moving here is the best thing we could have ever done for him, like my mum said, New Zealand was made for Kieran. I thought he would settle when we moved here, but he has exceeded our expections.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.