How hard is it??

Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:18 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default How hard is it??

Hi all, just got our lovely (but ancient) dishwasher back from Uncle Maeresk and wondering if anyone knows how to find out how hard the water is hereabouts (we are on town supply - heavily chlorinated).....in Uk just call the water company and they tell ya...in NZ???
Cant find any dishwasher salt in local New World ... .is that because everyone is on tanked supply? or am I just dumb??:curse:
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How hard is it??

You don't need dish washer salt here. So its one less thing to buy. New dishwashers still have the compartment thingys unless they are made specifically for the NZ market. But we don't need it.

Also check out your kettle ...they have never heard of scale! It just doesn't exsist!!!

I guess its all about no limescale in the water.???
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lardyl
Hi all, just got our lovely (but ancient) dishwasher back from Uncle Maeresk and wondering if anyone knows how to find out how hard the water is hereabouts (we are on town supply - heavily chlorinated).....in Uk just call the water company and they tell ya...in NZ???
Cant find any dishwasher salt in local New World ... .is that because everyone is on tanked supply? or am I just dumb??:curse:
We had same question. Finally called Miele in Wellington and they informed us that as a general dishwashers here do not need salt added which is why you can't buy it. Apparently the only town that has water hard enough to require salt added is Wanganui.

By the way been operating our dishwasher without salt now for coming up 6 years and had no problems so it must be ok.

Cheers
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:52 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It make sense - hard water comes from water seeping through limestone, which is formed from mineral deposits on the sea bed.

NZ is mostly formed from volcanic rock, though presumably where the tectonic plates meet and push up the sea bed you must get limestone?

Maybe the lava/magma/whatever from all of the volcanoes eats it or something.

I should ask Melanie really as she has a geography/geology type degree.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that folks....reaches for chemistry textbook.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:11 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I got all excited when I read your thread title!!!!!!

Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=kev&sarah;4590242]I got all excited when I read your thread title!!!!!!

QUOTE]

You make me laugh . Thanks for helping to cheer me up.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:55 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I got all excited when I read your thread title!!!!!!

It caught my eye as well!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:03 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
It make sense - hard water comes from water seeping through limestone, which is formed from mineral deposits on the sea bed.

NZ is mostly formed from volcanic rock, though presumably where the tectonic plates meet and push up the sea bed you must get limestone?

Maybe the lava/magma/whatever from all of the volcanoes eats it or something.

I should ask Melanie really as she has a geography/geology type degree.
I was discussing this with Melanie on the way to work and she pointed out that there are huge limestone caves at Waitomo, and some in Kaikoura. So there must be hard water areas in NZ.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
haha ..... can't imagine why I used those words.....
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

mmm but these outlaying areas, maybe the majority of the water they use is from run off tanks? So they are getting it from the sky rather than the ground.
It was a bit of a culture shock when I first realised that people were using untreated water run off as the only water supply for the house!!! as they don't have mains supply?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:06 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jueinnz
mmm but these outlaying areas, maybe the majority of the water they use is from run off tanks? So they are getting it from the sky rather than the ground.
It was a bit of a culture shock when I first realised that people were using untreated water run off as the only water supply for the house!!! as they don't have mains supply?
Welcome to NZ ,

Originally Posted by DollyLlama

Are you C**K eyed now

All we need now is Poppets to turn up looking for something to chew over
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:45 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by cherry
....All we need now is Poppets to turn up looking for something to chew over
I'm putting my joystick away if that's gonna happen!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Talking of collecting water.... the other day when it rained for almost 24 hours non-stop one of our tanks was totally empty.... we know coz we'd had it professionally cleaned.... now its almost full.... after just one day! Thats a lot of rain... its a huge tank. I could hardly believe it when OH told me how much was in there.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by SarahB
Talking of collecting water.... the other day when it rained for almost 24 hours non-stop one of our tanks was totally empty.... we know coz we'd had it professionally cleaned.... now its almost full.... after just one day! Thats a lot of rain... its a huge tank. I could hardly believe it when OH told me how much was in there.
I can vouch for that as I was out collecting the kids from a flooded care-giver's house whilst the heavens continued to open - and to think just a week before we were about to run dry with one or two days worth in the tank.