British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How hard is it?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-hard-438893/)

lardyl Mar 31st 2007 12:18 pm

How hard is it??

Hi all, just got our lovely (but ancient) dishwasher back from Uncle Maeresk and wondering if anyone knows how to find out how hard the water is hereabouts (we are on town supply - heavily chlorinated).....in Uk just call the water company and they tell ya...in NZ???
Cant find any dishwasher salt in local New World ... .is that because everyone is on tanked supply? or am I just dumb??:curse:

jueinnz Mar 31st 2007 8:39 pm

Re: How hard is it??

You don't need dish washer salt here. So its one less thing to buy. New dishwashers still have the compartment thingys unless they are made specifically for the NZ market. But we don't need it.

Also check out your kettle ...they have never heard of scale! It just doesn't exsist!!!

I guess its all about no limescale in the water.???

Herm Mar 31st 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 4585829)
Hi all, just got our lovely (but ancient) dishwasher back from Uncle Maeresk and wondering if anyone knows how to find out how hard the water is hereabouts (we are on town supply - heavily chlorinated).....in Uk just call the water company and they tell ya...in NZ???
Cant find any dishwasher salt in local New World ... .is that because everyone is on tanked supply? or am I just dumb??:curse:

We had same question. Finally called Miele in Wellington and they informed us that as a general dishwashers here do not need salt added which is why you can't buy it. Apparently the only town that has water hard enough to require salt added is Wanganui.

By the way been operating our dishwasher without salt now for coming up 6 years and had no problems so it must be ok.

Cheers

RobClubley Apr 1st 2007 4:52 am

It make sense - hard water comes from water seeping through limestone, which is formed from mineral deposits on the sea bed.

NZ is mostly formed from volcanic rock, though presumably where the tectonic plates meet and push up the sea bed you must get limestone?

Maybe the lava/magma/whatever from all of the volcanoes eats it or something.

I should ask Melanie really as she has a geography/geology type degree.

lardyl Apr 1st 2007 8:44 am

Thanks for that folks....reaches for chemistry textbook. :rofl:

P2L Apr 1st 2007 10:11 pm

I got all excited when I read your thread title!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :ohmy: :ohmy: :o

:rofl:

AnnieNell Apr 1st 2007 10:40 pm

[QUOTE=kev&sarah;4590242]I got all excited when I read your thread title!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :ohmy: :ohmy: :o

QUOTE]

You make me laugh:rofl: . Thanks for helping to cheer me up.

DollyLlama Apr 1st 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4590242)
I got all excited when I read your thread title!!!!!!

:rofl:

It caught my eye as well! :o :rofl:

RobClubley Apr 1st 2007 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 4587913)
It make sense - hard water comes from water seeping through limestone, which is formed from mineral deposits on the sea bed.

NZ is mostly formed from volcanic rock, though presumably where the tectonic plates meet and push up the sea bed you must get limestone?

Maybe the lava/magma/whatever from all of the volcanoes eats it or something.

I should ask Melanie really as she has a geography/geology type degree.

I was discussing this with Melanie on the way to work and she pointed out that there are huge limestone caves at Waitomo, and some in Kaikoura. So there must be hard water areas in NZ.

lardyl Apr 2nd 2007 12:08 am

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 4590346)
It caught my eye as well! :o :rofl:

haha ..... can't imagine why I used those words.....;)

jueinnz Apr 2nd 2007 5:56 am

mmm but these outlaying areas, maybe the majority of the water they use is from run off tanks? So they are getting it from the sky rather than the ground.
It was a bit of a culture shock when I first realised that people were using untreated water run off as the only water supply for the house!!! as they don't have mains supply?

cherry Apr 2nd 2007 7:06 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4591005)
mmm but these outlaying areas, maybe the majority of the water they use is from run off tanks? So they are getting it from the sky rather than the ground.
It was a bit of a culture shock when I first realised that people were using untreated water run off as the only water supply for the house!!! as they don't have mains supply?

Welcome to NZ ,:thumbup:

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
It caught my eye as well!

Are you C**K eyed now:rofl:

All we need now is Poppets to turn up looking for something to chew over:p

lardyl Apr 2nd 2007 10:45 am

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 4591129)
....All we need now is Poppets to turn up looking for something to chew over:p

I'm putting my joystick away if that's gonna happen!!!:ohmy:

SarahB Apr 2nd 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 4591005)

Talking of collecting water.... the other day when it rained for almost 24 hours non-stop one of our tanks was totally empty.... we know coz we'd had it professionally cleaned.... now its almost full.... after just one day! Thats a lot of rain... its a huge tank. I could hardly believe it when OH told me how much was in there. :ohmy:

lardyl Apr 2nd 2007 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 4591810)
Talking of collecting water.... the other day when it rained for almost 24 hours non-stop one of our tanks was totally empty.... we know coz we'd had it professionally cleaned.... now its almost full.... after just one day! Thats a lot of rain... its a huge tank. I could hardly believe it when OH told me how much was in there. :ohmy:

I can vouch for that as I was out collecting the kids from a flooded care-giver's house whilst the heavens continued to open - and to think just a week before we were about to run dry with one or two days worth in the tank. :D