British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How fantastic is New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-fantastic-new-zealand-398073/)

nickcharliepark Sep 22nd 2006 10:35 pm

How fantastic is New Zealand

Hiya

Well we are finally online from our own computer, in our own rental, looking out at (what feels like my own) bit of beachand pacific ocean.

Feel settled now, first couple of weeks weren't as manic as we thought they would be. Only downer has been my Grandad dying this week. It brings it home how far away we are.

Tauranga is great, though we have the reality of work still to come! we have called in and met a few people at work but dont start for another week. We are still enjoying the time off.

The coffee is great (and the muffins, think I have put on half a stone already) especially at the foot of the Mount.

Well, bye for now, going to read the paper on my balcony overlooking the sea......

Nick

Andrew Cross Sep 22nd 2006 10:46 pm

Re: How fantastic is New Zealand

Hi Nick, so glad you arrived safely and are happy with Nz. Good luck with the job and long may it continue.... :D

Sue

chelsey Sep 22nd 2006 10:49 pm

Hi,

Glad to hear you are settling in well - how long have you been here?

Know what you mean about putting on weight! All this great food is far too tempting!

My husband and I have been over here for nearly 4 months down in Queenstown but are planning to move up to Tauranga in December and settle.
Can I ask you how are you finding Tauranga? Did you find it easy to find your rental accomodation up there and can you suggest any agencies please! I've got work in Bethlehem so we're looking around there (I don't know the areas at all!) - are there any to avoid?

Many thanks :)

poppets Sep 23rd 2006 12:04 am

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hiya

Well we are finally online from our own computer, in our own rental, looking out at (what feels like my own) bit of beachand pacific ocean.

Feel settled now, first couple of weeks weren't as manic as we thought they would be. Only downer has been my Grandad dying this week. It brings it home how far away we are.

Tauranga is great, though we have the reality of work still to come! we have called in and met a few people at work but dont start for another week. We are still enjoying the time off.

The coffee is great (and the muffins, think I have put on half a stone already) especially at the foot of the Mount.

Well, bye for now, going to read the paper on my balcony overlooking the sea......

Nick

sorry to hear about your grandad, but glad you're enjoying NZ :beer:

helinuk Sep 23rd 2006 10:09 pm

Good to hear you are settling down.
Sorry to hear of your grandad.

Tauranga is a place several of us are aiming to move to next year so we'd love to hear more about it.
Please tell us about the rental market, the transport/buses/buying a car there? How busy are the roads?
Have the locals been friendly?
What is the weather like now?
Social life? Cinemas, theatre, bars, restaurants, activities?
I know it's your view of only a few weeks but we look forward /want to hear about life in NZ. Good and bad.
Helen

jueinnz Sep 24th 2006 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk
Good to hear you are settling down.
Sorry to hear of your grandad.

Tauranga is a place several of us are aiming to move to next year so we'd love to hear more about it.
Please tell us about the rental market, the transport/buses/buying a car there? How busy are the roads?
Have the locals been friendly?
What is the weather like now?
Social life? Cinemas, theatre, bars, restaurants, activities?
I know it's your view of only a few weeks but we look forward /want to hear about life in NZ. Good and bad.
Helen

Wow!!! Everyone seems to be going to Tauranga, I have to admit, that if I was to do it again that would be a first choice for me, we chose Auckland due to family being here, but maybe....we were wrong...maybe I will have a look at house prices, are wages less?

Genesis Sep 25th 2006 6:15 am

Palmerston North is cool too....okay we don't have the beach but we have cheaper houses and soooooooooooo much space. We have 25 reserves and parks...3 swimming pools..one of them a huge, outdoor and heated pool, 3 golf clubs, 70 restaurants, 50 cafes, 2 bowling alleys, 3 theatres, an art gallery, a rugby museum, a science centre a regular museum, go karting white water rafting, jet boating, gorge walking, crazy golf, a huge racetrack for motor heads, the ranges, fantastic schools, universitiy campuses and colleges, more shops than you can eat and about 10 cinemas. We are just 35 mins to the beach and I am told our house would be 3 times the price in a similarly nice part of Auckland. We have limited crime..a traffic jam constitutes 3 vehicles and everywhere in town is a maximum of 7 mins from home!! Those who say Palmy is dull have either been here too long or don't live here. Been here 18 months and we adore it. They call it 'young heart easy living' and it is soooooooo stress free here!!!! We are just 2hrs to Welly, and add another 30 mins and you are either in Hawkes bay, Mt Ruapehu or ay a push Taupo. :D

Diggles Sep 25th 2006 9:30 am

Hi there - well we moved here just over a year ago and still get a buzz waking up to our beautiful view, the Tui's singing in the garden, the long sunny days - great food and wine ........ could go on and on!! Even don't mind the torrential rain we have sometimes!

You definitely made a good choice coming to Tauranga - we love it - even working isn't too bad either.

Have fun and enjoy your time off before getting back to work!
:)

helinuk Sep 25th 2006 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
Palmerston North is cool too....okay we don't have the beach but we have cheaper houses and soooooooooooo much space. We have 25 reserves and parks...3 swimming pools..one of them a huge, outdoor and heated pool, 3 golf clubs, 70 restaurants, 50 cafes, 2 bowling alleys, 3 theatres, an art gallery, a rugby museum, a science centre a regular museum, go karting white water rafting, jet boating, gorge walking, crazy golf, a huge racetrack for motor heads, the ranges, fantastic schools, universitiy campuses and colleges, more shops than you can eat and about 10 cinemas. We are just 35 mins to the beach and I am told our house would be 3 times the price in a similarly nice part of Auckland. We have limited crime..a traffic jam constitutes 3 vehicles and everywhere in town is a maximum of 7 mins from home!! Those who say Palmy is dull have either been here too long or don't live here. Been here 18 months and we adore it. They call it 'young heart easy living' and it is soooooooo stress free here!!!! We are just 2hrs to Welly, and add another 30 mins and you are either in Hawkes bay, Mt Ruapehu or ay a push Taupo. :D

Great post.
We met a couple from Marten recently (farmers) who talked a lot about Parmy North. My son seemed to enjoy visiting his Gap yr friends there too.
We should have info sections on this forum i.e,work, housing, info on towns/cities, jobs, then we could post info and be easily found by newbies.
If Sue admin. is reading this, would that be poss. to create a few extra sections or "read me" sections?

Jude J Sep 26th 2006 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Genesis

wow, that sounds like a great place to live. Loads going on, plenty for kids and adults.

Nickcharliepark; so pleased to hear you are settling in and loving it :) Know what you mean about the muffins, I hadn't had one before moving here but now I have one with my morning coffee. You will have to walk up the mount a few times a week to keep the weight down!

SarahB Sep 26th 2006 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Jude J
wow, that sounds like a great place to live. Loads going on, plenty for kids and adults.

Nickcharliepark; so pleased to hear you are settling in and loving it :) Know what you mean about the muffins, I hadn't had one before moving here but now I have one with my morning coffee. You will have to walk up the mount a few times a week to keep the weight down!

Have you tried the large chocolate muffins from Woolworths?? Talk about nice!!! :D :D

Jude J Sep 26th 2006 1:39 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Have you tried the large chocolate muffins from Woolworths?? Talk about nice!!! :D :D

No, not keen on chocolate, but the cafe near my work does a lovely blueberry and cream cheese one that I just cant resist. I have decided to give them up from about the middle of October as I want to loose my bulges for the summer hols :o

SarahB Sep 26th 2006 1:41 am

No, not keen on chocolate, but the cafe near my work does a lovely blueberry and cream cheese one that I just cant resist. I have decided to give them up from about the middle of October as I want to loose my bulges for the summer hols :o

Oh, one of the mothers makes them for PlayGroup.... not sure which one. I prefer chocolate though.... I'll always choose chocolate over anything else. Just had 2 pieces of choc cake that I made yesterday.

Just saw one of the cats asleep under the washing on the balcony in the sun and thought..... jeez they have an easy life.... they literally do nothing all day long.... what a life!!

Jude J Sep 26th 2006 1:59 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Oh, one of the mothers makes them for PlayGroup.... not sure which one. I prefer chocolate though.... I'll always choose chocolate over anything else. Just had 2 pieces of choc cake that I made yesterday.

Just saw one of the cats asleep under the washing on the balcony in the sun and thought..... jeez they have an easy life.... they literally do nothing all day long.... what a life!!

Yeah but then they have to lick themselves clean :scared: :D

How is your back by the way?

SarahB Sep 26th 2006 2:03 am

Yeah but then they have to lick themselves clean :scared: :D

How is your back by the way?

lol.... it just struck me that they are lazy sods and do nothing day after day!!

Its great... I'm fine at the moment thanks.... my midwife has referred me for physio and they actually just rung and Ive given the appointment to somebody else who is in pain, coz I'm not... Ive taken down their number in case I have to ring them if it gets bad again.