Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How early did you take your kids out of school

How early did you take your kids out of school

Old Feb 5th 2017, 10:33 pm
  #16  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,993
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

oh my would never of entered my head that I would send them first even with family here, do they actually know this grandparent, spent time with them?

My kids would probably of just got on with it but I would not of been able to function I don't think.

But only you really know how your children would cope. Also sending them early may have extra costs for schooling? is your partner a NZ Citizen or at least have PR? if not the children would need to pay international students fees I would assume ??
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2017, 10:42 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
inkedneonurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 515
inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
oh my would never of entered my head that I would send them first even with family here, do they actually know this grandparent, spent time with them?

My kids would probably of just got on with it but I would not of been able to function I don't think.

But only you really know how your children would cope. Also sending them early may have extra costs for schooling? is your partner a NZ Citizen or at least have PR? if not the children would need to pay international students fees I would assume ??
An interesting discussion so far...let me add some context my wife is a Brit and will be on my pr visa as well as the kids. They see their grandma every year and worship the ground she walks on. We are an ex army family (I used to be a squaddie) so moving is not something they aren't used to
inkedneonurse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:48 am
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
Kotare's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Pakaraka
Posts: 713
Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse View Post
An interesting discussion so far...let me add some context my wife is a Brit and will be on my pr visa as well as the kids. They see their grandma every year and worship the ground she walks on. We are an ex army family (I used to be a squaddie) so moving is not something they aren't used to
Recognise the mindset. My kids happily travelled unaccompanied back and forth from UK boarding school long haul eg Cyprus, Hong Kong and Australia from the age of 8. The airlines look after them well and I haven't noticed any serious psychological impairment :-).
Kotare is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:57 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
inkedneonurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 515
inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

Originally Posted by Kotare View Post
Recognise the mindset. My kids happily travelled unaccompanied back and forth from UK boarding school long haul eg Cyprus, Hong Kong and Australia from the age of 8. The airlines look after them well and I haven't noticed any serious psychological impairment :-).
I looked into unaccompanied flights but I think the MIL has plans to come over and stick up on British essentials (as at the moment we are her main supplier of these) so the would in all likelihood fly back with her...as for impairment they are nuts already so doubt we'd notice
inkedneonurse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:59 am
  #20  
It is what it is Member
 
simonsi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Blockhouse Bay, Auckland
Posts: 2,795
simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

Originally Posted by Kotare View Post
Recognise the mindset. My kids happily travelled unaccompanied back and forth from UK boarding school long haul eg Cyprus, Hong Kong and Australia from the age of 8. The airlines look after them well and I haven't noticed any serious psychological impairment :-).
Lol thats comparing a glorified bus journey with emigration? The issue is the change the children perceive, but hey OP can take advice or not as they see fit, everyone's circumstances are different.
simonsi is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:05 pm
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
inkedneonurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Surrey
Posts: 515
inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
Lol thats comparing a glorified bus journey with emigration? The issue is the change the children perceive, but hey OP can take advice or not as they see fit, everyone's circumstances are different.
I certainly can .....of course another question coming off this is..as in the main visa applicant can the kids even pass the boarder without me?
inkedneonurse is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:10 pm
  #22  
It is what it is Member
 
simonsi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Blockhouse Bay, Auckland
Posts: 2,795
simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early did you take your kids out of school

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse View Post
I certainly can .....of course another question coming off this is..as in the main visa applicant can the kids even pass the boarder without me?
They should be able to come in fine I think - presuming any usual UM requirements are met for and by the airline. Don't forget ESTA's if coming via the US.

But do bear in mind they may be treated as International students until you arrive, that might be quite an impact and you should firm that up...the fees associated aren't cheap and may even be non-refundable IIRC.
simonsi is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.