British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How does this work? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-does-work-508357/)

sarahchirles Jan 22nd 2008 10:52 pm

How does this work?

I am being theoretical now...

If I was a 65 ish year old man... definately reaching retirement age.

My daughter of probably early 30's and son of the same age were both in NZ and have been for 10 years or so.

I have managed to move out to NZ with my second family. Son and daughter under 20.

Can that happen?

happynz Jan 22nd 2008 11:06 pm

Re: How does this work?

Originally Posted by sarahchirles (Post 5826079)
I am being theoretical now...

If I was a 65 ish year old man... definitely reaching retirement age.

OK...

My daughter of probably early 30's and son of the same age were both in NZ and have been for 10 years or so.

Do they have residency or citizenship? If so, they should be able to sponsor you if they meet the criteria set by New Zealand Immigration Service.

I have managed to move out to NZ with my second family. Son and daughter under 20.

Can that happen?

I'll try to paraphrase in the vague hope that we will be on the same page. Old man has kids in their 30s living in New Zealand. Would it be possible for the old man's kids to sponsor him for residency? Can the old man bring over his second family? Is that what you are asking?

Nerine Jan 22nd 2008 11:10 pm

You could be able to apply under the family category but it can take a couple of years to be approved, or you could come under your own steam if you're bringing enough money with you at that age.

NZ can be a good place to retire to if you're cashed up and choose the right location to settle in.

BEVS Jan 23rd 2008 12:13 am

A 65yr old man wishes to live in New Zealand.

Would it be possible for the old man's first set of kids, living in NZ for ten years , to sponsor him for residency?

Can the old man bring over his second family on the back of this sponsorship?

I think that's the gist of it. :blink:

Is that what you are asking?

If the old chap is thinking of coming on the Family Category, I would say the answer is no. The reason for this is that he currently has dependent children outside of NZ at the present time. Therefore, his 'centre of gravity' is not in New Zealand but elsewhere.

Please read HERE

If his new wife is much younger [55 or under] and has skills that NZ wants, then perhaps they could apply under their own steam.

If the chap is wealthy, then he could perhaps look to the investment categories. Look HERE