Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How does anyone afford to have a baby in NZ?

How does anyone afford to have a baby in NZ?

Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:38 am
Just Joined

EJD08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does anyone afford to have a baby in NZ?

I am wondering how anyone affords to have a baby here in NZ with just three months maternity pay?? It's SO much less than you get in UK I earn more money than my boyfriend and he reckons I would either have to go back to work after the three months (if we have a baby) or we would have to get an au pair (cheaper than day care). My problem is ... I don't want either of these! I can't even imagine going back to work after just 3 months and leaving our baby with someone else....and neither do I want someone else living with us and looking after my child! But my boyfriend seems to think I'm dreaming if I think there are any other options...as he says theres no way we would survive just on his salary (which is true...we wouldn't). I have tried saying he could always try and earn more money but at 40 (he's quite a bit older than me) I appreciate it's not easy to start a whole new career. I really want to hear what others think / how others do it.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does anyone afford to have a baby in NZ?

Wait until the wee un is sick or you have two that are sick.
Those days you have to take off to look after them are sick off school or kindy will come off your sick leave.
Don't forget all those other benefits that are less generous here.
Welcome to NZ.
People do all sorts of things. Maybe Playcentre where you do a bit and take a bit but they won't cover it all.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Be a childminder with your own child in tow?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Be a childminder with your own child in tow?
could be a re-train for the OP's fella?
pay's not good but the tax level is pretty low.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJD08
I am wondering how anyone affords to have a baby here in NZ with just three months maternity pay?? It's SO much less than you get in UK I earn more money than my boyfriend and he reckons I would either have to go back to work after the three months (if we have a baby) or we would have to get an au pair (cheaper than day care). My problem is ... I don't want either of these! I can't even imagine going back to work after just 3 months and leaving our baby with someone else....and neither do I want someone else living with us and looking after my child! But my boyfriend seems to think I'm dreaming if I think there are any other options...as he says theres no way we would survive just on his salary (which is true...we wouldn't). I have tried saying he could always try and earn more money but at 40 (he's quite a bit older than me) I appreciate it's not easy to start a whole new career. I really want to hear what others think / how others do it.
we dont, we keep them for 3 months then eat them ....... how do you think we keep the population so low
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

When my kids were born 20 years ago in Scotland we asked the same question as there was limited maternity leave at the time and money was tight. The answer is that you make do, cut your cloth and get by and struggle like the majority of young families. If you wait until you can afford to have kids it will be too late, go for it now and adapt good luck
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by alanmacc
we dont, we keep them for 3 months then eat them ....... how do you think we keep the population so low
thought you could buy their heads in New World, I hear it's a delicacy on the North Shore.......???
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I paid lip service to the idea of childcare/au pairs/Nannies etc but always knew I wanted to stay at home with my kids really (just the feminist in me was resistant) which meant I pursued a crap unfulfilling career into my early thirties. When I did eventually throw away pill packet I had a miscarriage so I plunged myself back into crap career another 4 years.
When I did finally produce a sprog at 36 - I definitely knew I was staying at home but by then OH earning was earning more than enough. It's not a good thing to leave reproducing that late though - far more likely to have learning difficulties etc it seems.

Woodlea is right, if you put it off for too long, you forget to have them. We always kept our mortgage much lower than others - only on House No 2, where we knew others who were getting mortgages up to 1 million in London - wouldn't be able to sleep at night personally in that much debt.

Another way if you have a well-paid job is to borrow or save up the equivalent of a year's essential outgoings and then at least you can be there for 18 months or so.
Again as Woodlea says people do it, go back to work with young kids. I think maybe a support network helps.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 21st 2011 at 10:09 am.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:19 am
you dewty owld maan!

Hard work though doing the childcare thing without the grandparents to provide some relief. We were helped when my folks came over for three 90 days holdays over three years.
Lots of the kids being collected from the schools our boys attend are leaving with their grandparents.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
Hard work though doing the childcare thing without the grandparents to provide some relief. We were helped when my folks came over for three 90 days holdays over three years.
Lots of the kids being collected from the schools our boys attend are leaving with their grandparents.
She's already preggers though so not much she can do except make it work somehow.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:15 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

We have got two now. We get by, just like everyone else. Working for families tax credit helps (alot). If you think the three months maternity leave sucks, just remember your partner is also entitled to a week's parental leave, unpaid of course.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

How about going back part time after your maternity leave? This still gives you some income and time with baby? Any chance you could work from home? Down size house wise? Save up for a year... not just money but shopping items. Do as others have said... you just need to plan ahead and cut your cloth accordingly. Lots of us do survive here with children.
Gill
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering how anyone affords to have a baby here in NZ with just three months maternity pay?? It's SO much less than you get in UK
There is always the alternative.... go back to UK.
Gill
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:31 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

can you not work from home -or at least for a period of time? with the shoe on the other foot there are a lot of employers who are constantly loosing good staff because they 'go and get pregnant' - if your a good staff member if they can retain you somehow they will.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually not about what "you" earn, it's about what "you" spend.

Best wishes with whatever decisions you make.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.