Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do you strip..........

How do you strip..........

Old May 20th 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of
Wink How do you strip..........

wall paper without it looking like the walls have been attacked by a nursery of 4 year olds .

I decided to have a go and remove the wall paper off the toilet walls. After a while I realised the brown paper was not a lining paper, but the actual wall . We have a whole house to do but I am worried about the mess and what to do once the paper is off .

I can now see why the wall paper is circa 1970

How did others overcome this dilema??

Thanks for your help
Old May 20th 2010, 6:37 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you strip..........

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
wall paper without it looking like the walls have been attacked by a nursery of 4 year olds .

I decided to have a go and remove the wall paper off the toilet walls. After a while I realised the brown paper was not a lining paper, but the actual wall . We have a whole house to do but I am worried about the mess and what to do once the paper is off .

Thanks for your help
Painted over and then re-wallpapered
Old May 20th 2010, 7:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wallpaper steamer might do it.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:59 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Be carefull its not the old style GIB board, we did a whole house with this on it and once we had soaked the lounge wall, we tried to get the wall paper off and the rest of the what we thought was backing paper came off with the paper, and left holes and rough patches.

You can use a garden plant sprayer, fill half with washing up liquid and half with hot water and spray onto walls and let soak, the wahing up liquid helps the water stay on the paper and the hot water will soak in better.

Be careful with a steamer as if its the old style GIB and they may not have sized the walls first back then, the whold lot will come off and you will end up skimming the walls with GIB mix.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

I think it is the old GIB board. The house is about 40 years old and I dont think the walls have been sized. I used a steamer and plain water and both pulled the brown GIB off. Thankfully there are no holes in the walls, but I feel the whole house is like this . It makes me feel we should just leave it and live with the grotty wallpaper
Old May 20th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

for delicate walls like this, i find its best to score the wallpaper first (use edge of wallpaper stripper) then soak the paper with warm water using a sponge a few times before attempting to scrape off. takes a bit longer than a steamer, but will leave the plaster underneath intact.

otherwise, use a steamer, but dont hold it tight against the wall and not for too long
jax
Old May 20th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I always use sugar soap (get it in DIY shops) I find its much better than just warm water. Scoring is a pain, but worth it.
Good luck!
Old May 20th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your help
Use a wall paper stripper, which steams the wall paper and helps to bring off the wall paper more easily, but slice the top wallpaper with a knife first and it will just peel away with the steam.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

One of the problems is that the walls in some NZ house are not plastered like they are in the uk . The wall paper has been put straight onto the GIB (plaster) board and is stuck like s**t to a blanket .

Thanks for suggestions
Old May 20th 2010, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think it is the old GIB board. The house is about 40 years old and I don't think the walls have been sized. I used a steamer and plain water and both pulled the brown GIB off. Thankfully there are no holes in the walls, but I feel the whole house is like this . It makes me feel we should just leave it and live with the grotty wallpaper
Probably right then. Our house is 35+ years old. Thankfully the wallpaper isn't too awful but I;d like to see the back of it too. We tried painting over some of it but that looks awful IMO. Shows up everything.

Perhaps I'll forget the steamer idea then on the back of this thread..

One of the problems is that the walls in some NZ house are not plastered like they are in the uk . The wall paper has been put straight onto the GIB (plaster) board and is stuck like s**t to a blanket .

I tried a bit in our back bedroom and can see it's the same.

I dunno Foxesecho. I suppose it's either papering over the wallpaer. I've found that this has happened in this house , with 2 or 3 layers underneath.

Or it's get rid of all wallpaper and gib skim
Old May 20th 2010, 11:45 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a steamer - even though they are 5x the price as they are in B&Q.
Works well but it's easy to damage that paper layer on the old style GIB.
Old May 22nd 2010, 9:44 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

If you cant get it off as the old gib comes with it, get some block out paint, like Zinnser sealer, and seal the paper and paint over it, or buy some lining paper and cover the walss length ways, we had to skim a whole house after the Gib came away with the paper, lucky for us the owner payed the extra.