Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do you clean gardening equipment?

How do you clean gardening equipment?

Old May 18th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future
Default How do you clean gardening equipment?

Just wondering how you clean lawnmowers, strimmers etc if you want to take them in the container. Can you get them cleaned professionally? I've no idea.

Kim
Old May 18th 2007, 7:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you clean gardening equipment?

Go to a garden centre or DIY store and buy some stuff called Jeyes Fluid. Wash the gardening tools in hot water until they are spotless, and then cover them in Jeyes Fluid, following the instructions on the tin.

HTH

Buzzy
Old May 18th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark and kim
Just wondering how you clean lawnmowers, strimmers etc if you want to take them in the container. Can you get them cleaned professionally? I've no idea.

Kim
as BB says use Jeyes fluids. But afore you use said disinfectant they have to be utterly, spotlessly clean. I pressure washed everything that was in the garden..the bikes too! Shoes have to be cleaned llike new too..especially the soles! MAF will reject anything slightly muddy, grassy or rusty..we got inspected too!!! You can hire a pressure washer. I had a mower and 2 carpet cleaners but to get them 'mint' would have taken soooooooooooooooo much effort I left them. Your strimmer and mower will have to be as they left the factory..bio hazard safety is HUGE here!! Good luck.
Old May 19th 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
as BB says use Jeyes fluids. But afore you use said disinfectant they have to be utterly, spotlessly clean. I pressure washed everything that was in the garden..the bikes too! Shoes have to be cleaned llike new too..especially the soles! MAF will reject anything slightly muddy, grassy or rusty..we got inspected too!!! You can hire a pressure washer. I had a mower and 2 carpet cleaners but to get them 'mint' would have taken soooooooooooooooo much effort I left them. Your strimmer and mower will have to be as they left the factory..bio hazard safety is HUGE here!! Good luck.
DITTO. Worth the effort as MAF are not friendly when it comes to dirt!!!!
Old May 19th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark and kim

Kim
Good question I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to paint the toolsand have bought Jeyes to disinfect, but the lawn mower and strimmer I'm thinking of leaving for our tenants - too much hassle to clean.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:22 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We had our lawnmower professionally cleaned (£70), only reason we bought it was co it was less thn 12 months old. Not sure what MAF reckon to it yet, but will let you know. Our container is due tomorrow and MAF have already expressed an interest in the garden stuff

As for the tools jeyes fluid, a pressure washer and hammerite