Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves?

How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves?

Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future
Default How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves?

Their appears to be lots of "White Flight" from the UK. Wondered what the New Zealand people think of "Foreigners" entering their Country? Do they like us or resent us?

I have a friend who left for OZ yesterday and he said the removal agents said that they have never seen so many predominantly white British leaving the UK as at the moment.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves?

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Their appears to be lots of "White Flight" from the UK. Wondered what the New Zealand people think of "Foreigners" entering their Country? Do they like us or resent us?

I have a friend who left for OZ yesterday and he said the removal agents said that they have never seen so many predominantly white British leaving the UK as at the moment.

Ours said exactly the same thing. Not there yet,but they must be glad of the experience and help,surely.
Reckon there's a bit of professional touchiness going on too,though,from what others have been saying.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves?

I found them to be very welcoming to British, but not so much to Asians.
When we got here 4 years ago the locals were happy to chat to us about the shocking amount of immigrants coming into 'their' country referring to the asians but we found it a bit strange as we are immigrants too. When we said so, the response was normally, well, you're ok because you are British.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by danny.f
Ours said exactly the same thing. Not there yet,but they must be glad of the experience and help,surely.
Reckon there's a bit of professional touchiness going on too,though,from what others have been saying.
I think the professional touchiness is just a case of new immigrants wanting to do things their way, not taking the time to see how things are done in their new country. No different than what happens in the UK if a new immigrant arrives at your workplace and proceeds to tell you that "back home we did it so much better". It doesn't go down well wherever you are, and is not the best way to meet friends and settle in.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:50 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves

The kiwis are leaving for Oz in droves so I don't think they mind us lot coming here too much.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
I found them to be very welcoming to British, but not so much to Asians.
When we got here 4 years ago the locals were happy to chat to us about the shocking amount of immigrants coming into 'their' country referring to the asians but we found it a bit strange as we are immigrants too. When we said so, the response was normally, well, you're ok because you are British.

When we were over there,our mates were saying there's a lot of Somalis. Somalis!! Jesus,they're better travelled than the sodding Queen!!
Was really funny hearing the Asians with Kiwi accents. Dead weird.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:20 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

I lived in NZ for a year, and concur with your opinion, in that the Kiwis are not as welcoming to Asians as others. I think as mentioned it comes down to integration, there is a perception that the Asians stick to themselves, and do not make any effort to integrate with the (white majority Kiwis.) I have to say, from what i saw it was true. But then i guess it is only natural, when you move to another country, to gravitate to what you know.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R.Soper
I lived in NZ for a year, and concur with your opinion, in that the Kiwis are not as welcoming to Asians as others. I think as mentioned it comes down to integration, there is a perception that the Asians stick to themselves, and do not make any effort to integrate with the (white majority Kiwis.) I have to say, from what i saw it was true. But then i guess it is only natural, when you move to another country, to gravitate to what you know.

Yep, the english are the same in Asian countries like Hong Kong. My sister used to live there in an all white area and used to treat the locals like sh*t I'm afraid.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do Kiwis react to immigrants especially the British leaving the UK in droves

'Scuse me for barging in again. I was wondering if there are many Americans in NZ. Hubby is a Yank and I'm concerned he would feel cut off and very isolated ... just like I did when I came to the US in 1995, actually.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
'Scuse me for barging in again. I was wondering if there are many Americans in NZ. Hubby is a Yank and I'm concerned he would feel cut off and very isolated ... just like I did when I came to the US in 1995, actually.
Must say I haven't come across many.
I think he would feel cut off and isolated anyway being here, it's kind of like that! Many people feel that way when they first move here.
Whats your position then? Are you in US now and thinking of moving here?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, just read your location!
I'm from essex too, what town are you from? Do you like it in Chicago? Never been to US but would love to do a road trip there. One day...
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
I work in a call centre dealing with a banks customers and have spoken to a few yanks they maybe canadians but they all sound similar to me (forgive me for that, for I still can tell the difference from an aussie to a kiwi) and I am living in auckland (oops), I work with an aussie and lots of kiwis and several brits (there are now 4 of us, we are taking over honest!!!!)
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

There are lots and lots of immigrants in NZ many of which are not from the UK, Kiwis are generally a friendly lot, alot of which are of course decendants of the UK. People from the UK tend to come here to earn a living, most being well qualified, honest, decent people, so no I dont think kiwi's have a problem but welcome us, they may have a problem with some of the other immigrants who arrive in the country with nothing to offer, and with no intention in giving!!!!