Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do I get repeat prescriptions in NZ?

How do I get repeat prescriptions in NZ?

Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Ian and Gill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get repeat prescriptions in NZ?

Hello, all,

We're hoping to move out soon but still have a few questions and were hoping someone could help??

I'm on repeat prsecription medication from my GP, here in the UK: how do prescriptions work over in NZ?
Do I have to get a GP and then give him/her my medical records, then they decide what to do?

Whats the cost of prescribed medications over in NZ?

Thanks,
Ian & Gill
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:34 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get repeat prescriptions in NZ?

If you've got permanent residency, are registered with a surgery and most importantly, the bloody woman on the reception enters the correct code on your records, then the repeat service works pretty much the same as UK.
Prescriptions cost next to nothing if the above apply, but a consultation is about $15.
Get a copy of your records, it's better than trying to remember them!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve View Post
If you've got permanent residency, are registered with a surgery and most importantly, the bloody woman on the reception enters the correct code on your records, then the repeat service works pretty much the same as UK.
Prescriptions cost next to nothing if the above apply, but a consultation is about $15.
Get a copy of your records, it's better than trying to remember them!
Thank you very much for such a quick reply.Ian and Gill.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a GP practice a couple of days a week, and seem to spend rather more time than I would like doing repeat prescriptions . The system, in my experience, is very much the same as in the UK, but you're most likely to be asked to go in and meet your Dr for the first prescription as not all meds are the same over here, and there's definitely not the same range of meds here (or, not at the funded price, at any rate). So your Dr is likely to want to meet you, go over your medical history, your meds & just check that he/she is happy to continue prescribing them. After that you should be able to ring up & order rpt scripts as needed. Of course if your meds require you to have any monitoring, blood tests, BP checks etc then you'll be asked to front up and get these done as needed. Although much of that can be done by the nurse (cheaper consult ).
Fully funded meds are $3 per script, however you can get items that are only part funded or not funded...with those you pay a percentage of the actual cost of the medication. I have the feeling that we levy a charge for actually doing the script as well . Hmmm, I'm still the new girl, but I'm sure I heard that........I must go check this morning.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:43 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've just paid $4 per item on a fully funded script.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:36 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno how it works.

My husband's repeat prescription costs $10 bucks to get from the medical centre, presumably the fee for the GP signing the 'script and then $3 for the pills from the chemist.

I'd say a GP is going to want to see you before issuing any prescription.

A visit to our GP costs us $35 a hit.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 1st 2009 at 9:39 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I dunno how it works.

My husband's repeat prescription costs $10 bucks to get from the medical centre, presumably the fee for the GP signing the 'script and then $3 for the pills from the chemist.

I'd say a GP is going to want to see you before issuing any prescription.

A visit to our GP costs us $35 a hit.
A GP visit cost can differ from GP practice to GP practice, I would love to pay $15! The GP practice sets the price so it can be worth shopping arround and talking to friends/neighbours. In Auckland you can easily pay $50+. Please also note that it can take up to 3 months for you to receive the subsidised cost for visiting a GP, during that initial 3+ months you can pay an extra $30. For example before I was enrolled I paid $75, now I pay $45. The GP cannot speed this enrollment process up, the government sets the quarterly dates where patients can be accepted for subsidised costs!

As someone said you have to be a Permanent Resident to receive subsidised prices on visits to your GP and prescriptions.

Hope this makes sense
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah $15 a visit would be a bargain, as this would probably not be covered under ACC and hubs is not a child......$30-40 up here (even for us residents)....depending on the phases of the moon, plus the cost of filling the prescription.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:46 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Generally if it is a managed condition (eg Asthma) the doctor will probably not require you to come in too regularly. I have to go in once a year just for an update as long as nothing changes with my condition.

So, essentially it's a one off appointment (currently around $30). I get a script at that point then mosey along to the pharmacy to pick it up.

The script is valid for 3 months but you can generally only pick up one month at a time. So the repeat pick ups (within the 3 months) don't cost me. At the end of the three months I get another prescription. Again, I pay $12 for the script at that point and then $3 for the item. Or whatever the cost is.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: How do I get repeat prescriptions in NZ?

Think I am being done by my GP. Been here 8 weeks and on a repeat prescription. So went to introduce myself and set up the prescription. My GP says she wants to see me every two months. Not sure what for as I have been on the tablets for 12 years without any problems. At $46 a throw it is going to be expensive . Will go back and enquire the proper set.

I had to pay $3 for the script at the Chemist.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:06 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: How do I get repeat prescriptions in NZ?

Originally Posted by Ian and Gill View Post
Hello, all,

We're hoping to move out soon but still have a few questions and were hoping someone could help??

I'm on repeat prsecription medication from my GP, here in the UK: how do prescriptions work over in NZ?
Do I have to get a GP and then give him/her my medical records, then they decide what to do?

Whats the cost of prescribed medications over in NZ?

Thanks,
Ian & Gill
I am on daily thyroxine for under active thyroid so will need to register asap and get myself up and running for repeat prescriptions, so am so glad of this thread, thanks guys.

Tina. x
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by willand tina_h View Post
I am on daily thyroxine for under active thyroid so will need to register asap and get myself up and running for repeat prescriptions, so am so glad of this thread, thanks guys.

Tina. x
From you suffix (dates of EOI, ITA. etc), Tina, it looks like you guys are almost there!
Best of luck!
Ian
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:33 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ian and Gill View Post
From you suffix (dates of EOI, ITA. etc), Tina, it looks like you guys are almost there!
Best of luck!
Ian
Hi Ian,

fingers crossed we will be, however, our case officer is on her holidays until next week and we have no idea of how long it will take to hear form them and then to get whatever info they want if any...........but what I have done is start to ask for reports from my consultants those I am still under and discharged from, posted all letters off, so just waiting and if I do not need them then it will be a bonus Will keep you posted though, nailbiting time this is, lol.

Tina. x
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of

Can anyone tell me if I can get free prescriptions in New Zealand. I don't pay for them in the UK because I am over 60 and take Thyroxine (which is also free on prescription).

I am applying for residency in New Zealand.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:58 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxesecho View Post
Think I am being done by my GP. Been here 8 weeks and on a repeat prescription. So went to introduce myself and set up the prescription. My GP says she wants to see me every two months. Not sure what for as I have been on the tablets for 12 years without any problems. At $46 a throw it is going to be expensive . Will go back and enquire the proper set.

I had to pay $3 for the script at the Chemist.
I don't want to ask too much (not necessary) but sometimes if you are needing medication which is not automatically fully funded the doctor may require you to visit more regularly to ensure you are on the right dosage/medication. In fact, in may not be the doctors requirement but rather pharmac. Go back to your doctor and ask why. If it's just because they like to see you more often tell them to take a hike. But if it's because of the medication that may be out of their control. You have been on the medication for twelve years, but not under her care or in this country. I had a similar issue when I was in the UK (I was on painkillers) and when I returned to New Zealand a few years ago (the asthma medication). They needed to monitor me for a bit.

They should at least explain it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.