Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How do I get my football fix?

How do I get my football fix?

Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get my football fix?

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Will have to try that with my Samsung Smart TV and also mask my internat connection. In interim Sommet Sports offs decent but irregular coverage.

Separately amusing how the rugby fans refer to northern and southern hemisphere's to make the game appear global, when in reality it's just UK and France, and NZ, Aus and SA.
It's worth sorting the Samsung out, if only for BBC and Netflix.

Bless them egg chasers and their half empty stadiums. I like to remind them that Rugby is only the number one sport in one country...... here. So that's 0.06% of the worlds population live in a country dominated by Rugby.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
It's worth sorting the Samsung out, if only for BBC and Netflix.

Bless them egg chasers and their half empty stadiums. I like to remind them that Rugby is only the number one sport in one country...... here. So that's 0.06% of the worlds population live in a country dominated by Rugby.
80K at Twickenham at the weekend. You know people only go to soccer for the singing/parochialism?? 89 minutes of boredom, 1 minute of genius and 3 minutes of extra time......
Old Nov 25th 2014, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
80K at Twickenham at the weekend. You know people only go to soccer for the singing/parochialism?? 89 minutes of boredom, 1 minute of genius and 3 minutes of extra time......
80,000 Ruperts and Jontys at 'Twikkers' for an international. WOW!!!!!!!

I bet it was like a Conservative Party Conference. Boring, pointless, posh and full of twats with double barrelled names decked out in tweed.

Sure, international Rugby can attract the occasional big crowd but as a sport it's got no substance.

You've only got one song.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

UN40EH5300FXZA. Can't find any clues in the the forums about it.

Bought from Costco about a year ago. iPlayer was working initially (after country change and spoofed DNS). Then it stopped.

It's a bedroom TV and we don't use it that often; when we do use the SmartTV function, it has to update almost every single time
Old Nov 25th 2014, 5:16 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
+1
Also to watch the little tantrums and the bullying of the referee.....disgrace....

Last edited by Stormer999; Nov 25th 2014 at 5:22 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Will have to try that with my Samsung Smart TV and also mask my internat connection. In interim Sommet Sports offs decent but irregular coverage.

Separately amusing how the rugby fans refer to northern and southern hemisphere's to make the game appear global, when in reality it's just UK and France, and NZ, Aus and SA.
You know that match against the USA is going to make the game huge over there.

It'll be a refresh for the ABs since they think UK people are nasty racist cretins. Disgusting that we sing during their haka.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Football is the only true global team sport. Even then most countries don't have much of a chance of international silverware.

There is the odd surprise, Greece in 2004, but despite the massive appeal of football. It's still a pretty boring with the same select few staying the course of winning trophies both at club and international level.

As and Englishman we've seen our national Cricket team and the Rugby team win world cups and lead the world rankings, despite neither sport being being the national game - which is way more fun than some two bob football team who are now so dull to watch that the very country that invented the game can't even fill the national stadium. Embarrassing.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 00derek
UN40EH5300FXZA. Can't find any clues in the the forums about it.

Bought from Costco about a year ago. iPlayer was working initially (after country change and spoofed DNS). Then it stopped.

It's a bedroom TV and we don't use it that often; when we do use the SmartTV function, it has to update almost every single time
I think this deserves it's own thread.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Football is the only true global team sport. Even then most countries don't have much of a chance of international silverware.

There is the odd surprise, Greece in 2004, but despite the massive appeal of football. It's still a pretty boring with the same select few staying the course of winning trophies both at club and international level.

As and Englishman we've seen our national Cricket team and the Rugby team win world cups and lead the world rankings, despite neither sport being being the national game - which is way more fun than some two bob football team who are now so dull to watch that the very country that invented the game can't even fill the national stadium. Embarrassing.
Don't worry yourself about football crowds, it's those football crowds that have provided the stadia to host next years Rugby World Cup as Rugby in England doesn't have the infrastructure due to piss poor attendances. Oh I forgot, it's the second biggest sporting event on earth!!!!!!! Aye alright.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:48 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry yourself about football crowds, it's those football crowds that have provided the stadia to host next years Rugby World Cup as Rugby in England doesn't have the infrastructure due to piss poor attendances. Oh I forgot, it's the second biggest sporting event on earth!!!!!!! Aye alright.
Our Millennium Stadium is usually completely full, somewhere sensible true supporters can sit and watch a mans game with beer in hand without having to be separated into containment zones....
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

I loved football to the max in the UK
But since Arsenal have gone down the pan my interest is waning. Plus its hard to watch here with time difference. Especially Champions League as i'll be at work! Like tomorrow Arsenal v Dortmund i'll be in some meeting so cant even check BBC Sport haha.
I love cricket so have maintained by interest in that by following the Black Caps
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
I loved football to the max in the UK
But since Arsenal have gone down the pan my interest is waning. Plus its hard to watch here with time difference. Especially Champions League as i'll be at work! Like tomorrow Arsenal v Dortmund i'll be in some meeting so cant even check BBC Sport haha.
I love cricket so have maintained by interest in that by following the Black Caps
Are you going to the England v New Zealand world cup match Dennis??? I've got a couple of tickets with the Barmy Army for that game, probably to witness an English defeat knowing my luck with English cricket
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Who said that?

I'm not worried about a half empty Wembley. It's just indicative that football fans aren't as great as they think they are. When times don't go quite so smoothly they shy away.

Even Man City aren't selling out most weeks.

To be fair, there is probably too much choice of live Football available, which doesn't help.

Stadium MK, Brighton Community Stadium, Leicester City Stadium, Manchester City Stadium weren't solely built for football, Brighton gives a massive clue to that. Although the respective clubs are an integral part of those stadium becoming profitable for those who have invested.

The Olympic Stadium and Wembley Stadium built for multi-purpose.

Villa Park I'll give you. But a world cup in any sport is about spreading geographically to give as many people the chance to attend in terms of travel and Birmingham being the "second city" need a piece of that action.

St James' Park involvement is largely to allow the Scots people have easy access to two of their pool games, one of which is the major tie against South Africa.

Elland Road has been used for other sports, mainly Rugby League for years.

Surely fact that the Rugby World Cup isn't being played at Welford Road (Leicester), Kingston Park (Newcastle), Salford City Stadium and Franklins Gardens (Northampton) is a testament to the international game that there is a demand to use bigger stadiums in the same towns and cities?
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

As a Dunedin resident empty unprofitable rugby stadiums are a sore point, even more debt was piled onto us rate payers last week. $270m in total now.

All because the Rugby powers promised Rugby could easily fund the stadium when the truth is it can't and will never be able to. Highlanders get about 10k per match and it's as cheap as $15 entry, there's only 8 home games a year and the provincial rugby games get about 4k per match and 8 times a year.

I'm forced into subsidising the lack of interest in Rugby in supposedly the heart of Rugby Union in NZ.

The stadium has cost about the same as Man City's stadium.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

True.

I very nearly put in my response something about not being bothered about Wembley, partly as I'm now no longer adding to the coffers in helping to pay off the debts it accrued.

Build it and they will come ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.