Reload this Page >

How to distinguish Brits in NZ

How to distinguish Brits in NZ

Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pay as you go phones/phone cards

Hello all

Any recommendations on the best mobile phone provider to go with. I know that Vodafone is there, but who is best?

Also, do international phone cards make more sense, financially?

Last edited by mkumar; Jul 18th 2008 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:13 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to distinguish Brits in NZ

Unlike the UK, NZ only has two mobile phone providers, Telecom and Vodaphone.

Telecom use a system without SIM cards, so if you're bringing your UK phones you're stuck with Vodaphone. Remember to get your UK phones unlocked before you leave the UK, but otherwise they will work perfectly in NZ on Vodaphone

Phonecards definately make sense. My card lets me call the UK for 3.8 Cents (1.5p) a minute anytime from a landline, cheaper than a local call in the UK!!. The best deal I can get from Telecom is, I think, 16c a minute offpeak.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How to distinguish Brits in NZ

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Unlike the UK, NZ only has two mobile phone providers, Telecom and Vodaphone.

Telecom use a system without SIM cards, so if you're bringing your UK phones you're stuck with Vodaphone. Remember to get your UK phones unlocked before you leave the UK, but otherwise they will work perfectly in NZ on Vodaphone

Phonecards definately make sense. My card lets me call the UK for 3.8 Cents (1.5p) a minute anytime from a landline, cheaper than a local call in the UK!!. The best deal I can get from Telecom is, I think, 16c a minute offpeak.
Hi there I use the telecom 0161 number a lot to call the UK and its 8 cents a min off peak and 16 cents any other time you dial 0161 44 then the uk number. Still seems much cheaper with a card by the looks of it though i may have to invest in one!
Cheers
Cally
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay as you go phones/phone cards

Originally Posted by mkumar
Hello all

Any recommendations on the best mobile phone provider to go with. I know that Vodafone is there, but who is best?

Also, do international phone cards make more sense, financially?
Yep I agree phone cards are the way, I can call back home for 3.9c per minute including GST - I call UK America and Spain for the same price, less than a toll call here. Never have any extra's on my phone bill as local calls are free and I use the phone card for all other calls. $50 can last me 3 months or more depending on who I am calling and how long for.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:49 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I brought 2 phones here from the UK 2.5yrs ago and got them unlocked on K Road, Auckland for $20 each, it will cost you more than that in pounds in UK, with inflation it ,may have went up a little.

Do bring you phones, as you have lots more choice in UK and what you think is pretty basic will be super cool here.

Landlines we pay $2.99 for 1st hr and get charges max. $4.99 per call to UK via Worlwide exchange.

Clothes is the other thing, according to my wife NZ is light years behind she yearns for a proper NEXT(not 5yrs out of date one at Onehunga) and other general big clothing stores which you take for granted in UK that sell reasonable priced good quality semi-fashionable clothes.

Cars. do not come here and convert your pounds to dollars when buying a car, no-one cares if you are driving a BMW, Volvo, people just have cars here and you can get a good bargain, but remember make sure they have a WOF and some Rego to go. Best place is Ellerslie car market, the AA have people there to check over cars for you before you buy, it is like a carboot sale for cars.

Other thing not to do that the Kiwi's understandably hate is say "when we were in the UK we did it this way or that way" this will not find you friends very quickly, or you could join one of the many whinging poms groups(which I am not welcome cause I am Scottish) that sit round every weekend and moan about how bad and how hard things are here, been to one just after we arrived and wanted to go home right after it.

Last edited by theduke; Jul 19th 2008 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:19 pm
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

We use Skype for all our phone calls. We have set it up to use a normal phone (not the PC) for calls. Flat rate for calling many countries if you sign up for skype world unlimited. About 50 quid for 12 months as many minutes as you like, which also includes 3 incoming numbers so you can set one up in the UK (or anywhere else) so that friends/rles call a UK number and it gets transfered to NZ. If you're moving round NZ you could have one here so you don't need to keep changing your number with people too.

HTH

Andy