British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How did YOU do it??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-did-you-do-421232/)

Danemad Jan 24th 2007 8:53 am

How did YOU do it???

Apart from those of you who have moved to NZ with job relocations, I would really love to know how many of had your EOI accepted and then proceeded to apply for residence before you had even been to NZ and before you started job hunting... those who went out on a WTR visa... and those of you who sent off your EOIs and in the meantime did a RECCE and managed to get a job offer before applying for residence (and other variables in between).

Just trying to decide which way to play it and would love to know how you lot did it...

Thanks,

poppets Jan 24th 2007 9:01 am

Re: How did YOU do it???

Originally Posted by Danemad (Post 4319325)
Apart from those of you who have moved to NZ with job relocations, I would really love to know how many of had your EOI accepted and then proceeded to apply for residence before you had even been to NZ and before you started job hunting... those who went out on a WTR visa... and those of you who sent off your EOIs and in the meantime did a RECCE and managed to get a job offer before applying for residence (and other variables in between).

Just trying to decide which way to play it and would love to know how you lot did it...

Thanks,

we applied for EOI, then got granted a PR. Had no job offer, & had never been to NZ before, no recce, no family here no nothing. it took hubby nearly 5 mth to get a job, but we love it here. we researched areas & schools & knew roughly where we thought we would like, luckily it all worked out well for us

dreamfish Jan 24th 2007 9:02 am

Thanks,

we submitted our EOI and ITA before visiting NZ or having job interviews.
we then figured after a lot of deliberation, that we should visit NZ, have a look around and aim to get a job offer before a case officer is assigned to us. hence our trip coming up.

i had a load of arguments for thinking it would be ok to emmigrate without visiting the country first.

then i figured - if i wanted to move to the other side of cambridge, i would go check out the area first. so i really ought to be checking out the country.

one would argue that its not possible to get out of 'holiday mode' when on a recce - which is why everyday will be spent having interviews, visiting employers, houses schools and having socials with other expats to gleam as much advice as possible.

guess it all boils down to whether you have the funds to make a mistake :)

karonious Jan 24th 2007 9:03 am

Thanks,

We had never visited NZ but thought it might be a jolly good wheeze....we only arrived in October but have enjoyed just about everything so far. There have of course been things that piss me off immensely as I have a rather short temper but on the whole the positives far outweighs the negatives for us. We just wanted to do something different with our lives rather than decline into genteel senilty in the UK.
Already had a job offer as I am a nurse and nurses seem to be eminently employable here, so can't help on that front.

pixi-dust Jan 24th 2007 9:06 am

We applied for PR and got it with no job offer, no visit to NZ first, no family or anything there. Then DH thought about getting a job! so we went out to meet some people that had offered him work, then moved over without selling the house and no money till things all got sorted in the Uk - pretty scarey at the time :blink:

mazi Jan 24th 2007 9:07 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4319358)
We had never visited NZ but thought it might be a jolly good wheeze....we only arrived in October but have enjoyed just about everything so far. There have of course been things that piss me off immensely as I have a rather short temper but on the whole the positives far outweighs the negatives for us. We just wanted to do something different with our lives rather than decline into genteel senilty in the UK.
Already had a job offer as I am a nurse and nurses seem to be eminently employable here, so can't help on that front.

I'm just curious - where in ham do you live?

mazi Jan 24th 2007 9:07 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4319375)

Have I asked you that before?

karonious Jan 24th 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4319375)

Do you promise not to come and nick my washing?

mazi Jan 24th 2007 9:15 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4319378)
Do you promise not to come and nick my washing?

well that depends if your washing is good enough to fly across the world for...!

karonious Jan 24th 2007 9:30 am

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4319402)
well that depends if your washing is good enough to fly across the world for...!

Well, I'm not going to encourage you am I? Suffice to say that St Peter's dome is modelled on my bra cups......
We don't need a shade sail......'Steve - hoist the undies'.....

poppets Jan 24th 2007 9:33 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 4319447)
Well, I'm not going to encourage you am I? Suffice to say that St Peter's dome is modelled on my bra cups......

:rofl: :rofl:

mazi Jan 24th 2007 9:35 am

:rofl:

Not sure what else to say to that.

they won't fit me though.

mazi Jan 24th 2007 9:43 am

My 'how i did it story' is a bit different to the others and therefore perhaps not what you want but I was offered a job after doing a course there and took it (not having had the intention to live there) but NZIS soon start bombarding you with offers of PR if your place of work want to keep you. I binned my letters, but of course you wouldn't have to do that.

Oh and Boyfriend is Kiwi so that may also have had something to do with it, not sure.

dreamfish Jan 24th 2007 10:03 am

phew - now i can divert the planes to your back garden - they are forever taxi-ing around my house on wash day :)

Karen2000 Jan 24th 2007 5:44 pm

Hi

My name is Karen and we are also re locating from Almeria Spain to Warkworth . My husband is already in NZ working , has been for the last 2 1/2 months and I will be leaving next Monday to drive back to Uk and fly out to NZ on 7th Feb . I am very scared , I enjoy the lifestyle in Spain but the job prospects here are dire . Even though I have already been living away from my family for more than 3 years it still seems a big step , easier than those still living in UK but scary none the less .
Sorry that I have taken this a bit off topic but I just noticed you were in Javea Danemad . We have shipped with Crown in Madrid and they will also handle the pet relocation aswell , very helpful , nothing is too much trouble .

Karen