British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HOW DID YOU DECIDE HERE WITHOUT TRIP? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-did-you-decide-here-without-trip-596027/)

JENNYMG Mar 7th 2009 2:10 pm

HOW DID YOU DECIDE HERE WITHOUT TRIP?

GOOD AFTERNOON,
SORRY TO POST SUCH AN OBVIOUS QUESTION BUT MY HUSBAND AND I WITH OUR 4 CHILDREN ARE STRUGGLING WITH WERE TO IMMIGRATE TO.
WE HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING, DISCUSSING AND TALKING TO PEOPLE WE KNOW WITH FAMILY ABROAD HERE AND I'VE BEEN LURKING ON THIS WEB PAGE FOR ADVISE BUT TO NO AVAIL AS TO WERE WE SHOULD GO ?

I AM A NURSE SO AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THE DOOR IS PRETTY MUCH OPEN.

SO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ADVISE ON HOW YOU DECIDED TO IMMIGRATE HERE WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVISE.

WE WANT A BETTER LIFESTYLE FOR US AND THE FAMILY AS WELL AS HAVING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THEIR FUTURES. NORTHERN IRELAND JUST DOESNT OFFER EITHER.

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU
JENNIFER AND JONATHAN

weejie Mar 7th 2009 9:19 pm

Re: HOW DID YOU DECIDE HERE WITHOUT TRIP?

We were going on a trip and when we costed it the money we would have spent would have paid rent for a year in a house; plus we did a lot of reading and research. I have a friend there too so have been getting info from her as well as on this forum:D Now of the attitude that going for a holiday would not ,in MY opinion, given us a true idea of how it was to live there. Now we are just going for it.

luvwelly Mar 8th 2009 1:38 am

Originally Posted by JENNYMG (Post 7354487)
GOOD AFTERNOON,
SORRY TO POST SUCH AN OBVIOUS QUESTION BUT MY HUSBAND AND I WITH OUR 4 CHILDREN ARE STRUGGLING WITH WERE TO IMMIGRATE TO.
WE HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING, DISCUSSING AND TALKING TO PEOPLE WE KNOW WITH FAMILY ABROAD HERE AND I'VE BEEN LURKING ON THIS WEB PAGE FOR ADVISE BUT TO NO AVAIL AS TO WERE WE SHOULD GO ?

I AM A NURSE SO AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THE DOOR IS PRETTY MUCH OPEN.

SO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ADVISE ON HOW YOU DECIDED TO IMMIGRATE HERE WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVISE.

WE WANT A BETTER LIFESTYLE FOR US AND THE FAMILY AS WELL AS HAVING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THEIR FUTURES. NORTHERN IRELAND JUST DOESNT OFFER EITHER.

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU
JENNIFER AND JONATHAN

Have you considered Southern Ireland or the rest of the UK? As you say you can do nursing anywhere in the Englishspeaking world pretty much. NZ's a long way to come (and an expensive mistake to make) just on a hunch...pay's pretty low comparatively too and 4 kids is a lot to keep on the lower pay. What line is your OH in?

cleverchap Mar 8th 2009 4:35 am

Wellington is basically the same size as Exeter, UK and has everything we want so no contest

You can always try:
pin
map
done
:D

MooMoo290373 Mar 8th 2009 7:26 pm

We have been researching NZ for about the last 5 years, it would cost us as a family of 5, far to much to come for a reccie. We have finally taken the plunge and are going for it hubby has now had offer of a job and we have submitted it EOI if you do your research there is no reason why you cannot do it without visiting first lots have done so and not regretted it!!!!:):)

JENNYMG Mar 8th 2009 7:31 pm

can i ask what your husband does and how he got a job offer?

MooMoo290373 Mar 8th 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Hubby is a nurse we used an agency to start with but got no where so hubby contacted the hospital in the area we wanted to be in, they got back to him with 24 hours, they emailed him an application form, we filled it in sent it back had an interview within a week, 2 weeks later had the offer, would of been quicker if they got hold of his references a lot easier. so if you have the dream of coming just keep doing the research and go for it.:D
What kind of work are you/ hubby in if you don`t mind me asking.

CindyGirl Mar 9th 2009 8:14 pm

hi there.we decided against doing a reccie because of the cost and came here thinking it had to be better than the uk.we have been here 8 months now and we are just beginning to settle.still miss some bits of the uk ,but what is on offer here certainly makes up for it.we have 3 kids and feel that we have given them back their childhood!!hope this helps

JENNYMG Mar 9th 2009 8:31 pm

thanks for comments cindygirl.
where abouts are you?
what age are children? in what way have you given back childhood s
sorry for all the questions

CindyGirl Mar 10th 2009 1:45 am

hi there.i have sent you a pm.

TheArmChairDetective Mar 11th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by weejie (Post 7355372)
We were going on a trip and when we costed it the money we would have spent would have paid rent for a year in a house; plus we did a lot of reading and research. I have a friend there too so have been getting info from her as well as on this forum:D Now of the attitude that going for a holiday would not ,in MY opinion, given us a true idea of how it was to live there. Now we are just going for it.

Whilst I seem to be singling out weejie, I am not the q is aimed at everyone, it's just that weejies signature is the basis for my question.
I apparently can migrate to NZ if I get a job offer, and the agent has advised me to go to NZ to attend interviews once I have set them up.
I am truly interested as to how you got a job offer without going to NZ to be seen face to face for an Interview.
I would genuinely like the benefit of your (and others) advice on this issue.
H,, maybe I should have started a thread over the question.
Can you/anyone help please?

Numptyhead Mar 11th 2009 11:19 am

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 7366970)
Whilst I seem to be singling out weejie, I am not the q is aimed at everyone, it's just that weejies signature is the basis for my question.
I apparently can migrate to NZ if I get a job offer, and the agent has advised me to go to NZ to attend interviews once I have set them up.
I am truly interested as to how you got a job offer without going to NZ to be seen face to face for an Interview.

Telephone interviews for nurses.

It may be harder for you if your work is not on the skills needed list. I don't think Police officers are even on it

You need to send your CV out to businesses in your line of work and then follow up with calls to those businesses a few weeks later
Good Luck;)

TheArmChairDetective Mar 11th 2009 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7367107)
Telephone interviews for nurses.

It may be harder for you if your work is not on the skills needed list. I don't think Police officers are even on it

You need to send your CV out to businesses in your line of work and then follow up with calls to those businesses a few weeks later
Good Luck;)

Thanks Numpythead, I'm too old to go back in the Police though:D

I am told by family out in OZ that it has been their experience that job hunting in Oz/NZ is easier that job hunting in the UK (outside of any recession)

Numptyhead Mar 11th 2009 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 7367158)
Thanks Numpythead, I'm too old to go back in the Police though:D

I am told by family out in OZ that it has been their experience that job hunting in Oz/NZ is easier that job hunting in the UK (outside of any recession)

LOL...me too....I did 18years before going into Nursing. I knew one day I would emigrate and would need qualifications because Policing appears to account for nothing:confused: Hubby too, ex military Police (not real police obviously...:rofl:

Do you know that there is no upper age limit NZ Police and they welcome folk with life experience. Hubby toying with the idea! Just food for thought:huh:

PS We too making the move without a reccie. Madness, but I know I will love it enough. I won't love all of it....but I'm an old bird that is happy with the simple things of life
Kind Regards
Maria

weejie Mar 11th 2009 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 7366970)

Just as Numptyhead said,telephone interview see this thread it explains it all:)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520141

Phyl x