Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How did it all start.....

How did it all start.....

Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:11 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default How did it all start.....

How did you get to or start your decision to go to New Zealand?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did it all start.....

The company my OH worked for in Peterborough, UK asked him if he wanted to do the same job but over here in NZ. He said yes but it all fell through the first time around.... we forgot all about it and then in December 04 they emailed him saying the job offer was back on again and did we want to move out... we said yes. Took 6 months from that moment to when we arrived here.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:24 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
How did you get to or start your decision to go to New Zealand?
Both me and my wife are ex-Navy so have a bit of gypsy mentality (8 homes in the last 10 years :scared: ).

About 4 years ago one of the mums friends was over chatting about a trip she had to her sisters in Welly. She also went to Auckland, Napier and then all over the South Island. She showed us some stunning photos and told us all about it. How seemed that families went out together and how everyone was friendly. The seed was sown

We had now been out of the Navy for a couple of years. I found this site and another and started doing some research. I thought that I had found our place. We decided we would do it. However my wife who was then pregnant with our second got cold feet and kyboshed the whole plan.

So here we are a couple of years later. The feeling for me hasnt left. We also feel that the UK is changing fast and are concerned about the future for our kids here. Last week I decided that we ought to start looking again and maybe fly over and have a look and try and get a feel of the place.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:51 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hi,

A friend of Debs was visiting her brother in New Zealand and was offered a job whilst here. As we were in the same line of work we asked for some details and followed up the rest ourselves. I never thought it would happen but we have been here 10 months now and wouldn`t go back.
I am also ex Navy ( O Boat Submarines 1986-1991) so I am also used to uprooting and settling down.

Taff
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by taffinkent
I am also ex Navy ( O Boat Submarines 1986-1991) so I am also used to uprooting and settling down.

Taff
1986-2000 WAFU
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:01 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Boyfriend a NZer, flat in London fell down around me (literally), love travelling, needed to meet Boyfriend's family. So went for a hol, was offered a job, stayed a bit (3 years), then left.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:48 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

saw some pictures in a book, thought 'that looks nice' sold everything (everything!) and came over!
Start of the big adventure
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

1986-2000 WAFU
So is WAFU top secret .... ?? W*A* the FU**??
Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
So is WAFU top secret .... ?? W*A* the FU**??
It stands for Wet And F##king Useless or we WAFU's say Wondeful And F##king Unique

It relates to old Aircraft carriers flight desks that where useless after launching jets caused by steam. Its now a term for all Aircraft engineers, Aircrew and ground crews. I was an Aircraft engineer

Its not really derogatory. Because all non WAFU's are jelous
Old Oct 29th 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I have many friends in OZ (met them when we lived in Singapore) but we are too old to get into OZ- Aussie gov a bit ageist and other visas were non starters.

Hubby had liked idea of living NZ since a visit there many moons ago,we had 2 trips there in 98 & millenium, then this June we met a couple from NZ who suggested we move to NZ .I started looking at websites and asking questions on forum and found NZIS would accept us oldies
Son spent his gap yr teaching/helping and having a ball at Kings school Dunedin last yr and encouraged us to go for it.
We had 110 points so applied for EOI and were selected 16 Aug. now waiting for ITA. Looking forward to going on a reccie next spring subject to visa offer and a move there in July-ish
Now feel that I have a few friends there or about to move there from this forum
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

ssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to all

I'm in the same line of work as Taffinkent,and was told that NZ were looking to recruit people to go over and take up vacant positions. We went to an open day in Leeds and as they say from that day on we were sold on the idea. Also the fact that we have young kids and think that they will have a better quality of life out in NZ was also a big help.
And for the record unlike the SKIMMER i was also on boats (nukes) from 82-88.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ssnjeff
And for the record unlike the SKIMMER i was also on boats (nukes) from 82-88.
So you havent bothered with central heating in the pad then? The whole family sit around your glow
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:41 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

So you havent bothered with central heating in the pad then? The whole family sit around your glow
Careful now !!!

Or we may have to start throwing our saved subsistence and submarine pay at you !!!!

Skim, Skimery, Skim, Skimmery
Skim,Skim, Skeroooo
You can`t see us
But we can see you !!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

ssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to all

Oh dear me,
Jack you just can't leave it can you, is it down to all those years of low pay or lack of Knowledge pay envy that you have built up over the years or is it the fact that your greatest achievement was becoming a GUNNER :scared:
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ssnjeff
Oh dear me,
Jack you just can't leave it can you, is it down to all those years of low pay or lack of Knowledge pay envy that you have built up over the years or is it the fact that your greatest achievement was becoming a GUNNER :scared:
Thats right gang up on me . Like bloody Laurel & Hardy

So what do you two do apart from a double act?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.