Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how dangerous in nz?

how dangerous in nz?

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

rupert_pumpkin will become famous soon enough
Default how dangerous in nz?

i know it's a difficult question to answer, but i was just wondering?

i'm from glasgow which has a reputation as being v dangerous but it isn't really, normally you can talk your way out of any situation, it's only certain area's which normal people avoid where random kickings occur. is it the same in nz?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice
Default Re: how dangerous in nz?

Originally Posted by rupert_pumpkin

i'm from glasgow which has a reputation as being v dangerous but it isn't really, normally you can talk your way out of any situation, it's only certain area's which normal people avoid where random kickings occur. is it the same in nz?
I'm from Glasgow too. As you say, it depends where in Glasgow you are comparing too. There's nowhere here like the bad areas of glasgow, in terms of 'atmosphere', although I agree with Scottish that some areas have a similar feel to the east end of Glasgow (which I don't consider too bad an area)

They show depressed areas of auckland on the news sometimes, as an example of how bad the housing is, and to shock 'normal' kiwis (the impression I get by the tone of the news items). To us it looks great and no way like the depressed areas of Glasgow. There really is no comparison, if you are happy with Glasgow, you will feel really safe in Auckland.

However I have been in a bar in otara which I wouldn't go into even with a bunch of mates, if there wasn't a known local with us. It would be like going into a random pub in springburn on your own. I bet you would behave like the politest person ever though!

You are very unlikely to see anything like 'once were warriors' but I am sure you could find it if you want to. Cities are like that.
Just my opinion you are all welcome to yours.

By the way, you will be lucky to talk your way out of anything here. No-one will understand you! For that matter, you will have a problem with some of the natives too.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:58 pm
livewire

Well there was an item on the news this morning about a guy who was stabbed in the neck when he went out to investigate his car being broken into.

I'd say there is something in the news most weeks about a murder or fatal car crash. There have been some high profile cases recently with pensioners being attacked in their own homes.

If you read the online edition of the NZHerald or any NZ news you'll find plenty.

There are also the recent cases of historical police rapes which I found quite disturbing when I first arrived here. Not something you hear a lot about back in the UK.

Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Crime is everywhere, but IMO NZ feels safer, but I suppose that depends on where you live. I have seen some areas of NZ that I wouldn't drive down with all the windows and doors locked even! Just like Uk really, it has good and bad areas.
Problem the Brits have is that we are always being shown NZ in its glory, the sea views, the houses, the beaches, the mountains.....ahhh......sweet as.......but in reality, will your life be as idylic.......probably not.
It paints a false picture IMO.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:16 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

It has the same crime going on as anywhere else does it just has a smaller population that's all.
Thing is when you're fresh over here you don't really know where the good and bad areas are... everywhere in christchurch looked run down and depressed to me and I interpreted that as being a bad area but actually it turns out most of these areas are not. There are lots of really flashy areas here too but they are the newer housing parks that are going up everywhere.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 6:37 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
It has the same crime going on as anywhere else does it just has a smaller population that's all.
Thing is when you're fresh over here you don't really know where the good and bad areas are... everywhere in christchurch looked run down and depressed to me and I interpreted that as being a bad area but actually it turns out most of these areas are not. There are lots of really flashy areas here too but they are the newer housing parks that are going up everywhere.
Sky - how would you rate Rangiora for crime - safer than than in Chc city?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano

Yes lots safer
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:45 am
sky
Banned

You'll be fine no one could be as unlucky as us lol... and at least you are forearmed with lots of knowledge before you arrive. Just don't fall for the over friendly shop assistants and real estate agents and you'll be sorted.
We like NZ just need a lottery win now
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:46 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
You'll be fine no one could be as unlucky as us lol... and at least you are forearmed with lots of knowledge before you arrive. Just don't fall for the over friendly shop assistants and real estate agents and you'll be sorted.
We like NZ just need a lottery win now
Thanks Sky, can't wait to get there, even with all the problems we'll no doubt encounter. Take it as it comes eh!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:52 am
sky
Banned

Thanks Sky, can't wait to get there, even with all the problems we'll no doubt encounter. Take it as it comes eh!
Yes you'll be ok.
Lots of Brits in Rangiora, we'll out number the locals soon
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:27 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Glasgow as well - and actually always feel very safe here - even when I lived in the east end. Where we're going in NZ is very quiet so can't really be compared to a city, but i felt totally safe all the time there too.

Now about the accent........nobody understood a word I said when we went on our trip - honest! I dont have a strong accent at all - but I was met with a lot of blank looks! Very funny!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

We are from Wellington, currently living in gun capital Nottingham. We had only been in a nice part of Nottingham for 2 weeks when my son's friend had his bike taken of him at knive point. I could bore you with lots more of these stories. It was one of the first things that struck us was the level of aggresion in the Uk, from the bike incident to my husband being thretened for parking outside someone's house. I am not going to say that violence, rape and murder does not happen in NZ 'cause it does like everywhere but I do believe that the daily abuse and mindless violence is much less. UK too many people in a small pond equals supermarket rage!
KAZ
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:58 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I'm from Glasgow as well - and actually always feel very safe here - even when I lived in the east end. Where we're going in NZ is very quiet so can't really be compared to a city, but i felt totally safe all the time there too.

Now about the accent........nobody understood a word I said when we went on our trip - honest! I dont have a strong accent at all - but I was met with a lot of blank looks! Very funny!
Nobody understands me either and I have a yorkshire accent. I get the same confused looks, especially if I talk fast lol
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:54 am
Just Joined

dustinthewind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
Nobody understands me either and I have a yorkshire accent. I get the same confused looks, especially if I talk fast lol
Hi
NZ is as safe as other places but it can be just as bad as others too. It really depends on the areas you want to hang out in. Im sure most countries around the world all have their so called crime hot spots as does NZ. Once you are familiar with the area you soon learn where not to go etc. Some places are fine until it gets dark & then the scum seems to come out of the woodwork. I personally wouldnt be too worried about it because it doesnt take too long to figure it out for yourself.
All I can advise is to do lots of investigating before you sign any leases or offers on houses etc. First hand impressions are always best IMHO too but I know in some case that is not always easy.

As for the accents that always brings a smile to my dial. Was down the working mens club the other night & had a real laugh when I realised our little drining school was like a little league of nations. 3 Poms, 2 Irish, 1 scottish bloke, 1 yank, 1 welshman, 2 australians & 3 Kiwis. Now if you werent used to that the accents flying around the table were amazing but surprisingly we all understand each other & always have a lot of laughs. Lord knows what anyone else in the bar thinks when we all get to talking & telling jokes. Our UK mates can sure spin a good yarn when they want too & I can tell you they are all so darn funny. Once they start on telling jokes there is no stopping them

Last edited by dustinthewind; Aug 4th 2005 at 11:55 am. Reason: getting late here folks & my fingers are ready for bed!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:04 pm

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

Agree with most of the above. I used to live in the centre of Manchester. I almost never went anywhere alone after dark - and I am a bloke. Out of all the friends I had in Manc - I was the ONLY ONE to not get mugged and threatened by some sort of weapon.

This was a fact of life. I was fully used to not carrying any bank cards (was common to get frog-marched off to the ATM and forced to give your pin and clear your daily limit) - got used to not carrying cash - or not to keep anything on you you couldn't afford to lose.

I consider myself relatively streetwise from that experience - and my "dodgy area" sensors are relatively sharp. I can honestly say that I've never rushed inside my house, or got into the car and immediately locked the doors whilst I've been in NZ. Granted - I do not go LOOKING for dodgy places, I don't spend much time wandering the streets of otara or the like after dark, but all in all... I really don't think that it's as easy to wander into a dodgy area here than back home.

Sky's comments are interesting.... It is VERY true that a lot of areas look kinda dingy and run down - especially the shops.... but it doen't take long to realise that your first impressions were way off! The 'average' kiwi house is on way more land than a house in the UK, and, unless you licve in a flat, houses are almost always "detatched".

In fact "terraced" houses are so 'odd' to the kiwi culture that the only time you'll find any - they are not even considered to BE houses - but "units" - flats.

but.... I digress.... Crime is everywhere - of course NZ has its share - but there's nowhere on earth you can go that does not have its fair share. All in all, I certainly wouldn't consider NZ dangerous - I feel far safer here than in any city in the UK.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.